A book that has disturbed/depressed you too much

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: A book that has disturbed/depressed you too much

Post by Kia »

Yeah, I had to read metamorphosis in high school. I did not enjoy it one bit.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka and The Perfume by Patrick Süskind
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I started reading a book a few years ago called Little Face, and I was unable to finish. It's about a mother who has given birth, and after several weeks, finally decides to leave the house alone for a little bit. When she returns, she is shocked to find that her baby is not her baby. No one believes her, including her husband.
I've read other things much more disturbing, but for some reason this one really hit me.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
AT+rmarathon[16]
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-at-rmarathon-16.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by AT+rmarathon[16] »

That would be ...Toni Morrison's book Beloved...it has an eerie feeling to it, plus one cannot comprehend the amount of violence inflicted on the minds and bodies of african american slaves..makes us feel thankful for the freedom, that we often tend to take for granted
Dashkova
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dashkova »

klbradley wrote:I started reading a book a few years ago called Little Face, and I was unable to finish. It's about a mother who has given birth, and after several weeks, finally decides to leave the house alone for a little bit. When she returns, she is shocked to find that her baby is not her baby. No one believes her, including her husband.
I've read other things much more disturbing, but for some reason this one really hit me.
That sounds like a really interesting book.
rssllue wrote:Clive Barker's Books of Blood were very disturbing when I read them way back in college. Crazy guy that Clive.
I know this is a really old post, I was just talking to my mom last night about how much she loves Clive Barker's books and she said the story of his that creeped her out the most was a Books of Blood one called the Life of Death. I just added it to my reading list.

The most depressing book that I have ever read is called Kolyma Tales; it's a nonfictional book of anecdotes from the author's Gulag imprisonments. Really not cheery reading especially since it's true stories, plus the author really has a way of telling the stories in a very stark fashion that makes them hit even harder. That being said though it's actually one of my favorite books and if you're depressed it will really cheer you up and minimize your problems because you will just feel so grateful that you're not in a forced labor camp lol.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Dashkova wrote:
The most depressing book that I have ever read is called Kolyma Tales; it's a nonfictional book of anecdotes from the author's Gulag imprisonments. Really not cheery reading especially since it's true stories, plus the author really has a way of telling the stories in a very stark fashion that makes them hit even harder. That being said though it's actually one of my favorite books and if you're depressed it will really cheer you up and minimize your problems because you will just feel so grateful that you're not in a forced labor camp lol.
I recently finished Dostoyevsky's novel, The House Of The Dead which was a thinly veiled memoir of Dostoyevsky's own imprisonment in a Siberian labor camp for four years. It too was a very disturbing account of the dreadful conditions and corporal punishments the prisoners endured.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Dashkova

Post by Dashkova »

^^I read your post about it and it made me think of Kolyma Tales!
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I got extremely depressed after reading "The Music Box" by Heather Meyer. This is a very emotional and sweet story and it's actually really well-written. However, it was such a tear-jerker and I was emotionally wrecked after reading it. I have to be in a certain kind of mood to read these types of books because I was so depressed afterwards.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Amna Khalid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amna-khalid.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by Amna Khalid »

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Amna Khalid
Rosemary Owolabi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-owolabi.html

Post by Rosemary Owolabi »

I haven't come across that kind of book yet, that is why I pick my book carefully, if there is something off about it, I drop it.
If you are having a bad day, let people see that you are having a good day...Spread good vibes, people are going through a lot already. :tiphat:
Kanika Tandon
Currently Reading: Of winners and losers
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanika-tandon.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Kanika Tandon »

I got depressed just reading the blurb of a book I had a chance to review. I passed on it because I couldn't bring myself to even comprehend the blurb. It was pretty trigger-ery for me if that's a word. Suffice to say I was depressed.
Rosemary Owolabi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-owolabi.html

Post by Rosemary Owolabi »

I am sorry but it happened to me when I was still young, I can't remember the title but I still remembered how it made me feel. Awful and sad.
If you are having a bad day, let people see that you are having a good day...Spread good vibes, people are going through a lot already. :tiphat:
Bridgette C 2
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgette-c-2.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Bridgette C 2 »

None, but I had been disturbed of my want to get a copy of Percy Jackson series set. I was crying for a day because my mama won't buy me the books😅
Jolaade Idowu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deborah363.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Jolaade Idowu »

I was very disturbed when I read Phantoms by Dean Koontz. I couldn't complete the book. It was that scary.
Owuamanam Eberechukwu
Currently Reading: All will be revealed
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-owuamanam-eberechukwu.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Owuamanam Eberechukwu »

Reshmi wrote: 17 Jul 2014, 07:25 I was very disturbed by the book 'The Stand' by Stephen King and actually had to stop reading it when I was almost halfway through because it was causing me sleepless nights and I used to feel depressed after reading a few pages. Are there any such books in your experience, would like to know so that I can stay away them :)
Robert Greene The act of Seduction. I was disturbed a little. However, the book is practical and too blunt. It’s political anyway.
"I am learning every day to allow the space between where I am and where I want to be to inspire me and not terrify me."
Tracee Ellis Ross

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”