Have you read a classic recently?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
krisliz88
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Heartsick
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krisliz88.html
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: Have you read a classic recently?

Post by krisliz88 »

I recently read a few books that I read back in high school and some that I really should have read in high school but just faked. 'The Great Gatsby' was on my list. I enjoyed the book but I found that some of the characters annoyed me, especially the women. I think that I am a tomboy so when 'girly girls' such as Daisy come along they just get under my skin for some reason. This was a book that I should have read back in high school and I wish that I had paid more attention to because in a lot of ways I probably would have related a lot to Nick. Nick was essentially the 'outsider' who was trying his hardest just to fit in with the 'cool crowd'.

The other book that I read that I did enjoy was 'Animal Farm'. I had never read the book before and I thought that the premise and the undertones of the book were interesting. I could see either an English teacher or a History teacher using this in their teaching. The use of propaganda and what that propaganda can turn into sometimes is a good lesson for anyone.
jnoel0908
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jnoel0908 »

After finishing the lovely Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon, I didn't want to start any other contemporaries for a while. She is amazing while most new books are annoying to me. So I read Brave New World (Huxley), 1984 (Orwell), The Sirens of Titan (Vonnegut), and I am in the middle of Crome Yellow (Huxley), and Slaughter House 5 (Vonnegut). Did you notice who I am not repeating? That's right, Orwell is a drudgery to get through. I have heard Animal Farm is more direct but I am honestly afraid to even try.
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

jnoel0908 wrote:After finishing the lovely Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon, I didn't want to start any other contemporaries for a while. She is amazing while most new books are annoying to me. So I read Brave New World (Huxley), 1984 (Orwell), The Sirens of Titan (Vonnegut), and I am in the middle of Crome Yellow (Huxley), and Slaughter House 5 (Vonnegut). Did you notice who I am not repeating? That's right, Orwell is a drudgery to get through. I have heard Animal Farm is more direct but I am honestly afraid to even try.
Yes, Orwell is pretty easy to understand because the analogies are too obvious, impossible not to understand.
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
Andreas107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andreas107.html

Post by Andreas107 »

Well, I just read "Of Mice and Men" it was pretty good, also "The Bronze Bow" is great.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I'm reading Pride and Prejudice again. Here's hoping that I can make it through sanely.
angelbeats1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelbeats1.html
Latest Review: Iran Before . . . by Dennis Briskin

Post by angelbeats1 »

Sadly, I have never had any interest in classic books. They just seem to bore me to tears. Don't take me wrong, I appreciate them and all, but I just can't get through the classic books. Maybe I have a short attention span? The last classic I tried to read was "Frankenstein" only because I was forced in school.
GHood11391

Post by GHood11391 »

In February I read Gone with the Wind and I loved it!
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

No, I have not read a classic recently. I have read many classics before, such as Gone With the Wind, Pride and Prejudice, and Frankenstein, but I have not read any recently.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Tazpocket
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tazpocket.html

Post by Tazpocket »

I love reading Pride and Prejudice from time to time. It is nice to read about a place with structure, where you know how things should be. I most likely could not survive in such a world, but getting to escape the chaos into it is very nice.
KitCat9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitcat9.html

Post by KitCat9 »

No not really, I usually read a lot of young adult and teen fiction.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Hmm, it has certainly been awhile for me. I believe the last classic I read was Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck Probably about 2 years ago
ReadandRoll[
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: There are several
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... nbroken</a>
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower IV
Bookshelf Size: 550
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReadandRoll[ »

To Kill a Mockingbird and Animal Farm this month.
s_mores

Post by s_mores »

Just started reading The Three Musketeers. Loving the classics lately!
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

I just read Pride and Prejudice again. I was in the mood for a classic!
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
marlajane88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marlajane88.html

Post by marlajane88 »

I recently read "The Awakening" by Kate Chopin for the third time. It really is an amazing book and I find that I connect with it in a different way every single time that I read it.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”