Your recommendations for post-apocalyptic or dystopian books

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
baconpatroller
Bookshelf Size: 0

Your recommendations for post-apocalyptic or dystopian books

Post by baconpatroller »

For some reason I am fascinated by these kind of books. My favourites include The Stand, The Chrysalids, The Kraken Wakes, Day of the Triffids, 1984, The Road, Handmaid's Tale, etc. Which do you like?
Darian W

Post by Darian W »

1984 will always be one of my favorites. I used to be obsessed with this book and I still think Orwell had some of the most revealing political insights.

I also really like Anthem. I'm not a big fan of Rand in general but Anthem had a very uplifting individualist message, and it didn't center on why Objectivism is The Big Truth. It might be odd for a dystopian novella to be called uplifting, but in Anthem humanity is reclaimed.

We was an interesting book as well.

However, I think the most relevant depiction of dystopia is Gilliam's film Brazil: an absurd and brutal bureaucratic nightmare where a paperwork error can get you disappeared and people ignore the horror around them.
orion70

Post by orion70 »

Have you checked out "A Scientific Romance"?
smythemilie
Currently Reading: The Operator
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smythemilie.html
Latest Review: Mirrored Worlds by Tayma Tameem

Post by smythemilie »

I like the Gender Game series and The Selection series. Very different books but they worlds the authors create are amazing.
Smythemilie
BookishWorld
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by BookishWorld »

Handmaid's Tale is now a Netflix series, so finding this thread gives me the goosebumps.

Back to my current reality, the Hunger Games and Divergent series are my easy favourites. I'd check out the Gender Game and The Selection series, I think. I may as well check out the other books, too.
Rachael S 1
Currently Reading: Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachael-s-1.html
Latest Review: SandPeople by Cheryl Kerr

Post by Rachael S 1 »

William Forstchen - One Second After trilogy. I have never been so impressed. It is set in current times in a small rural town in American (I believe it is in Ohio?) One day, an EMP is set off above America, killing all electricity and technology. The first book focuses on the initial -OH sh*t- moment and trying to figure out how to deal with lack of food and medications. The second book deals with the year the next year of trying to survive and fix technology and the final book deals with the initial problem that caused the EMP to be set off. It is scary because of how close we can be to this reality. This series really makes you think - what would you do if all of a sudden technology didn't work.
Areeba M
Currently Reading: Vicious
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areeba-m.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Areeba M »

I love the The Hunger Game series. Maybe because these were my first serious books that got me into reading. Before that I use dto read a lot of Chick Lits.
Henry Patrovic
Favorite Book: A Touch of Power
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henry-patrovic.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Henry Patrovic »

I would recommend Lonely Apocalypse by Constantin Step. It’s not a classical post apocalyptic book, but it’s still really good.
Tommy Mayengbam
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tommy-mayengbam.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Tommy Mayengbam »

I like "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood.

These are in my TBR:

- The Last Children of Tokyo
- Wool
- I, Who Have Never Known Men
- Tender is The Flesh

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”