Do you go to the library or bookstore more often?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
bibliophile99
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophile99.html

Re: Do you go to the library or bookstore more often?

Post by bibliophile99 »

I mostly go to the library, becouse they have 50 cent sales for books, and i cant afford full price books the way i hoard them,
zumanajim
Currently Reading: Allies of the Night
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zumanajim.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by zumanajim »

I use my library more often these days, not only because it's a lot cheaper than buying books, but I find that I'm more willing to experiment and try new authors/series/genres if there's no money "on the line". So not only have I don't more reading than I normally would, I'm getting to read all sorts of things I normally wouldn't
:geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek:
I think it is also the fact that if you buy something, you have it on your shelf and you can get back to it. Whereas a library book you have a period of time that you have to finish it, making you more motivated to finish what you have started.
I love going to the library. It's like shopping without having to spend any money.
this. sometimes i get worried they'll judge me, like, "you already checked out five books. why don't we wait until you're done with those..." but they are such enablers!!:geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek:
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

There's no library in my neighborhood or around me, so I use the bookstore more for that particular reason.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Spontaneo
Favorite Book: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spontaneo.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Spontaneo »

I usually go to the library more often. If I find a book good enough, then I look for it in stores or on-line, for example, Eat To Trim by Joyce Vedral.

I also use the library for magazines instead of buying them monthly at the grocery store.

:)
You Only Grow Old If You Want To
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

If it is an e-book, I get it from Amazon. If it is a hardcover book, I go to the bookstore. I sometimes buy second-hand books too at the university.
KN17488
Currently Reading: A Dog's Purpose
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by KN17488 »

The library because I just tend to read a book once or I'm not sure if I like a book.The library is like a home to me.
Angela Stripes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 04073">The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf</a>
Currently Reading: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angela-stripes.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Angela Stripes »

I used to go to the library alllll the time as a kid, because it was close enough to ride my bike to. Now, if/when I have time to read I pull one off the shelf I haven't opened, yet. Or borrow from a friend. Its really fun going to second-hand stores for books, because I never know what I'll find. I've plugged holes in my collection and opened new ones, haha! But its super cheap and its fun to hunt for a good find. Other times I think "yeah. that's why this book is here," after reading the back.
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
ebethina
Currently Reading: Homeport
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebethina.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly

Post by ebethina »

I don't go to either one unless you count the book station. I go to the book station about twice a year and stock up on books because they are incredibly cheap. Then I buy books on my kindle or get them for free from Amazon Prime. So I never have to go to the library or store.
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

I usually purchase my books online from Amazon or B&N. I can not be trusted in the bookstore. Too many discount/bargain books that I have to take home with me.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jenjayfromSA »

There are some interesting people on this thread! Where are you all from? Climate? Isolated? Chinese immigrants? Hey, there are some stories here. I browse the bookstores but can't afford them (exchange rate stinks), I can't pass a second-hand book table (my family have to grab me and yank) and our libraries tend to be pathetic (no money for new books for years). Amazon is the best in the world, but I still have to do sums each time (the exchange rate goes up and down like a yo-yo).
Buchacha21
Currently Reading: China Virus
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buchacha21.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Buchacha21 »

I used to go to the library all the time when I was in university, but living outside of the city, it’s become rather challenging. To get a library card, it costs me $150 a year, so I’d actually be better off investing in Kindle Unlimited. In addition, I still have to drive almost an hour to get to the closest library. At this point, I’m content reading books that I’ve bought at book fairs (of which I have hundreds) or that I’ve downloaded from Amazon.com (of which I have thousands). Once I have children I’ll make the effort to get a card.
K_Robinson
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-robinson.html
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger

Post by K_Robinson »

I really don't go to either, but when my daughter gets a little older I think I will start bringing her to the library. She has a mini library of her own already and shes only 15 months old! We still manage to read the same handful of books over and over and over though! I've got those suckers memorized ;)
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jenjayfromSA »

Standard procedure. My kid had her favourites too and had to have them every night! Libraries often have reading circles or places you can read to your kid. You can't start too young.
Valton
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valton.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Valton »

I rarely go the library since its sooo far from where i stay and well i go to the book stores once in a while.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Pknjo
Bookshelf Size: 33

Post by Pknjo »

I almost always go for the softcopy books, I might find myself straying to the bookstore once in a while

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”