Have you read 'The Beach' by Alex Garland?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Quianna
Bookshelf Size: 0

Have you read 'The Beach' by Alex Garland?

Post by Quianna »

I finished it yesterday, and it has to be of the most brilliant books I've read yet. It completely freaked me out; I picked it up on impulse and when reading it by candlelight in the night it pretty much terrified me. It's not even supposed to be 'scary', I think it's just the grotesque peculiarity of it. The summary is:

Richard, a gap-year-student, is introduced to a beautiful island by the mysterious Daffy. But with drugs and the glamorized violence of Vietnam War films haunting his perception of his Thai paradise, Richard soon finds the hideaway becomes a nightmare. A compulsive adrenaline rush, The Beach is an adventure you'll never forget.

For those who haven't read it and enjoy fictional weirdness, I suggest you read it, and for those who have, what do you think? Did you get the same chilling feeling that I did? It makes me desperately want to travel. Especially to Thailand.
futureperfect

Post by futureperfect »

I read the beach about 8 years ago just before the film came out, i'm so glad i did as i personally think its pretty rubbish.
The book has always stayed with me, and everyone i've ever lent it to have read it in days as they've been unable to put it down.

Its a great story the only think that i have found is over the years i've tried to pick it up again and every time I'm unable to re-read it. (not sure if this is a good thing!)
One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret
giorgia

Post by giorgia »

i have watched the movie and thoroughly enjoyed it, although the scenes where Richard began to lose his mind were irritating. i wanted to read the book after but didnt get round to it, but your comments have motivated me. i will buy it off amazon tonight :)
Rosemary Owolabi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-owolabi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Rosemary Owolabi »

It is good to check such a book out. I like when people give various different reactions to the same novel or movie.
If you are having a bad day, let people see that you are having a good day...Spread good vibes, people are going through a lot already. :tiphat:
Bridgette C 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgette-c-2.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Bridgette C 2 »

Not yet. I haven't heard of it until now...
Mari Thompson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mari-thompson.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Mari Thompson »

This book sounds like it would be good. I might have to check it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”