Do you feel it is rude to interrupt someone while reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Rhiannon
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhiannon.html

Re: Do you feel it is rude to interrupt someone while readin

Post by Rhiannon »

Yes it is extremely rude. I get lost in my own little world and then im interrupted repeatedly. I have learned to ignore the interruption until I am at a place where i can stop then I will turn my attention to the person trying to interrupt me unless it is something important.
Mike_Lang
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 50592">The Life and Times of The Thunderbolt Kid</a>
Currently Reading: Mississippi Noir
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mike-lang.html
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mike_Lang »

Depends a lot on who is doing the interrupting and why. Many times I have been reading outdoors, on a park bench or at a picnic table, and some random person has tried to start a conversation...while I appreciate that they are probably just bored or lonely I am occupied with something - I am reading!

In these situations I try to just give one word responses so they will get the hint but very often they don't.
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
f_the_merch

Post by f_the_merch »

Definitely! I think it's incredibly rude to interrupt someone while they're reading, especially if they have the signature look of utter concentration on the face (eyebrows knitted together, fists clenched around book, etc.).
BrownGirlBookSlayer

Post by BrownGirlBookSlayer »

I'm a mother of six so interruptions happen. I wouldn't bother a total stranger though unless absolutely necessary.
Reyes183
Currently Reading: You're Next
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyes183.html

Post by Reyes183 »

I am an avid reader and book collector. I know how it feels to be into a really good book. It is a feeling like you are actually in the story itself, yet you are standing in area where you are just witnessing everything that is going on. So yes i definitely agree that interrupting someone who is reading is very rude. I try to get everything i need to get done, out of the way before i start reading. I also ask my family to please not interrupt me while i am reading unless ,it's an emergency. I have a private library at home and i go there.It is cozy and very quiet and i am able to enjoy all my reading there.
Xander_22
Currently Reading: The Brothers Karamazov
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xander-22.html

Post by Xander_22 »

Yes I do think it's rude, but I don't let it bother me that much. I can always get back to reading after I hear what they say. However, if I experience numerous interruptions then I will say something so I can have my privacy.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Hey! I'm trying to read here! :angry-banghead: :eusa-whistle:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Kaitlyn12
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0">Lost</a>
Currently Reading: City of Bones
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn12.html
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez

Post by Kaitlyn12 »

Yes, I think it can be rude. I get very frustrated when I am sitting there reading, obviously not wanting to talk to anyone and they come up and just start a conversation with me. It really feels like someone is interrupting my conversation that I am having with someone else. So annoying! Unless it is an emergency, do not disturb me when I am reading!
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez
Zoe303
Favorite Book: And Then There Were None
Currently Reading: Around the World in Eighty Days
Bookshelf Size: 240

Post by Zoe303 »

I do consider it rude. When someone sees that I'm immersed in a book, it should be obvious that I don't want to be interrupted. However, if the person decides to do it anyway even though s/he knows I'll be annoyed then that's definitely rude, especially if the interruption can wait.
“Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.” –P.J. O’Rourke
TheRavenwoodReview
Currently Reading: The Nightingale
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theravenwoodreview.html

Post by TheRavenwoodReview »

Yes, I think it is rude unless the interruption is very important and requires your immediate attention. I view it the same way if someone is on a phone call; wouldn't that be rude to interrupt a phone conversation? It's the same thing to me. My husband pauses his movies when I interrupt (sorry, not sorry) and is visibly annoyed. He talks to me constantly while I try to read which drives me bonkers!! I guess I should find a good hiding spot when I'm reading. Laundry room? He'd never go in there, LOL!!
annabanana
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annabanana.html
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by annabanana »

It depends on the book that I am reading at the time, and who is interrupting me. If it is an important conversation that I need to be apart of then they can interrupt me. But, I do not think it's kind to do so. It's not rude though to an extent they do not understand or have the love of books as you do so they do not know. I wouldn't interrupt someone because I love books and its there right to continue reading. My family always says that if I put a book down to talk to someone I must really love them. Overall, its a matter of opinion and how you would react that shows if you think it is rude. I do not think it's rude but I don't think you should do it if you have the choice.
brittany_anne
Currently Reading: Mrs. Grant and Madame Jule
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-anne.html

Post by brittany_anne »

Yes! I don't know if I find it rude but it is very annoying. I try and read at work but people constantly try to talk to me so I gave up. :( Just leave me and my book in peace! #readerproblems
justwinkie

Post by justwinkie »

Depending on how interesting the book is, I do tend to get very annoyed!

Usually my fiancee will know, and asks if I'm at an important part of my book before he tries to start a conversation with me. I feel it would be as if you were watching a movie and someone barges in and turns on the lights and just starts a conversation. It is rude.
karigirl84
Currently Reading: World War Z
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karigirl84.html

Post by karigirl84 »

My husband does this all the time. I put our son to bed and just about sit down and now he wants to talk non-stop. :evil: I don't read constantly, and if it's important I don't mind at all, just the "hey watch this," every ten seconds. That, I feel is rude.
+TheREADER+

Post by +TheREADER+ »

"I think its very rude, but every where I go to read I someone is always interrupting me and I get so mad I want to scream at them,Do you want me to chunk this book at your face, but I dont because books are bae."But I think its very rude to interrupt someone when their reading."

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”