Do you feel it is rude to interrupt someone while reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Re: Do you feel it is rude to interrupt someone while readin

Post by Skillian »

I've totally had that happen. I've gone like a full 30 hours without eating and I'm just like wait.. it was just 8am... now its 2pm the following day... how am I alive? *drinks water and eats furiously*
I love LOVE. <3
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough
abbierakes
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbierakes.html
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by abbierakes »

Yes I believe that it is rude. I try to not interrupt people who are reading because I know how much it irritates me when people do it to me.
lincolnp

Post by lincolnp »

rssllue wrote:I suppose it is an interruption when the cat just saunters over the book that you are reading. I think that is quite rude!
One of my HUSBAND's cats feels the need to lay down right in the middle of it. I do understand that I am his favorite human - it cracks me up. (his name is Mr Tom Bombadil. Affectionately known as Mr. B.)
bedheadisme
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bedheadisme.html

Post by bedheadisme »

I hate when I'm in a public place reading a book, blatantly trying to ignore everyone, and I am interrupted when reading. No. I don't want to be hit on. I'm reading. Yes. It's a good book. *holds up cover of book over face when asked what I'm reading*
melissayeoman

Post by melissayeoman »

I have become a champion of tuning people out when I'm reading. I have repeatedly told my family to make sure they have my attention before they start talking when there is a book in front of me because they have had long one-sided conversations where I had no idea they were even talking. So much so that my family will answer for me if they are around and someone else tries to talk to me when I'm reading. I've caught my granddad smiling and shaking his head when I'm reading and people are trying to talk to me.
AJKavanagh

Post by AJKavanagh »

Yes, and getting repeatedly interrupted so that I never get past the same page drives me bat-sh*t crazy.
LiaLinAri

Post by LiaLinAri »

If it weren't reading and it were something else, interrupting is rude. So, why wouldn't it apply to reading?
Yet, I'm always interrupted while reading and it pisses me off.
abookishblogger
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abookishblogger.html

Post by abookishblogger »

If someone is interrupting me for no reason, to say hi, ask me a stupid question and stuff like that... THEN YES. It annoys the crap outta me!
atalayamonia 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atalayamonia-18.html

Post by atalayamonia 18 »

Definitely! I'm always grumpy when my grandma asks me something while I'm reading.
TextOfLex
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-textoflex.html

Post by TextOfLex »

At home or in public transit, yes, it's rude. If you're reading a work and I have a work related question I will interrupt, but that usually follows up with me asking what they are reading.
nitalabrod

Post by nitalabrod »

thanks for sharing
lorenicole
Favorite Author: Laurell K Hamilton
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorenicole.html
Latest Review: "Loose Tooth Trouble" by Melissa Bixby
Publishing Contest Votes: 12

Post by lorenicole »

I totally think it is rude. I hate when my hubby keeps interrupting me while I read. Reading is my "me time". Since I know I hate being interrupted I seldom interrupt others while they are reading unless it is for something very important.
Latest Review: "Loose Tooth Trouble" by Melissa Bixby
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

I think but at the same time, I read when I should be working, so I can't complain :P
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
samantharaye

Post by samantharaye »

I also feel that it can be rude. I know that I myself get so far deep into a book that I completely forget things around me. My partner understands this and will only "disturb" me if I start to act restless or if I close the book.
-AM-

Post by -AM- »

I feel it is rude, however if you are a heavy reader like myself sometimes it has to happen because there is not many times I dont have my kindle going. I would say it is depending on the situation. I mean if you are only wanting to know the time then yea thats rude but if you have a legit question, concern or need then I dont mind UNLESS you do it say 20 times when you know I am busy trying to meet a deadline or whatever.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”