Did you find reading or did reading find you?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
jordyn21
Favorite Book: Of Mice and Men
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordyn21.html

Did you find reading or did reading find you?

Post by jordyn21 »

How did reading come about in your life? What made you an avid reader?

My mom got me hooked on reading and it is something that we have always bonded over. It has made us really close and one of the few things that we always agree on. We bond by going to the library or book stores together and over our goodreads accounts. It is really special for us to share this passion together.
Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.
~Marilyn Monroe
Indhira_Me
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-indhira-me.html

Post by Indhira_Me »

I was in my teens when I first started to read because it was something that I had to try doing once at least because my mom used to read a lot. I have ever since found pleasure in reading and as days passed I find that how many ever books I have read, I need just so much more the next day.
tamara_mc41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamara-mc41.html

Post by tamara_mc41 »

I have always loved books.
I was raised by my grandma and papa (grandma died of cancer when I was 11 & papa embezzled I believe it was over half a million dollars and just left one day a few months later)
and they use to read to me all the time.
my favorite book was butterfly kisses- bob Carlisle
it was the first thing my dad gave me when he was in jail.
I also loved Winnie the the pooh books and fairy tales.
me and papa sat and drew life size verions of all the charcters from the whinnie the pooh books on my wall
(I have a picture ill find one day of it) im painting piglets nose (he was taller then me)
and papas sitting in my pink pplastic tea party chair holding one of the books.
I miss them so much but every day I thank god I still have little memories of them.
so to answer your question reading found me.
if it wasn't for them I don't know if I would have picked up books and be reading nearly as much as I do.
knighthkm
Favorite Author: Too many
Favorite Book: Also too many
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-knighthkm.html
Latest Review: "The Big Cats" by Enid Joyce

Post by knighthkm »

I guess I got heavily into reading in my teens when I noticed that heavy readers tended to be smarter and more interesting. I wanted to be like that :)
Latest Review: "The Big Cats" by Enid Joyce
Lilapo9
Favorite Author: Diane Duane
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 29675">The Ministry of Cantors</a>
Currently Reading: Handbook for Cantors
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilapo9.html
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
Reading Device: B00EM3WGYY
fav_author_id: 4363

Post by Lilapo9 »

I don't remember reading at home until after I started school. I remember learning how to make books in kindergarten and from there my love of books grew. In first grade I remember being really hungry for books and just couldn't get enough of them. I could read and memorize a book in two readings. Later that skill was transferred to reading music. As I got older reading became an escape from the prison of my bedroom where I was always grounded to. I was grounded to my room for two weeks once because I missed a dirty dish when I was doing the dishes. Then I remember long about the time I was 12 to 13 when I would get grounded to my room my mom would take all the books and anything that had words on it out of my room.
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Both I guess. My parents read to me from early age and they have read themselves. I have started reading by myself when I was 6-7 years old and didn't stop since.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
KS Crooks
Favorite Author: Matthew Reilly
Favorite Book: Voyage of the Dawntreader
fav_author_id: 7607

Post by KS Crooks »

My mother and aunt got me started when I was young. As a teen I left books and started collecting comic books, which I still do. As an adult I came up with the idea that I wanted to decide whether I think "classic" novels are worth their status. I began with Moby Dick, followed by the Iliad and the Odyssey. Now I rotate between YA dystopias, Fantasy, Historical adventures, military action/adventure, and the occasional non-fiction.
Hailey_Gardner
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailey-gardner.html

Post by Hailey_Gardner »

I think reading found me. When I was younger I wasn't much of a reader but my last couple years of high school when I was dealing with stuff all I really needed to do was get lost in a book and it made everything seem better.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I think I found reading when I was in maybe 3rd grade, thanks to my teacher who gave up assignments reading/writing actual books. Also found my love for writing then as well.
Amna Khalid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amna-khalid.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by Amna Khalid »

I found solace in reading. So, I think I was the one who found reading when life threw a bucket of freezing water on me.
Amna Khalid
Susan Gibbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-gibbs.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: From Weekend Golfer to Pro Golfer in Two Years by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Susan Gibbs »

I'm not sure when I developed a love of reading. I think I enjoyed it from the moment I learnt to read. As far as I remember, I have always read books and magazines in my spare time. My parents used to read books to my brothers and I before I learnt to read.
Tori_J
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tori-j.html
Latest Review: Aprende ABC con los animales de Puerto Rico by Yeseira Caro

Post by Tori_J »

I think both happened. I have always been a person who loves learning, so, when I was given a book as a gift at a very young age, the marriage was consumated.
Rosemary Owolabi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-owolabi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Rosemary Owolabi »

I found reading one day after strolling into my secondary school library. But I lost touch with it for years until recently, it found me and I am not letting go again.
If you are having a bad day, let people see that you are having a good day...Spread good vibes, people are going through a lot already. :tiphat:
Sochima I
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sochima-i.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Post by Sochima I »

I guess reading found me.
My dad had a large collection of books in our holiday home. I didn't have any friends there and there was really nothing else to do. I just read the books whenever we went there. We've been going for as long as I remember, I think even before I was born.
Jolaade Idowu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deborah363.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Jolaade Idowu »

Reading found me. I have been reading since I was a little kid.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”