Books as Gifts

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Lady_Phantom
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Books as Gifts

Post by Lady_Phantom »

This Christmas I have asked for books from my parents. I gave them quite a long list of books I really would like to have, that way they can pick and choose which few to get me and I wont have any idea what ones they got. My 17 year old son reads quite a bit also and has often asked for books for his birthday of Christmas.
AngelBellaDonna
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelbelladonna.html

Post by AngelBellaDonna »

Books are great gifts! I've been asking for books as gifts this Christmas! If I got ten of my favorite books I would die of joy! I would love some poetry books.
3chicnP
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-3chicnp.html

Post by 3chicnP »

I don't write wish lists so I just ask for random books.
I am a free spirit
like mafia
freelancer101
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Favorite Book: Lord of the Flies by William Golding
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freelancer101.html
fav_author_id: 2456

Post by freelancer101 »

I have always admired people who send books as gifts. I believe if you know the person you are rewarding a book with, you will be better able to decide what book they'd like. Like e.g., one of friends was really into gardening and she was having a hard time tending to her front lawn. I gave her a critically acclaimed best-seller on gardening. She loved that book!
gmohrer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gmohrer.html

Post by gmohrer »

Whenever there is a holiday coming or my birthday then you would definitely see books on my wish list. It would also be on the top of the list as well
gypsy2413

Post by gypsy2413 »

Books for me personally, are fantastic gifts....................or even gift cards for books are great-can pick out your own..... :)
Janiac02
Favorite Author: Sarah Woodbury
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: After Cilmeri Series
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janiac02.html
Latest Review: "A Cold Wind" by C. J. Brightley
fav_author_id: 3314

Post by Janiac02 »

I regularly buy books as gifts for family-- that's a safe bet for any of them. I personally would prefer an Amazon gift card, as I like to read in e-book form, but I would still be thrilled to open up a new book as well.
Latest Review: "A Cold Wind" by C. J. Brightley
milliethom
Favorite Author: Dorothy Dunnett
Favorite Book: Game of Kings - and numerous others.
Bookshelf Size: 15
fav_author_id: 27343

Post by milliethom »

I love having books as gifts but I only buy them for for people I know well, so I can be sure I choose the right genre or non-fiction topic. I can safely buy for everyone in my family but with others a book token is better.
CHarris22

Post by CHarris22 »

I love receiving books as gifts! a book or giftcard for books is always a great gift for me. When gifting for someone else though, I tend to do giftcards rather than actual books if I don't know their book taste. For those who I know well like my mom, sister in law, mother in law ect. I love buying them good reads. :)
Melanie_Page
Favorite Book: All of them
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melanie-page.html
Latest Review: "The Serpent Beguiled Eve" by Acacia Slaton

Post by Melanie_Page »

When I was younger, my family would let me unwrap the books under the tree and then take them away so I wouldn't read all day and be antisocial. Now I generally prefer to buy my own books. However my favourite series (All Souls Trilogy, Deborah Harkness) was a gift from my sister. So, yes. Books as gifts can change your life.
Latest Review: "The Serpent Beguiled Eve" by Acacia Slaton
ravenclaw
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ravenclaw.html

Post by ravenclaw »

Books are THE best gifts!!!! You can't possibly be disappointed when you open a present and are rewarded with the sight of a book.
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

I would love to get a gift card so I could pick out my own books that I would like to read. I don't think I would ever give a book to anyone as a present because most of the people I know also read a lot so I wouldn't have any idea what books they have. I would want to give them the pleasure of picking out whatever they want, just like I like to do.
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

I received a few books for Christmas this year and I just loved it. If it is someone who knows what my preferences are then I'd say absolutely. However, if it's someone who isn't familiar with my preferences, I'd say give a gift card. I received a few gift cards as we'll and loved and appreciated it all the same.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fifthmayfly
Favorite Author: Rick Yancey
Favorite Book: The Hot Zone and Divergent Series
Currently Reading: The Wolf Princess
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fifthmayfly.html
fav_author_id: 3497

Post by fifthmayfly »

I only gives books as gifts if somebody asks for them (many kids would hate to get books), and I always ask for books, sometimes I get book and sometimes a gift card, and they're both good for me.
yashadapillai

Post by yashadapillai »

I would gladly accept a book as a gift. I would only give a book to someone if I knew them well enough to know they would actually sit down, read the book, and genuinely enjoy it.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”