what do you think about e-books

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
[RR]
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rr.html

Re: what do you think about e-books

Post by [RR] »

I think e-books are a good thing, specially for those people who can't afford a traditional paper/hardcover book. They are also good for those people that don't have much space to keep the traditional ones. On the other hand, it prejudices the writer a little bit, since the price goes down dramatically sometimes. Let's be honest: a writer's percentage of the book selling is very small by itself (if it has an agent, it's even smaller). Selling it as an e-book usually makes the price to be cut by half or even less in some cases. Do you think it's fair that the work of months, sometimes years or decades, is sold for a pittance? There are cases of e-books being sold for 0,70€.
So, e-books have good sides and bad sides.
Wolfsbane Creations
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wolfsbane-creations.html

Post by Wolfsbane Creations »

Liked Them
Ladybug

Post by Ladybug »

I love my e-book. It is lighter to hold than a book and with my arthritis this is a bonus. I still read books the old way if someone lends me one. I can store so many books on my e-reader so I don't have piles of books laying around unread. I also read books on my lap top so I can't honestly say which one I prefer. I just enjoy reading whatever way.
ttuso22
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ttuso22.html
Latest Review: The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by ttuso22 »

They are very convenient and cheap. Besides that I don't really see why anyone would want to buy one. There is so much missed when you don't hold the book and smell the musty worn out paper or newly printed paper of a book. I will always save books so my children and maybe even my children's children will be able to feel what a real books feels like. That's just my two cents.
If there’s a book you really want to read but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it. ~Toni Morrison
Raebaby112

Post by Raebaby112 »

I hate Ebooks. They're just so... Ugh. I love the paper books, I love to be able to hold them in my hands... To be able to see the covers as I walk towards the stairs, to touch them. To be so involved in them because you don't have to look at something bright that can give you a Headache very easily. I want to physically touch them. Not just look at them on a screen.
amansmith
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Favorite Book: Alpha and Omega and Highland Moonlight
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amansmith.html
Latest Review: "My Journey To Hell (Novelette)" by John D.Ottini
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by amansmith »

I love them. It took me a long time to start reading e-books because I didn't want to give up my hardcover books, but now I love them.
Latest Review: "My Journey To Hell (Novelette)" by John D.Ottini
hannahryder05

Post by hannahryder05 »

Traditional books will always be a winner for me but I think, given a few years, they're going to go out of date completely which is so sad! I don't have a kindle or anything but I've read books on my phone and it just wasn't the same experience as the real thing.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I read a lot of ebooks but they will never replace my love for traditional!
GeonnaMarie
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geonnamarie.html
Latest Review: "Breathing Life Into a Faded Heart" by A. Reece

Post by GeonnaMarie »

They're convenient. I like being able to have a bunch of books on a small portable tablet, however they can't ever replace actual books for me.
"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." - Robert Frost.
Latest Review: "Breathing Life Into a Faded Heart" by A. Reece
Lovely_Ink
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovely-ink.html
Latest Review: "Olympian Passion" by Andrya Bailey

Post by Lovely_Ink »

I have become a huge fan of ebooks. The lower cost has allowed me to be more adventurous in my exploration of new writers and genres.
Latest Review: "Olympian Passion" by Andrya Bailey
readinginreview4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinginreview4.html

Post by readinginreview4 »

I'd rather have a book in my hands. I'm old fashioned. I think too many people rely on electronics now and it's quite tragic. I love the feel of books. Plus, you can't throw your phone or book across the room if you get mad! Haha. :P
robind13
Currently Reading: The Lullaby Sky
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robind13.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey

Post by robind13 »

I've read some e-books but I prefer old fashioned books
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

I think ebooks are awesome. They are great because the prices of ebooks allows book lovers like us to purchase and explore new authors without going bankrupt. Also, Ereaders are very light and portable when you are traveling to and from work or just going on vacation. I really do enjoy e books.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
Alexavier-Taiga
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Favorite Book: Struck By Lightning by Chris Colfer
Currently Reading: reading five books and they wont fit
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexavier-taiga.html
fav_author_id: 2456

Post by Alexavier-Taiga »

I am not a fan. I love the smell of a new book, the sound of pages turning and the feel of paper between my finger tips. Then you get you beautiful hardcover books that just look so lovely on your bookshelf you don't want to take them out! Leather bound with a thin ribbon marker, paper back with amazing artwork on the front. The crisp whitened pages of a new book, or the rough, yellowing pages of an old family heirloom. Each beautiful in their own right and in need of love
So many books to read, so little time..
Lilapo9
Favorite Author: Diane Duane
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 29675">The Ministry of Cantors</a>
Currently Reading: Handbook for Cantors
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilapo9.html
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
Reading Device: B00EM3WGYY
fav_author_id: 4363

Post by Lilapo9 »

I think that e-books are a wonderful advancement of technology. Currently they do have a few minor issues that make them difficult to use at times. Sometimes the books will not download properly, or once downloaded the font will be so small that you need a magnifying glass to read them. I also miss the ability to take notes in the margins. I have had to rely on journaling my notes separately while reading e-books. I have also found that the e-books can be difficult to read if you are outside. I have tried various times to dim or brighten my screen so that I can read them outside on the swing during a nice day. In this case, a traditional paper book is much better.
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”