Do you feel it is rude to interrupt someone while reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Alexavier-Taiga
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Favorite Book: Struck By Lightning by Chris Colfer
Currently Reading: reading five books and they wont fit
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexavier-taiga.html
fav_author_id: 2456

Re: Do you feel it is rude to interrupt someone while readin

Post by Alexavier-Taiga »

I am constantly reading, and as such, I am constantly being interrupted. If I see someone else reading, but I need to ask them a question I always very quietly say "when you get a moment, I would like to ask you something.." So that when they finish that page/sentence/paragraph they can help me. I do not want to interrupt someone halfway through a sentence!
traciegolden
Favorite Author: Charles Dickens
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Deathy Hallows
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-traciegolden.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2384

Post by traciegolden »

Yes I do I hate it when my stepdad says something to me when I a am reading and I have to be pulled out of the story. Hate it so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: The Silent Shadow by Pat S. Clarke

Post by GKCfan »

Yes. If you interrupt me while I'm reading, you'd better be able to run faster than I can. All kidding aside, I hate being interrupted while I read.
3chicnP
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-3chicnp.html

Post by 3chicnP »

That's hard to say because if I'm in the "zone", I can read for hours without noticing my surroundings. I don't think it is because you can stop for a while to talk to a real live person.
I am a free spirit
like mafia
Myown
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Myown »

Yes. I think it's very rude and annoying. If something or someone has my attattention, then you should wait until you have my attention or politely try to get my attention. In my opinion, any other way is just rude :/
gypsy2413

Post by gypsy2413 »

I only think it's rude if I'm constantly being interrupted..........otherwise, it's not a problem...............
TibbyK
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tibbyk.html

Post by TibbyK »

It depends, sometimes the book is slightly boring and I can tune in and out with no problem. However, if it's deeply interesting, I can't stand being distracted.
gervaisk
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gervaisk.html

Post by gervaisk »

I do think it's rude. I hate it when people ask me questions when I am reading. I jump into a book and give my full concentration to what I am reading. So when I am bothered it really upsets me. I give other readers the same consideration.
Noeld
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noeld.html

Post by Noeld »

Unless you're dying and I am the only person left in the world to save them, I do not want to be interrupted. It takes me a while to really get into what I'm reading each time I sit down to do so and if someone interrupts me (especially if it's something stupid that I don't care about) I will get very, very frustrated.
Meehan_Connor
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meehan-connor.html
Latest Review: "Take Back the Memory" by Augustine Sam

Post by Meehan_Connor »

It's the same thing for me as listening to music with both headphones in: I'm busy!
Latest Review: "Take Back the Memory" by Augustine Sam
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

I can read in crowded, noisy places like bus stops or waiting rooms.

I'm not sure if it bothers me or humors me, but I often have people interrupt me when I'm reading to say something along the lines of, "how can you focus on reading in here?" :lol:

Here's a semi-related meme:
Attachments
pet-peeve.jpg
pet-peeve.jpg (29.4 KiB) Viewed 773 times
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Scott wrote:I can read in crowded, noisy places like bus stops or waiting rooms.

I'm not sure if it bothers me or humors me, but I often have people interrupt me when I'm reading to say something along the lines of, "how can you focus on reading in here?" :lol:

Here's a semi-related meme:
I can relate to that! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ramona
Favorite Author: Too many...
Currently Reading: Burn Zones
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramona.html
Latest Review: "My Life In The Dirt: Adventures Of A Suburban Organic Farmer" by J. Don Bell
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Ramona »

Rude? Not necessarily. It depends on what I'm reading. Welcome? Not always, but... my husband and I both love to read and often we are reading at the same time. Every once in a while, he or I will be reading a passage that we want to share with the other person. It's not frequent... might only happen once during a reading session or maybe not at all. But if either of us finds a paragraph or two that affects us so strongly that we want to share, then it's not a problem. A "do you mind if I read this to you?" is all it takes and then we both get to enjoy that passage and a bit of discussion before going back to our individual reading. It just makes our reading experiences all the richer for sharing. And if the interruptions are for other reasons, they are usually something important. Personally, I don't mind a cute picture being shared if it invokes a smile or a laugh-out-loud moment. A smile or a good laugh is a healthy thing. Now if that were to happen every five minutes, I would feel differently about it!
Numbers 6:24-26 The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace.
Latest Review: "My Life In The Dirt: Adventures Of A Suburban Organic Farmer" by J. Don Bell
Kierst

Post by Kierst »

I think it depends on why you're interrupting the person reading. I have two small children, so I'm no stranger to interruptions.
Christie86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christie86.html

Post by Christie86 »

I only think it is rude when it's that persons obvious down time. If said person is reading and shirking their responsibities I don't think it is rude for say a child to interrupt because they want your attention, or a Hubby wanting to chat about his day. I think it comes down to what your priorities are. Personally, I get so involved in my books I have a very difficult time putting the book down and being interrupted while reading annoys me so much that I cannot even read during the day at all. So I found reading in the evenings when I don't have to feel guilty about not doing whatever it is I need to be doing, solves the problem of being interrupted and I can read in peace.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”