what do you think about e-books

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
flashgordon
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by flashgordon »

I'm not a fan of ebooks. Perhaps some day, but right now I'm unwilling to pay $300 for a reader.
bookworm1

Post by bookworm1 »

I just bought a Sony 505 Reader with a memory card of 8 gigs its great. I seem to read faster. You can use bigger fonts. Its like reading on real paper. The chargeable batteries goes a long way on one charge. E-books are great.
BookMePlease

Post by BookMePlease »

I still like paper books, but I would do one of the readers (Kindle or Sony) before I read books on my PC.
Electronic Cigar

Post by Electronic Cigar »

Honestly I guess I am a puriest because I love reading a actual book that I can turn the pages and feel like I'm getting the full experince! SO I really don't like e-books.
TheLionKym

Post by TheLionKym »

I read eBooks too but I have two issues with them. 1. You can’t read them lying down in bed! and 2. there is no such thing as a flick through to get the feel of a book. I haven’t described 2 very well; do people understand what I mean? If yes, can you help me describe what I mean?

jansport backpacks mens ties
therewaseden

Post by therewaseden »

Of course, the "flick-through" (or flip-through) is the classic scanning of a book before you read/borrow/buy to get a feel for the author's writing style, chapter set-up, big print vs. little print ... to give you that feeling of "yeah this is for me" or "maybe I won't waste my time". Just my humble opinion :)
clgoh

Post by clgoh »

i think they are tedious to read. totally take the enjoyment out of reading. Give me a real book anytime!
simplysarah

Post by simplysarah »

For me I love the feel of a book in my hands. I get lost in the pages, I don't read books online, I haven't yet and I hope that I won't. I enjoy reading a book too much. It's so much easier to handle and deal with in my opinion.
RILENTLISS
Favorite Author: Mealea Mathews
Favorite Book: Great Expectations
Currently Reading: The Giver
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rilentliss.html
Latest Review: "Our True Origin The Real History of Man" by Scott P. Davis
fav_author_id: 1967

Post by RILENTLISS »

I like ebooks for their immediate access, but traditionally prefer paper books.
Latest Review: "Our True Origin The Real History of Man" by Scott P. Davis
bintamir

Post by bintamir »

I love e-books. I have over 400 on my kindle. I also still buy paper books. I just can't stay away.
Jen319164
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen319164.html
Latest Review: "Wishes" by Leila Virou

Post by Jen319164 »

I am personally not a fan I don't know why but I enjoy a real book so much better and I love having a library with all the books I have read and I feel like it just gives the book more personality (I don't know just my minds creepy way of working)
Latest Review: "Wishes" by Leila Virou
K_Robinson
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-robinson.html
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger

Post by K_Robinson »

E-books are convenient for the fact that you can download them instantly and read them immediately, but there is just something about an actual book in your hands that an ebook could never replace.
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
Aussie-reader

Post by Aussie-reader »

sharon.gmc wrote:ebooks are great but I love the smell and feel of traditional books. and besides you can't bring e-books to the toilet. . .
I don't read in the toilet myself - but I don't get why you couldn't read an e book there as easily as a paper book. :?

Have become converted to ebooks - I still read the occasional paper book but most of my book reading is via ipad now.
Doodahday6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doodahday6.html

Post by Doodahday6 »

I enjoy the convenience of ebooks. They are quick to receive, without even leaving your chair, and you can take lots of ebooks with you in just one device as opposed to a whole bag full of books.
ConorEngelb
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: On Writing
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-conorengelb.html
Latest Review: "Secrets of the East" by M. P. Schaefer
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by ConorEngelb »

I definitely appreciate the convenience of ebooks. I read a lot of Stephen King and some of his books are huge; it's nice to be ablet o have all of his work, and the Harry Potters and Lord of the Rings and Discworld series all contained in my Kindle. Less weight in my backpack when I take the train.
Latest Review: "Secrets of the East" by M. P. Schaefer

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”