Re-reading books? Do you do it? How often?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
raindropwriter
Favorite Author: Sophie Kinsella
Favorite Book: Twenties Girl
Currently Reading: Strugling for Justice
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raindropwriter.html
Latest Review: "A Happy Accident" by Evan Tyler
fav_author_id: 2960

Re: Re-reading books? Do you do it? How often?

Post by raindropwriter »

I recently fell in love with the idea of re reading a novel. I feel its a good idea to read a novel after a gap of a year. I personally felt amazing when I re read my favorite book after a year almost.
Latest Review: "A Happy Accident" by Evan Tyler
Raven2evil
Favorite Author: Christine Feehan
Favorite Book: The Alchemist
Currently Reading: Dark Slayer
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raven2evil.html
fav_author_id: 2573

Post by Raven2evil »

I usually can't. It's never as good in my head as the first time when the scene is unfolding in my head as I read it vs when I reread and my brain will randomly jump ahead to something I remember from further along in the book. I've tried and very rarely can I re-read a book. If I do it's usually been many years since I've read the book.
sahmoun2778
Favorite Author: Dana Stabenow
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahmoun2778.html
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
Reading Device: 1400698987
fav_author_id: 10781

Post by sahmoun2778 »

I have certain authors that I will re-read just because I love the characters so much. I find them to be like comfort food for the mind. Sometimes I just need something familiar.
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
milyjohnson37
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-milyjohnson37.html

Post by milyjohnson37 »

I have re-read a couple of books, but I don't usually do it. I would have to really love the book to read it again.
RebekaV
Favorite Author: J K Rowling
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Guardian of Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebekav.html
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson

Post by RebekaV »

I reread books all the time. I only have books on my bookshelf that I know I'll reread. I don't have any ritual though, when I feel like it I just reread it. (And yes, Harry Potter is one of those I do read every year.)
"What's coming will come and we'll just have to meet it when it does." - J K Rowling
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson
sbstull5

Post by sbstull5 »

I have not re-read books since my teen years. I do not like to get rid of them though. Maybe someday they will all be new again. :shock:
Mollancholy

Post by Mollancholy »

It takes a rather special book for me to re-read it, but there are a few that've made the list over the years. For me, it's usually less to do with simply experiencing the story again and more to do with gaining a greater insight into the nuances, understanding something I didn't quite understand the first time, or because of a seasonal association with the story.

Pride and Prejudice is one I've re-read several times. The second time I read it, I did so because I felt I'd missed something. While I thought it was a lovely story, I didn't quite get the humor I'd heard so many people mention when praising Austen's work, so I thought I'd give it another shot. And it worked, so I just kept re-reading, and each time I did the book got funnier and cleverer (and more moving). Every new read helped me become more and more familiar with the language and the culture of the time in which it was written, and the greater my familiarity, the better my understanding of how truly wonderful the book really is. Not only that, but it allowed me to read the rest of Austen's books with ease and a deep appreciation for her brilliance.

There are also a couple of books I only read during the summer (Off Magazine Street by Ronald Everett Capps and Summer Sisters by Judy Blume) as part of a kind of annual tradition. It honestly doesn't ever feel like summer if I haven't read them. I'm also one of those people who re-read the Potter series every couple of years, but that's definitely more for the enjoyment of the story and just never wanting it to end.
Airam Velarde
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airam-velarde.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by Airam Velarde »

I have reread books before, but I don't do it as a ritual or anything like that. I have only reread my favorites one or two times. I can't say I am much of a re-reader. I mostly prefer to read new books, so rereading books for me is rare.
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
sbuckingham5
Currently Reading:

Post by sbuckingham5 »

Hello,

I wish I could re-read books but I constantly have a stack of books that I need to read.
cyndiha11
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndiha11.html
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne

Post by cyndiha11 »

I don't usually re-read books, but there are instances where I am bored/desperate/curious and so I'll re-read certain books.
“I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you are not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.” F. Scott Fitzgerald
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne
LozMel9

Post by LozMel9 »

It's not the same reading a book for the second time, obviously. It can be great re-reading favourite parts and picking up on bits you missed the first time around but ultimately, wouldn't you just rather read something brand new and shiny? It's my last resort.
WinterCandyMints
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wintercandymints.html

Post by WinterCandyMints »

Not very often. I would love to have time to re-read, but I have so many books. If I truly love a book, I will re-read it though. I'll make time to read it.
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

Oh...yes. I re-read my books especially the ones I find interesting but I don't do it regularly, I come back after a long while to re-read.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

Hardly ever. Even for my favourite writers. Unless, perhaps, I've forgotten all the suspenseful aspects, it'll be awful boring tonight reread a book. Unless it's just a few pages maybe.
IanYanny
Currently Reading: The Lovely Bones
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ianyanny.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by IanYanny »

I rarely reread a book unless I was bored or I currently don't have a new book to read.
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”