How do you choose your yearly reading goal?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Melissa Best
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: Love and Marriage
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-best.html
Latest Review: Chameleons by Martin Wyatt

Icon How do you choose your yearly reading goal?

Post by Melissa Best »

I've rediscovered my love for reading recently. But unfortunately with the more chaotic parts of life, I'm never able to consistently read. Some months I can knock out 5+ books, others I can't seem to find the time to finish one. Does anyone else read like this? How do you all go about setting your reading goals? Do you go monthly or just yearly? Would love to hear :tiphat:
Betelhem Demsie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-betelhem-demsie.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Betelhem Demsie »

Until now I never had reading goals. I read reviews and suggestions, then I read. But I am now thinking to create a list of good books I want to read in a year.
Henry Patrovic
Favorite Book: A Touch of Power
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henry-patrovic.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Henry Patrovic »

I don’t really have a yearly reading goal. There is a list of books I want to read but I don’t have a timeframe in which I want to do it.
Kaylyn_Marie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Eater of Gods
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylyn-marie.html
Latest Review: H.O.E Hustle Over Everything by Samantha Camel
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Kaylyn_Marie »

I will typically look at how many books I read last year and add about 10-15 more books to the next year to challenge myself. Last year I read 113 books so I set my goal for 2023 as 125 books.
~The Tatted Reader :reading-3:
Kaylyn_Marie
Currently Reading: The Eater of Gods
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylyn-marie.html
Latest Review: H.O.E Hustle Over Everything by Samantha Camel
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Kaylyn_Marie »

I think this is great, it releases you from the pressure of reading and lets you focus on reading for pleasure instead.
Henry Patrovic wrote: 21 Oct 2022, 09:31 I don’t really have a yearly reading goal. There is a list of books I want to read but I don’t have a timeframe in which I want to do it.
~The Tatted Reader :reading-3:
edenwheeler
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by edenwheeler »

Many people experience fluctuating reading habits due to life's unpredictable nature. To set reading goals, you can try both monthly and yearly targets. Monthly goals keep you consistent, while yearly goals give you a bigger picture and accommodate for busier times. Finding a comfortable pace and choosing engaging books can also help maintain motivation. Remember, the ultimate goal is to enjoy reading, so don't pressure yourself too much.
Seetha E
Currently Reading: The prodigy slave
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seetha-e.html
Latest Review: Finally, I am CEO by Dr Michael Earle

Post by Seetha E »

As much as I like to read, I have never really set a goal for the number of books to be read annually. After joining OBC, I came across the practice of reading goals. I have set a target of abt 36 books. Hope to be able to reach my target with a nice mix of genres.
Alissa Nesson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-nesson.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Alissa Nesson »

I don’t create reading goals because I just want to enjoy the books I’m reading without feeling pressured to read shorter/more numerous books. Books come in all different sizes and they all only count as one book. Personally, I just want to enjoy something that I love.
“Our lives become the stories that we weave.”
- Once On This Island

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”