Do errors bother you?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Re: Do errors bother you?

Post by Renu G »

Too many spelling and grammatical errors are very annoying and break the flow of a book. It has to be very engrossing for me to overlook them.
finebunchofnothing
Currently Reading: The Bookshop
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-finebunchofnothing.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by finebunchofnothing »

If the plot is intriguing, I don't pay attention to errors; who cares about a missing comma if one plot twist is followed by another and I need to figure out what will happen to my favourite character? However, if the book is weak, I start noticing those small things, and they make me dislike the book even more.
And our dreams will break the boundaries of our fear
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

If there are enough errors, it breaks the flow and removes the reader from the store. That's the opposite of what the writer should be trying to accomplish, which is immersing the reader in the world of the book. So, yes, errors can be seriously detrimental to the reading experience.
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Post by Aniza Butt »

If the story is great, the errors don't bother me but if the story isn't interesting, they can be bothersome.
"Fine...Make your villain."
`Darkling`
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

I am so glad I came across this discussion. Because of a great many editing errors, I have just decided not to read a book I had chosen to review. This was the first time for me and I was a little bothered. I do not mind a few mistakes, for I make them too, but in this particular case they were soooo many that it was difficult to understand what the author meant.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I do get bothered by errors, but for me to drop a book because of them, I have to be taken out of the immersion of the experience. For example, errors in indie books don't bother me as much, so long as the story and characterisation is engaging, but intentional errors in regional dialects do because I find it much more difficult to read the book because of it.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
writingShannon
Currently Reading: The Channeler
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshanmar12.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by writingShannon »

Most grammar and spelling errors really don't bother me much, and so I really struggle to find them when doing reviews! However, I do go insane with factual errors, or inconsistencies in stories. For example, if the characters visit somewhere I've been, and obviously the author hasn't been there because it isn't correct. Or if the character has blue eyes in one chapter and brown in the next.
Shannon
:techie-reference:
“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
― C.S. Lewis
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

A few errors don't bother me. However, if there are a ton of errors, each one is pulling me out of my reading and it is extremely annoying.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
ayomie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomie.html
Latest Review: Cancer on a Harley or is it? Lyme Disease by Lisa Heather Torbert

Post by ayomie »

Errors put me off and dampens my interest in the story.
“I have experienced many times
since then that I don’t always have
to prove I’m right to win at the
game of life."
Rob White
Ragnar Lothbrok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ragnar-lothbrok.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by Ragnar Lothbrok »

Not really, errors don't bother me as long as they're minimal. Personally I've read books that are honestly not professionally edited and you can tell right away by the number of errors you come across. Fortunately, the number of errors are minimal most of the times.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

Yes, honestly errors do bother me. Only when they are huge or a error as far as something that was earlier discussed in the book and then misstated later.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

Yes, they bother me, but I also know that it's EXTREMELY difficult to produce a 100% perfect manuscript. The best thing about Kindle books—the author can correct these errors as they are discovered.
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by srividyag1 »

Yes, it irritates me to no end. Sometimes I feel like dumping a poorly edited book, yet I soldier on of the story is good enough and I need to review it. A perfectly edited book gives me utmost pleasure.
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.
jlynnp
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlynnp.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by jlynnp »

Poorly edited books are unprofessional. Unfortunately, they almost always pull me out of the action but what is worse is poorly written books. I mean a proofreader can only do so much and if you're reading a mystery with a lot of strangely constructed sentences you can't build confidence in the author being able to communicate what they need to.
ElizaPeaks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by ElizaPeaks »

I used to have an English professor who, when finding an error in a book she had assigned, would tell us, "Y'all deserve better than this. This editor did you guys dirty! Can you believe them not catching that? After all these reprints?" I can accept minor errors in books that are very new or that haven't had many reprints over the years, but gosh! I was so appalled the first time that I found an error in a well-established book that had seen so many reprints!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”