Have you ever started a book, and finished it years later?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Re: Have you ever started a book, and finished it years later?

Post by Akshi Porwal »

Yes, I started reading Wuthering height 3 years ago and only completed it last month
Archaeoptery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archaeoptery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Archaeoptery »

Yes. There was been a couple which I done it too. Usually something that would make me put it down for sometime and it long enough for me to forget about it
Amna Khalid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amna-khalid.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by Amna Khalid »

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. This was the book that I started reading but finished it after 2 years I think. Fangirl was the first book that made me regret buying.
Amna Khalid
Rachael S 1
Currently Reading: Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachael-s-1.html
Latest Review: SandPeople by Cheryl Kerr

Post by Rachael S 1 »

Never! It does not matter how bad a book is, my OCD will not let me put the book down until it is finished. What does tend to happen is that I end up watching more TV because I am not wanting to read the book.
Areeba M
Currently Reading: Vicious
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areeba-m.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Areeba M »

I am usually never like this, I can't put a book down once I start.
But somehow I've been stuck with All the Light We cannot Cannot See for about 4 years now. And it's not because I didn't like the book. I actually enjoy reading it. But for some reason whenever I start reading it, I am always interrupted by something or the other going on in life. And when I pick it up again, I don't remember the details. So I have to restart the whole book again. This has happened three times.
I have promised myself that this time I am going to complete it without any breaks.
Blessing O 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-o-2.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Blessing O 2 »

No, never. Once I start reading a book, I make sure I complete it.
Preye I
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-preye-i.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Preye I »

No but I have started a series and finished it years later. When I read the first book of the series I had no idea it was a series. I remember finishing it and feeling incomplete because it didn't have a solid ending. It felt like there was more. Years later I was at the library and I saw the same book but this time the second book beside it. All my feelings came rushing back and it made sense. Anyways I re read the first one and read the second one. And it was amazing!
Leonie Vermaak
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 608
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leonie-vermaak.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Leonie Vermaak »

No not ever. I just can't do that. I would literally frustrate me so much. Once I'm in the story and live with the characters I just have to see how it ends😄
Leonie Vermaak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 608
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leonie-vermaak.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Leonie Vermaak »

No not ever. I just can't do that. I would literally frustrate me so much. Once I'm in the story and live with the characters I just have to see how it ends.
DATo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

Long ago I started to read The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens and gave up on it early on. I just couldn't get into it. I tried rereading it about five years later and absolutely loved it. I strongly believe there is a right time in your life to read a specific book.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
ericaball
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericamartabee.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by ericaball »

Yes - The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde. I knew I would love it, but for some reason couldn't make any progress on it for years. I ended up picking it up on a visit to family in England! Which was really the perfect place to read it. It's like it was meant to be.... :)
ericaball
Currently Reading:

Post by ericaball »

akshi porwal wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 14:18 Yes, I started reading Wuthering height 3 years ago and only completed it last month
Wuthering Heights is definitely a slog if you're not in the right frame of mind for it. Congrats on getting through it!
ericaball
Currently Reading:

Post by ericaball »

Preye I wrote: 08 Feb 2022, 22:41 No but I have started a series and finished it years later. When I read the first book of the series I had no idea it was a series. I remember finishing it and feeling incomplete because it didn't have a solid ending. It felt like there was more. Years later I was at the library and I saw the same book but this time the second book beside it. All my feelings came rushing back and it made sense. Anyways I re read the first one and read the second one. And it was amazing!
Oh, that's the best feeling when you realize there's more of a story you love!! Especially when the first left you feeling unfulfilled!
ericaball
Currently Reading:

Post by ericaball »

Triduana wrote: 12 Oct 2020, 02:26
CataclysmicKnight wrote: 07 Feb 2015, 10:10 I know I'll lose a LOT of geek cred for this one, which is the preferred currency in my land, but I'd have to say the Lord of the Rings books. I don't know what it is... I loved The Hobbit, but I've tried to read The Fellowship of the Ring a half dozen times or so, and just get hung up on the long intro. While this doesn't completely belong here, since I haven't actually finished it even now, I definitely attempted to read it years later (and then years later after that, and after that...).
Same here, I started reading Fellowship for the third time, around 5 years ago and I'm about halfway through ... I haven't given up on it yet, I'm sure I'll get to the end one day!
I think a lot of us geeks really have mixed feelings about LOTR. It means a log to us, but definitely takes a lot to make it through. For me, I tend to think about all the new stuff that's been inspired by LOTR and built on the themes, and then it's hard not to get distracted by that.
sayoniwrites
Currently Reading: The Scarlet Letter
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sayoniwrites.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by sayoniwrites »

Sort of. I started Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. I started it when I was very young and couldn't keep up with it. Then I gave up. It felt like an unclimbable mountain. But recently I gave up doubting myself and picked up the book. I easily finished it to my surprise.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”