Do you find comfort being in a bookstore?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Indhira_Me
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-indhira-me.html

Re: Do you find comfort being in a bookstore?

Post by Indhira_Me »

Book stores are great! I just love to simply walk (wander) between shelves. The rows and rows of books gives me an overwhelming urge to buy them all at once.
atoillion

Post by atoillion »

The quite, the smell of a new book, the comfy chairs and a step back from the hustle and bustle of a busy and hectic world is great. So yes, I absolutely find comfort in a bookstore.
[irenecunningham]93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irenecunningham-93.html

Post by [irenecunningham]93 »

I find bookstores really relaxing. I love the smell of ink and the paper. I love the feel of covers and the pages. I personally prefer paperback to hardback books. I love how quiet the store is-I go to the local barnes and nobles the most often. I find myself drawn to different books; sometimes because of the title, sometimes it's the font or the pictures that makes me pick it up. But the bookstore is warm and comfy, I don't even mind sitting on the floor to examine which new treasures I am going to take home. My only problem with book stores is I have too little time and too little money!

-- 18 Nov 2014, 14:32 --

I find bookstores really relaxing. I love the smell of ink and the paper. I love the feel of covers and the pages. I personally prefer paperback to hardback books. I love how quiet the store is-I go to the local barnes and nobles the most often. I find myself drawn to different books; sometimes because of the title, sometimes it's the font or the pictures that makes me pick it up. But the bookstore is warm and comfy, I don't even mind sitting on the floor to examine which new treasures I am going to take home. My only problem with book stores is I have too little time and too little money!
ladykait116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladykait116.html

Post by ladykait116 »

Yes! There's something about bookstores that makes me feel relaxed. I love going to this used bookstore because I always find so many good books. Also the book secton at Ollie's Outlest because the books there are really cheap. If someone took me on a date to a bookstore, I would love them forever xD
therhinofam
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-therhinofam.html

Post by therhinofam »

I do love spending time in bookstores! Being around books and the overall ease of the stores resonate with me.
“I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will.”
― Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre
moozie

Post by moozie »

Absolutely. the energy of being around all the books as well as being able to browse through a book is priceless.
sahmoun2778
Favorite Author: Dana Stabenow
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahmoun2778.html
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
Reading Device: 1400698987
fav_author_id: 10781

Post by sahmoun2778 »

I spent a wonderful afternoon today wandering around in Barnes & Noble. I went in for 1 book and came out with 3. What could be better!
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Actually, I tend to have anxiety attacks in bookstore. I have a horrible time making decisions, and seeing all of the books just kind of freaks me out a little bit. I have to really narrow my focus to a small section, and then I just kind of pick and choose at random... most of the time I don't buy anything though... too overwhelming!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I love browsing bookstores, especially independent ones. Sadly, the indie stores are becoming scarce. If I find one while travelling, it's like being a toy store. Seeing the way they arranging the front window and the tables in the store, it's all good. There is something so comforting about walking around a bookstore, like visiting an old friend.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Just went there yesterday. It felt super comfy! :D
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
E-Frapp
Favorite Author: Hemingway - King
Favorite Book: A Moveable Feast
Currently Reading: Doctor Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-frapp.html

Post by E-Frapp »

I love standing between shelves of books. It's so comforting! I love walking into a random section and looking at the different titles/topics. I could do it for hours!
Where will you be in a year?
CYMH090909
Favorite Author: P.C. Cast
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cymh090909.html
fav_author_id: 4610

Post by CYMH090909 »

I definitely find it comforting being in a bookstore. I feel like I'm around people like me. I also love the smells of a bookstore, it's usually a mixture of old and new books with coffee. :D
*The truth doesn't always hurt*
TLGabelman
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tlgabelman.html
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel

Post by TLGabelman »

Absolutely! Bookstores are my personal therapy. I can wander, pick up a book, thumb through a couple of pages with no pressure. Im not inherently social so the decrease in pressure to hold a conversation and maintain eye contact is refreshing. Also when you are looking for a book you are doing so with the mind set of situating yourself in a comfortable location and entering mentally into a new world while simultaneously dislocating from your current reality...its refreshing. Added bonus you are joined by people with like-mindedness, no judgement, no pressure.
“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel
Alexandra Bayer
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Favorite Book: Vampire Academy Series
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandra-bayer.html
Latest Review: "Anonymous" by Christine Benedict
fav_author_id: 782

Post by Alexandra Bayer »

For sure! Unless it's just a stand or small sections of books - I just find those a bit distracting. ;) But I love to walk into Chapters and smell the books and coffee (there's a Starbucks inside). Then I just pick out about 10 books to buy and start reading them.
Think, believe, manifest.
Latest Review: "Anonymous" by Christine Benedict
Dando
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dando.html
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann

Post by Dando »

Oh I love being in bookstores. I think I could live in Barnes and Noble...
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”