A book that has disturbed/depressed you too much

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
SharisseEM
Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 3312

Re: A book that has disturbed/depressed you too much

Post by SharisseEM »

Push by Sapphire and the sequel, The Kid. Both books are pretty depressing and disturbing. The latter more so than its predecessor. It deals with sexual abuse and whatever comes with it that affects the main characters deeply.
“I don't suffer from my insanity -- I enjoy every minute of it.”
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov is a very disturbing book because of its subject matter; pedophilia. However, the book itself is very engaging if you can delve beyond the subject matter.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

The Color Purple really depressed me. So many bad things happened to the main character that I just couldn't enjoy it. Stephen King's books, when I used to read them, always disturbed me as well.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Anacoana
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: More plentiful than cloud wisps
Currently Reading: Snuff by Terry Pratchett
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anacoana.html

Post by Anacoana »

Thirteen Reasons Why. It was compelling so I had to read it to the end, but I had to stop a lot of times too. My boyfriend has Major Depressive Disorder and several of my friend have been sexually abused/raped/molested or have depression, and some of what was said or happened in there was so accurate and close to what they've said that I needed to stop.
Dando
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dando.html
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann

Post by Dando »

I've read many sad and, I suppose, disturbing books. But I don't think I have ever read one that was too much. I generally like books like this, despite their sad content. This thread has inspired me to read some of these books!
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

Don't Tell Mommy and When Daddy Comes Home by Toni Maguire.
Those books are so disturbing and enraging.
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I'm reading a book right now for review that is seriously bringing back old memories that are not so pleasant. I'm going to have to ask the author to put a warning on it... that it can trigger flashbacks if you have had similar experiences dealing with certain types of people! :shock:
pretzelsnow
Favorite Author: Lynn Austin
Favorite Book: Long Time Coming by Edie Claire
Currently Reading: Silas Marner by George Elliot
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pretzelsnow.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 7595

Post by pretzelsnow »

I personally hate pessimistic books.They make me too sad!I would never write them!
When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann
TLGabelman
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tlgabelman.html
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel

Post by TLGabelman »

I read a book called The Blue Notebook about a girl whose father sold her into sex trafficing in India to pay off his gambling debts. I tried not to dwell on the descriptions of the acts performed on her but in the end it really depressed me. The author had an exceptional way with word and turn of phrase but in the end as a mom of two small girls i just couldnt stop picturing my child being abused and that is my worst nightmare.
“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

pretzelsnow wrote:I personally hate pessimistic books.They make me too sad!I would never write them!
They're actually pretty easy for me to write! Difficult to read though...
jillyshub52+
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Stand
Currently Reading: Revival
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillyshub52.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by jillyshub52+ »

Fault in Our Stars depressed me so much. I was listening to the audio book too. I cried for almost an hour. :cry:
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

GwenWood wrote:Lucky - Alice Siebold, that book hits way too close to home for me. Any rape scenes, for that matter are quite difficult for me to read but her story was a little too close to mine.
I am so sorry.

I avoid books my Ken Follett for that reason. I have read two by him, Pillars of the Earth and The Third Twin. Both include an actual or fantasy rape scene written from the agressor's point of view. Although Follett also writes sympathetically about the victims, he seems to understand a rapist's mindset just a little too well for my comfort. However, I am glad I read Pillars of the Earth, when in college. It brought me to tears, and really helped me sympathize with victims.

About what books a person should avoid, I think that is very personal. Different people will be depressed or even traumatized by different books. So I don't feel there is much of a shortcut to this. Just to stop reading when you start to find a book repellent. And as you come to know yourself better, you will be quicker at recognizing books that will not be worth it TO YOU.
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard
librarydancer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-librarydancer.html

Post by librarydancer »

I just finished one that I should have never read -- I was expecting more romance -- not darkness.

The series Debt Inheritance left me upset and unable to sleep well for two days.
ESQNYC
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esqnyc.html

Post by ESQNYC »

GwenWood wrote:Lucky - Alice Siebold, that book hits way too close to home for me. Any rape scenes, for that matter are quite difficult for me to read but her story was a little too close to mine.

Absolutely disturbing and depressing.
TLGabelman
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tlgabelman.html

Post by TLGabelman »

I agree with HOLDONthere reading material that effects us so personally helps us get to know ourselves better. I have read many books that are depressing and stick with me but many times when they are over with I am glad I read the story and I feel a sincere connection to the author knowing their words were placed perfectly and they have truly been able to convey something real to me.

Its unique that I have such an intense reaction to a story or even part of a story. When I find the author has presented characters who are so real I feel their emotions as my own I know I'm reading something deeply personal. I feel as im being permitted to spy on their most personal moments. Mostly if I am feeling it, it was meant to be felt.

That being said story lines that center around child abuse are particularly difficult for me. Despite the authors descriptive talents to paint a character who is very different from my own physically I can't help but picture my kids especially if they are in the same age range. I don't avoid these books but I may wait to read them until I feel emotionally ready for the tears.
“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”