A book that has disturbed/depressed you too much

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Rebelpoet
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebelpoet.html

Re: A book that has disturbed/depressed you too much

Post by Rebelpoet »

Any of Alice Sebolds books. They are pretty affecting.
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

Sanderson's Mistborn series. It was going great, but the ending was horrible and depressing and stayed with me for days. Totally turned me off of all his works.
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
quadbrookie
Favorite Author: More than one
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quadbrookie.html
Latest Review: "Darker" by Michael Stephenson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by quadbrookie »

I had to stop reading Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver. I kept reading it later in the day and would always fall asleep while reading but, not because it was boring, it is something I do before I go to sleep. The book is like the movie Groundhogs Day, just filled with estrogen and people die no matter what scenario is changed.
Latest Review: "Darker" by Michael Stephenson
Kaylaroach217
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylaroach217.html

Post by Kaylaroach217 »

I absolutely love books that make me sad or depressed reading them. I really get into the books so I am usually left somehow emotional. If I do not feel something, even if it IS depression or scared or concerned, then the book wasn't worth reading!

-- 22 Oct 2015, 23:45 --

PS. I am a huge Dean Koontz fan!
Eponine

Post by Eponine »

I felt so unbelievably sad after reading One Day. I remember reading the book in the middle of the night and being so shocked and sad on how it played out. And of course The Fault In Our Stars. Basically any Nicholas Sparks book [The Best of Me]. As for disturbed well I might have to say Apt Pupil from Stephen King's Different Seasons. I don't really read that many disturbing books but often read sad books.
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

The metamorphosis by Franz Kafka. It's just all around disturbing and depressing.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
Sun_Loving_Bookworm
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sun-loving-bookworm.html

Post by Sun_Loving_Bookworm »

I had a hard time with "A Stolen Life" by Jaycee Dugard. I would get so mad at everyone who allowed this to happen.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I think the only book that has ever disturbed me is The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. The book didn't really make me sad it just kind of made me walk around with a grey cloud above my head a while after reading it.
fabulasaule
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulasaule.html

Post by fabulasaule »

There are many sadist authors that (it seems) want to make you feel awful. The last depressing book I have read was 'Fearful Joy' by Joyce Cary. But it was not very bad in general, I have read even more depressing ones..
Suzie Parker
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Suzie Parker »

Sybil.
19BookLoverAmy63

Post by 19BookLoverAmy63 »

Richard Adams' book "The Plague Dogs" was deeply disturbing to me. I totally understood his anti-vivisectionist message; however, his descriptions of what was done to the dogs was nauseating to me. I loved "Watership Down," but hated "Plague Dogs." In our house, when I finish a hated book, it goes flying across the room, hits the wall, then flutters to the floor like a dead butterfly. It is at this point that my husband says, "That's not going into our library, is it?" :lol:

"Plague Dogs" definitely hit the wall.
P_hernandez
Currently Reading: Miss Peregrines Home For Peculiar Children
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-hernandez.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Way" by D.F.Jones

Post by P_hernandez »

Looking for Alaska was definitely haunting. That is a book that stays with me long after I've finished reading it. Gone Girl disturbed me, initially, because I could definitely see myself in Amy's shoes, but also in Nicks. Dark Places was another one that is chilling for various reasons. But one book I could never read because the preview of four chapters actually made me nauseous was The End of Alice. I make it a point to read books that bother me so I can find out more about myself. But just from those first four chapters I had nightmares, I felt like vomitting for days. It was not something I could ever revisit. Even still, 2yrs later, I get sick when I think of it. I don't recommend reading it lol
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

For me it was Gerald's Game by Stephen King. I read it when I was 15 and have never been able to pick it up again. I don't know exactly what about it disturbed me, because I can read almost anything when it comes to horror. I have thought about re-reading it again to see if it has the same effect on me as an adult.
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

The Trial by Franz Kafka and The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka too!
P_hernandez
Currently Reading: Miss Peregrines Home For Peculiar Children
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-hernandez.html

Post by P_hernandez »

Metamorphosis was just...I agree. Just...no. (I realize that is a very lame opinion, but that book was different, indeed lol)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”