Library or owning?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
NatRose
Currently Reading: The Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natrose.html
Latest Review: Who Was That Masked Kid by Dan Neiser

Re: Library or owning?

Post by NatRose »

I had such a great local library growing up. We would often check out 50 books at a time (for our family of 6). If I really liked a book or a series, then I would try to buy it later. I have a great appreciation for good libraries but at this point it's been ages since I've been to one. I don't really have room to own more books, so I'm trying to just get digital versions. Of course, ebooks aren't as good as the real thing so I still buy physical books against my better judgement more often than not.
Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by Carolreads30 »

I don't mind getting a book from the library as long as I know that I will have the time to read it. I like to own several books, but there are many times that I read books that have been checked out from our local library. My grand doll loves to read and being an active library member is important to both of us.
KimberlyS88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimberlys88.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by KimberlyS88 »

I prefer to own the book. I do use kindle unlimited but other than that, I never step inside a library and we have a very large warehouse sized used bookstore that I love spending the weekends in!
leximutia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leximutia.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by leximutia »

Library for exploring new books and authors. Owning for the books that I've greatly enjoyed.
cxsimpson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cxsimpson.html
Latest Review: How to Generate and Earn Royalty Income by Marina Peters

Post by cxsimpson »

There are some books I own just because I checked them out from the library so often it just made sense to buy.
Jac-o-lantern
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jac-o-lantern.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Jac-o-lantern »

I prefer to get books at a library unless I know that I love it or it is just a really beautiful book.
Sarah Morse
Currently Reading: The Mermaid, the Witch and the Sea
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-morse.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Sarah Morse »

For the most part, I check out my books from the library just because I can’t afford to buy many books right now. Plus I usually only read books once, so in my case, the library makes more sense.

There are some exceptions, however. My university had a book and bake sale a few times a year in which I could buy used books for less than a dollar. In those times, I usually could not help but buy a book or two or three. I will also sometimes buy from bookstores (more often indie bookstores nowadays) if I feel like the book is something I know I could use for writing research purposes or if it’s something I probably would not find in the library.
tanner87cbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanner87cbs.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by tanner87cbs »

For sure owning books!
eliviac35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eliviac35.html
Latest Review: Tears & Laughters by Ray R. F.

Post by eliviac35 »

I have to own my books. I like to write in my books and make them more personal. I also hate having a deadline to return a book.
Savannah M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savannah-m.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Savannah M »

Owning!! I love having books as a possession. That way I can easily access them rather than going to the library. I don't know why but I feel like I need to have it in my home but when I'm down with my budget I often go to the library.
Samwisekoop
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samwisekoop.html
Latest Review: Perfection and Other Illusive Things by J Mercer

Post by Samwisekoop »

Here is the thing, I LOVE having a never-ending plethora of books at my disposal. That is why I love the library. But, owning a book is just so much more. Not only can you reread it as many times as you want, without having to put it on hold, but you can also take care of it. With your books, you can control whether or not some kid with chocolate-covered hands doesn't touch it. Plus, there is just something special about owning a book that is so close to your heart! :techie-studyingbrown:
"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future." - Galadriel
Julie-p
Currently Reading: Demian
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-p.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Julie-p »

I like owning books and admiring my shelves and I never lived close to a good library. But I think even if I did, the only books I would pick up would be the ones I have to read out of obligation and the ones I don't want to spend any money on.
ngocarolyn
Currently Reading: I'll Be Gone in the Dark
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngocarolyn.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by ngocarolyn »

Definitely own. For some reason I just gotta have my own library in my own room. Looking at the books sitting in the shelves makes me so happy... so expensive, but so happy... :?
HusainNecklace52
Favorite Book: The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto
Currently Reading: A History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-husainnecklace52.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by HusainNecklace52 »

I'm the kind of guy who is really attached to his books.
I horde books like crazy! But I've also realized that these days carrying more than one book around with me has been a hassle, and I'm the kind of guy who reads two books at once. For that reason, I guess, I've been so fond of ebooks and kindle these past few months. It simply brings a lot of ease and movement to the table and allows you to pack light.
Alas, I still love owning books though. I don't think I'll ever stop buying books!
sevillagirl18
Currently Reading: China rich girlfriend
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevillagirl18.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by sevillagirl18 »

I used to LOVE buying books, but now that I'm older, I enjoy utilizing the library more. For me, it's more cost-efficient. Plus, I don't have all the extra clutter of having a huge collection, which is super important when living in a tiny apartment.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”