what do you think about e-books

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
marcuz29
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by marcuz29 »

It is really a great idea to have those e-books. Thanks for those people behind this. Imagine being able to read a book even without bringing a hard copy.

-------------------
Deals for education?
GWA

Post by GWA »

I don’t mind reading short entries of literature on blogs, but as for e-books, I find it difficult to engage with the content; not just because it isn’t tangible, but the fact that I have to try and ignore the warm and noisy computer in front of me!

GWA.
:D
BarrieReader

Post by BarrieReader »

I spend so much time with my laptop already! Going to the library or the bookstore is always an adventure for me. I much prefer curling up on the couch with an actual book. Besides which, wine spills clean up much easier from a book and a laptop :lol:
mortal_slumber

Post by mortal_slumber »

Sigh... how sad. Look, how technology is slowly dominating our lives. Even simple past times such as reading is being slowly integrated into technology. Sure, E-books are a great idea if you're a tree hugger but they're no substitute to real books, which have existed for more than a millenium. Plus, e-books give you eye strain and you get tired easily. :P
Fish.

Post by Fish. »

Ebooks are great! Cuz the place where i live, i dont have an awesome library to go to, or a good book store. Etc. So i do most of my reading on the screen =) .
But if i had a choice, i'd definitely go for a hard copy.
Pappy

Post by Pappy »

I think it's tough to read a book on a norma computer screen. Like it was said earlier, it's distracting and I spend enough time on the computer as it is. But a device that isn't backlit like the Sony reader or Kindle is much easier on your eyes and is the same size as a book and I'm much more prone to get behind that for sheer practicality of space.
mchelle

Post by mchelle »

i like the instant gratification of ebooks - no waiting, can read them without leaving the house! And yet I think reading a real book is so much more relaxing...i feel like i am working if i am sitting at my computer!
linkbuilding-services

Post by linkbuilding-services »

I think ebooks are really very useful, but you just can't have "that" reading when reading ebook.
mgladding

Post by mgladding »

I love both print and ebook formats. You can't beat print for easy reading, especially when you've gone on holiday to get away from technology.

I've read a lot of ebooks lately, except that I don't read them from the screen. Instead I convert them to speech and listen to them on my iPod while commuting. A lot of books are also being published as audio books that are either read by the author themselves or a professional narrator.

I think the dedicated ebook readers with digital inks screens (e.g. the Kindle) will make ebooks a genuine alternative to print. However they still need to do some work on the aesthetics and design - I'm waiting for the iPhone of ebook readers to appear.

To 'cherry' who was looking for some good ebooks, take a visit to my site eBooks Just Published (link in my signature below). It hasn't been running very long but already I've discovered some excellent novels by published authors that have been released as free ebooks.
Linda

Post by Linda »

e-books are pretty ill. i can have as many as i want on my laptop so when i go places i dont have to carry books around. its very practical and my eyes never hurt or anything like that.
"I hope you can't sleep and you dream about it
And when you dream I hope you can't sleep and you SCREAM about it
I hope your conscience EATS AT YOU and you can't BREATHE without me"
giedre11

Post by giedre11 »

First post here, so hello to everyone! I just had to reply to this topic as it's near and dear to my heart. First off, like everyone else here, I love to read. I love paper books almost as much as I love ebooks. The ebooks that everyone here seems to be talking about are those read on the computer. The backlight of computers, although necessary makes it hard on one's eyes and I would not really recommend reading on a computer or backlit device. I have had a Kindle for a year now and I love it. It is e-ink and not backlit. Due to the way it's made, it cannot be backlit. The Kindle or for that matter any other e-ink reader such as Sony ebook reader. or the Iliad {there are others too} are made in such a way that the more ambient light you have, the easier it is to read it. It's just like reading a pbook. The thing I absolutely love the most is the ability to carry hundreds of books with me in one small device. Sort of like an iPod for books!
Will9949

Post by Will9949 »

Hi, All, friend of mine sent me one new Ebook device called "EZ Reader".
called www mobiebook com
Have tried it and it's very easy to use. Basically, use Mobi Reader to
connect your device and pc. Most of books can be read on it. However,
they said it only support "open format". Don't know what that means?

Anyone has this device? Any comment? The price is better than Sony and
Kindle.

Will
Wisnoodles

Post by Wisnoodles »

I love reading my books on my pocket pc using ubook. I have over 600 books on a pda that fits in my pocket. My library is always with me, and one of the best things is that I can read a book with the lights off when I go to bed and not keep anyone up. I will occasionally buy the book and nothing can get better than going to the bookstore and checking out what new books are out there and look for new titles or browsing for ones I want to get in ebook format.
joejordan

Post by joejordan »

I only like ebooks that are no longer than 10 pages.

I prefer a real book otherwise.

joe
AlwisPeterP

Post by AlwisPeterP »

hey friend,

it is really sweet to hear about e-books :)

Me too want to get more ebooks about web-designing,

Where can I get it :)

Cheers

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”