Do you feel it is rude to interrupt someone while reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Reannamation
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Do you feel it is rude to interrupt someone while readin

Post by Reannamation »

I feel like it's the same as interrupting someone on a phone call.
KAnne820
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanne820.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by KAnne820 »

I do feel it is rude to be interrupted while reading unless it's of importance.
TJayne89
Currently Reading: The Daylight War
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjayne89.html
Latest Review: "The Jester's Club" by D. E. Zlotnik

Post by TJayne89 »

Yes, I do think it is rude to interrupt someone when they are reading. Reading is suppose to be a chance to relax and take some time away from the day to day chaos of life.

However, I do see the flip side as well ...

My partner doesn't read and likes to interrupt me regularly especially by reading out loud, a random section from the book I am reading. He feels that I should read when he is not around, so that I can spend quality time with him when he is.

I suppose some people see it as being anti social which is understandable. I can't stand seeing people constantly on their phones instead of communicating with the people around them. So I can see how it is probably seen the same way.

So yes, it is rude to be interrupted but it is also rude to read when there are other people around. Just like everything in life you can't please everyone ... :techie-studyingbrown:
Latest Review: "The Jester's Club" by D. E. Zlotnik
anamcara
Bookshelf Size: 511
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anamcara.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by anamcara »

Unless it is urgent or an emergency, it is, in my opinion, very rude. It is so annoying and maddening!
"Of the knowledge of man, nothing is more unintelligible than the
human heart."

-Homer
fiteshanda8

Post by fiteshanda8 »

I find it incredibly rude on one hand. In some cases, however, I understand. Not saying I'm happy about it... or nice about it... but I get it. When I read I can sit for hours if left uninterrupted. Sometimes I get so deep into a book that my husband will have to remind me that it's been 4 hours and we have some stuff to do. But when I pick up a book and someone interrupts me continuously over the dumbest things i just want to punch them in the face. Again. And again. And again.
Anarala
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anarala.html
Latest Review: "A World Outside" by Daniella Rae

Post by Anarala »

What I hate the most is being lost in a book at work and people come up to me to ask me about reading. It is always questions like What are you reading? I bet you hate being interrupted when you are reading huh? Do you always read in your free time? I just want to tell them all to leave me alone and let me get back to my book.
Latest Review: "A World Outside" by Daniella Rae
nutmeg95
Currently Reading: Brother Odd
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by nutmeg95 »

I do think it's rude. Unless it's something very important, like if the house or building is on fire.
Tgoody53015
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6356">The Girl On The Train</a>
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tgoody53015.html
Latest Review: "Straight Ahead, In the Dark" by S. M. Bailey

Post by Tgoody53015 »

I would have to say yes and no depending on if it is for something important. When I do read I normally do it while my husband and I are just relaxing. He will normally watch TV or do stuff on the computer while I read. He knows that I have a hard time concentrating while reading so he is pretty good about not bothering me too much. But if its something important I don't mind.
Latest Review: "Straight Ahead, In the Dark" by S. M. Bailey
tortoise keeper
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tortoise-keeper.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Reading Device: B0192AFG7A

Post by tortoise keeper »

I'm not usually bothered when someone interrupts me while I'm reading. I do get very absorbed in what I am reading and it does jolt me out of it. Honestly though, as much as I read, if people didn't interrupt me I probably would not ever talk to anyone.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
AustinTyler

Post by AustinTyler »

I find this incredibly rude. When reading you basically see the entire story unfold like a movie in your head. Now imagine going into a cinema and start talking and interrupting everything. I think we all know how that's ends up.

:D
Fortheloveofreading

Post by Fortheloveofreading »

It IS rude! I have a rule at my house and it is unless you are bleeding, don't interrupt my reading. :D
Mellient
Currently Reading: Marked
Bookshelf Size: 418
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellient.html

Post by Mellient »

Without hesitation it is the rudest thing to do to anyone! I also like how Buzzfeed put a video out about a girl getting interrupted while reading Wild by Cheryl Strayed. It is a great video to watch!
Sarah Penney
Favorite Author: Tom Clancy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-penney.html
Latest Review: The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch
fav_author_id: 7289

Post by Sarah Penney »

I think it can be rude, but it really depends on the situation. I mean, to the same extent, if someone is trying to talk to you and you ignore them in favor of reading a book, that also can be pretty rude. While I'll admit that I can be annoyed if someone interrupts me while I'm reading, I think it's also important to remember that the book will still be there. Once that person is done talking to me, the book will still be in my hands, whereas on the flip-side, ignore them enough, and people will eventually stop trying to talk and maybe even stop wanting to.

Not exactly a great alternative.
"My best friend is a person who will give me a book I have not read." -Abraham Lincoln
Jay_Kewi

Post by Jay_Kewi »

Yes. I hate it when I'm in the middle of a good scene: the furious battle or the romantic kiss in the rain. Then someone asks for a pencil or what's the time. I'm ready to slap them so I wouldn't do it to anyone else.
Slytherin_gurl
Favorite Book: I'll Point to Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slytherin-gurl.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Slytherin_gurl »

Yes, it is very rude to interrupt someone while they are reading. :shock:

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”