Book or Movie

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Favour Alade Boluwatife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riam333.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Re: Book or Movie

Post by Favour Alade Boluwatife »

I prefer reading books to movies. I don't know why I dedicate a lot of time to reading books.
Bavithra karthikeyan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-karthikeyan.html
Latest Review: This Affects Me How? by M.K. Corbin

Post by Bavithra karthikeyan »

Definitely a book. A movie shows you another person's creativity and imagination. But a book makes you imagine a world from reading it. A temporary world from your mind. That's more intriguing.
Between the pages of a book is the loveliest place to be :techie-studyingbrown: :D
Book owly
Favorite Book: The Raven Boys
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arakhsh-qanit.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Book owly »

I like to read the book first and then the movie. Mostly when I like a book alot, I search if it has a movie related to it and then I watch it. And I like to see the difference between movies and the books.
Prosper Chukwuemeka 1
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Prosper Chukwuemeka 1 »

I will choose a book, book contains all the information you need about a movie although a movie can be entertaining.
AlexGrav
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexgrav.html
Latest Review: The Three Heavens by Paul Hitchiner

Post by AlexGrav »

I prefer reading the book first because it is where the original plot comes from. I have made peace with the thought that the movie version has a higher tendency to stray away from the original storyline.
AlexGrav
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexgrav.html
Latest Review: The Three Heavens by Paul Hitchiner

Post by AlexGrav »

I would read the book first before watching the movie. Once I watch a movie it's hard to get around reading the book.
Myrah Kay
Currently Reading: Terms of Service
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-myrah-kay.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Myrah Kay »

Both. Movies are books present in the film form, and so, yes, I would go for both.
BravoJedi
Favorite Author: Jason Albano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
fav_author_id: 259269

Post by BravoJedi »

I typically do movie first, then book. However, with that said, I have not ran into many situations where I have felt the need to go back and read the book after watching the movie. Even when my wife had me watch the whole Harry Potter series on Blu-ray 6 years ago, I never had the urge to go back and read the books that people swear by. That would include the Lord of the Rings too; I watched the movies, I felt they were excellent, and did not see the point in going back to the books.

So, I guess, maybe the movie first spoils my desire to read the book. On the flipside of that, if I ever did read the book first, I would be interested in watching the movie. I remember when I read the first two books of the Wheel of Time series some 20 years ago (I never finished the collection sadly). I was interested in the TV series that came out in 2021.
Book author of A Story of the Beginning and the No Tears series.
Author Page: https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelves/author.php?a=259269

"I guess every once in a while both suns shine on a womp rats tail." - The Mandalorian
Wanjla Carl
Favorite Author: by Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanjla-carl.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz
fav_author_id: 221705

Post by Wanjla Carl »

I prefer reading a book. This is because in a book there is a lot of detail that is always missed when producing the movie.
Phillip Ngoua Obame
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phillip-ngoua-obame.html
Latest Review: The Curious Cousins and the African Elephant Expedition by Dr. Debra Ford Msc.D

Post by Phillip Ngoua Obame »

Personally, I prefer to read the book first before watching the movie. I find that the book allows me to immerse myself in the story and really connect with the characters and their experiences. It also allows me to use my own imagination to visualize the scenes and settings described in the book.

After finishing the book, watching the movie adaptation can be a great way to see the story come to life on the big screen and compare it to my own interpretation. I find that watching the movie after reading the book often enhances my viewing experience, as I can pick up on small details and nuances that I may have missed otherwise.

Overall, while there may be benefits to watching the movie first, I believe that reading the book first offers a more fulfilling and enriching experience.😉
Εν οίδα ότι ουδέν οίδα
Wanjla Carl
Favorite Author: by Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanjla-carl.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz
fav_author_id: 221705

Post by Wanjla Carl »

It depends with the amount of time I have. If I have a short time, I would always choose a movie. If I have more time. I would choose a book.
Mailab
Currently Reading: Worldmaker of Yand - Eltanin
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Mailab »

I choose Book because book are always at my closet rather than a movie. I don't have always internet connection for that. :lol2:
Mailab(⁠✿⁠ ⁠♡⁠‿⁠♡⁠)
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Paul Link »

I always like to read the book first and then watch the movie. Books are so much better.
McAlpine
Currently Reading: The IHOP Papers
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by McAlpine »

I prefer to read the book before I see the movie. The book is always deeper than the movie, and I like to see the author's intentions before I see the director's intentions. However, it is not a hard and fast rule. I have seen the movie, and bought the book later. In this case, the movie was so good that I wanted to live through the experience of the plot a second time. The depth of the book keeps my interest on the second trip. The breadth of the book affirms or denies my opinion of the movie.
Daniel Lopez 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-lopez-10.html
Latest Review: Let it Be by Thomas Grady

Post by Daniel Lopez 10 »

The movie, If there is a film about a book is because the book is good so I will take the film as recomendation and usually the book is even better than the film, a clear example is "Les miserables" by Victor Hugo. I first watched the film and then I discovered there was a book , bum!!! it makes my cry....twice!!!!! One of my favorites!!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”