How much reading is too much reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Re: How much reading is too much reading?

Post by Ria710 »

I think too much reading is when you're reading and not getting enough sleep. Eventually, this can affect your health.
Daniel Muky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-muky.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Daniel Muky »

No amount of reading is enough according to me...one should read and read and read and read as long as they can
Henrytbab
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henrytbab.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Henrytbab »

CorrinneMcMahon wrote: โ†‘09 Feb 2015, 18:19 As a child I was always told to get my "head out of books and into the real world" by unfavorable family members. I know of a teenage boy who barely reads unless it is for school and spends his weekends from the time he wakes up to the time he sleeps, mostly playing Minecraft on his laptop.

Has the world gone mad? In my opinion that is MUCH more damaging. Talk about brain rot!

I also know of a woman who spends all of her time reading even though she has housework to be done and children to look after.

Reading promotes creativity and out of the box thinking. It broadens our understanding of the world, expands our vocabulary, improves our writing ability and can help develop analytical thinking.

Looking back on what I was told as a child compared to a lack of enthusiasm from a lot (not all) kids today, is there such a thing as too much reading? Or should we be encouraging our children to unplug and and pick up a book more often? How much is too much, in your opinion where is the happy medium?
It's almost never too much but if it gravely affects one's essential activities, then it is too much.
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
-George Bernard Shaw
Lia A
Favorite Book: Aurora Rising
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lia-a.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Lia A »

There may or may not be an amount of time that is too much reading. However, if you don't take care of yourself or your responsibilities because of excessive reading that might be too much.
โ€œ๐“ž๐“ท๐“ฎ ๐“ถ๐“พ๐“ผ๐“ฝ ๐“ช๐“ต๐”€๐“ช๐”‚๐“ผ ๐“ซ๐“ฎ ๐“ฌ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฎ๐“ฏ๐“พ๐“ต ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐“ซ๐“ธ๐“ธ๐“ด๐“ผ, ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ญ ๐”€๐“ฑ๐“ช๐“ฝ ๐“ฒ๐“ผ ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ผ๐“ฒ๐“ญ๐“ฎ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ๐“ถ, ๐“ฏ๐“ธ๐“ป ๐”€๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ญ๐“ผ ๐“ฑ๐“ช๐“ฟ๐“ฎ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“น๐“ธ๐”€๐“ฎ๐“ป ๐“ฝ๐“ธ ๐“ฌ๐“ฑ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ฎ ๐“พ๐“ผ.โ€
โ€• ๐“’๐“ช๐“ผ๐“ผ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ญ๐“ป๐“ช ๐“’๐“ต๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฎ, (๐“’๐“ต๐“ธ๐“ฌ๐“ด๐”€๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ด ๐“๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ฎ๐“ต)
EmmaZ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmaz.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by EmmaZ »

You can never read too much. That's the great thing about books.
Zeejane
Currently Reading: Dawn's Early Light
Bookshelf Size: 843

Post by Zeejane »

Gustavsson wrote: โ†‘10 Feb 2015, 18:35 It's too much reading if it starts to distract you from real life-relationships, responsibilities etc. But if it's just taking the place of other distractions, then it's not too much. If it's just amusement instead of obsession, it's not too much.
This.

Reading is my biggest hobby, but I know it can cause friction if I'm plugged into a book when my husband is home, because I get very involved with what I'm reading and have a hard time putting books down. In the past I've missed out on family activities etc. because of this, so now I have a designated time every afternoon, during the week, where I can read without distractions/doesn't interfere with family life. With me being such an avid reader having parameters keeps things balanced :)
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

It is too difficult to define the reading parameters. It is completely dependent of the person to person. But one thing I can clearly state is that the time you feel you are getting diverted or getting exhausted while you are reading, that would be the indication that you have taken enough for the day adn you can not take it anymore.
Matlhodi Nozwayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matlhodi-nozwayo.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Matlhodi Nozwayo »

When it blocks you from having healthy connections with people and real situations. Like everything else, there has to be a healthy balance. You still need to socialize, eat, do school work, catch up on emails and sleep as well. If it disrupts life that to the point where others point the issue out then it is just becoming a bit unhealthy and you need a break.
Emidio Inocencio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio-inocencio.html
Latest Review: Diamond J&G Manor Parlay Gambling House by Sylvie L Gionet
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 2%

Post by Emidio Inocencio »

The questions is ambiguous. I believe that the amount of reading is personal.
ZhanLu
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zhanlu.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by ZhanLu »

There is never too much reading! But, reading comes with responsibilities too. I usually start reading when everybody is asleep and read till morning and then sleep. Wake up when everybody wakes up. Don't get me wrong, I get enough sleep. Just that I sleep when it's dawn. But, this is the only time I could utilise my time to catch up on my novels! We all have responsibilities, social life, etc. We cannot neglect them.
ZhanLu
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zhanlu.html

Post by ZhanLu »

Video games are not bad. It's a form of relieving stress. Reading is the same! There is a limit for everything. The moment you neglect your responsibilities, you don't want to socialize, eat, drink, talk to your family, or even you are ignorant what's going around you because you are too invested in reading. That's when you know it's too much. Same goes for playing video games, binge watching series, reading books, whatnot.
Betelhem Demsie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-betelhem-demsie.html

Post by Betelhem Demsie »

There's nothing as too much so there are limitless amount of books out there. But I think the thing is about balance. Children,bor every other reader, should know how to live in the real world rather than limiting their lives in the pages. The should socially practice what they learned from the books they read.
Henry Patrovic
Favorite Book: A Touch of Power
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henry-patrovic.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Henry Patrovic »

If reading interferes with your responsibilities, then you read too much.
Leonie Vermaak
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 608
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leonie-vermaak.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Leonie Vermaak »

To me, there is no such thing as too much reading. The more I can read the happier I am personally.
Then don't get me started on kids not reading enough these days!!! I've seen many intelligent kids that is stuck in front of a TV playing games and after a couple of months they can't even read one sentence without a battle doing school work. How sad is that? I feel that they are being deprived of so much knowledge by allowing them to just play games. My one nephew told us the one day how he enjoys reading, and I was quite amazed as I never thought that he would be the one enjoying this. I then decided for his birthday I'll buy him a series that consisted out of 3 books. Unfortunately my excitement didn't last long, as he never touched the books, due to his Xbox and the constant new games his parents got him.
Jay Peter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-peter.html
Latest Review: Champagne Widows by Rebecca Rosenberg

Post by Jay Peter »

There is no too much reading. There's just enough reading for a specific time.

Return to โ€œGeneral Book & Reading Discussionโ€