How many times did you go to the library in your school?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
dancing with hugo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancing-with-hugo.html

Re: How many times did you go to the library in your school?

Post by dancing with hugo »

The library was a sanctuary for me. From the time I could take books out of the library in grammar school to my last day of formal education, I spent as much time in school libraries as I dared. Each summer, I carted home the maximum number of books allowed and then some. Librarians at each school became rather fond of me and permitted a few extra books to find their way into my hands.
I grew up in terrible poverty and was considered a weird kid, so I was a lonely child. Books were my best friends. They never judged me. They didn't care about my worn-out old clothes. And they were free!
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

I actually did not use the library until I was an adult. In middle school teachers tried to take us to the library just to use the computers and learn how to use search engines. in high school I was way to cool to hang out in the library and bought most of my books. I used electronic resources in college which were accessable through dorm computers.

When I graduated from college I moved to a suburb that was known for its amazing library. It was about a mile away from my apartment and I was broke. I was able to get a workout and have access to so many books for free. OMG what a rush! Now I live in a different area that has a pretty great library and I am hooked.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Rabidwerewolfie
Favorite Author: Kirstin Bakis
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Rabidwerewolfie »

I was homeschooled until 5th grade, and 5th and 6th grade were spent in a private school that only gave limited access to the library, so I wasn't in there often. After 6th I was homeschooled again until high school.
In high school I practically lived in the library. In the mornings before classes, during breaks, I'd even skip eating lunch to go sit in the library and read. I spent so much time in there that the librarians actually began allowing me to work there and I was occasionally allowed to skip classes if there was nothing important going on that day. (Movie days, for example, allowed me to spend that time in the library instead)

I think my time in the school library was my best time during my 4 years of HS.
He would have followed her to hell itself if she'd ever taken mind to go there. - Angel of the Abyss (Wolfcaller Chronicles)
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

Rabidwerewolfie wrote:I was homeschooled until 5th grade, and 5th and 6th grade were spent in a private school that only gave limited access to the library, so I wasn't in there often. After 6th I was homeschooled again until high school.
In high school I practically lived in the library. In the mornings before classes, during breaks, I'd even skip eating lunch to go sit in the library and read. I spent so much time in there that the librarians actually began allowing me to work there and I was occasionally allowed to skip classes if there was nothing important going on that day. (Movie days, for example, allowed me to spend that time in the library instead)

I think my time in the school library was my best time during my 4 years of HS.
I think if Scott required, as a test, an essay to determine one's qualifications for becoming a member of this site you would certainly get an A for your comment. It is reassuring somehow to know that I am surrounded by people here who are as dedicated to books as I am. When I was in high school, by contrast, I spent (or perhaps I should say wasted) an inordinate amount of time participating in sports. How I wish I could go back and follow your example!
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

Ah, those days. I went through a lot of phases in high school; my identity was constantly in a state of flux. I went from class weirdo, to bookworm, to slightly popular, and to too-popular-for-my-own-good, and right back. To be honest, I only read like eight books from the high school library. Sometimes the library was used as detention class, sometimes I had to do research for a a school project, but I rarely went there to read.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
Aubrey_Michelle
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-michelle.html

Post by Aubrey_Michelle »

In middle school the library was my second home. However, in high school as an underclassman I never dared to venture that far. As I've gotten older I now spend about 2 class periods in the library a day.
Aaliyahlove
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaliyahlove.html

Post by Aaliyahlove »

I lived in the library all the way up to high school. I would check out three books at a time. I have to get back into reading like I use to before motherhood. Now all I wish to do is eat and sleep. I have a lot of books on kindle. I love my kindle, I have the unlimited plan.
BooksRunique
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booksrunique.html

Post by BooksRunique »

A few times a Month but mostly I go cuz I'm on a review board club
avid reader28
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avid-reader28.html

Post by avid reader28 »

In my school, I always get 2 books at the end of every week to read in my weekend :)
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

I never went to my school library.

But i did go down to the public library 2-3 times a week. When i was in school and borrowed books.

But i have not actually been in a library in years. As i no longer borrow books but buy them.
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
Thesaurus Rex
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thesaurus-rex.html

Post by Thesaurus Rex »

Every day.
Ealasaid
Favorite Author: Unfair To Ask That
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 284">Emily of New Moon</a>
Currently Reading: The Princes of Ireland: The Dublin Saga
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ealasaid.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Ealasaid »

I went to a very small religious school; therefore, our school library was very small and predominantly filled with religious books and was highly censored, and I got very little joy out of visiting it. We also were not allowed to bring in any outside books into our school library to read, and if we tried to sneak one in and were caught the book was confiscated (not that I didn't try). However, our local library was wonderful, and I spent a lot of time there after school and on the weekends checking out as many books as I could. Now as an adult, I do the same.

Even now when I watch TV shows with my kids and they show the school library with kids in it, I am jealous for the missed opportunity I had. I sooooooo wanted to the kid who hung out in the school library all the time.
"I dwell in Possibility" - Emily Dickinson
EllieThomos

Post by EllieThomos »

I was literally always in the library
beebee216
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beebee216.html
Latest Review: "Braineater Jones" by Stephen Kozeniewski
fav_author_id: 2475

Post by beebee216 »

Oh man, the memories I made in the school library. Every morning I would head to the library before class, then I'd get a lunch pass to be able to come back. I would spend my entire lunch curled on the couch, reading. I became so close to the librarians, those women made going to school enjoyable. They would let me get first dibs when new books came in. I also got to help set up for the scholastic book fair, which for me was heaven. Everyone teases me now about how often I would go, but for me I was having the time of my life. All I've ever needed to be happy is a good book. But if Tom Hiddleston wanted to marry me, well I wouldn't turn that down... ;)
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying" -Oscar Wilde
Latest Review: "Braineater Jones" by Stephen Kozeniewski
Wizzy56
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wizzy56.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Wizzy56 »

The library in our school and even in the college where I worked was a very special place for me. While at work (Worked security at a community college) I would go there on my breaks and since I worked evenings no one was around. I would wander around the stacks of books and just feel embraced by the wisdom and interests of all those people who wrote those books. It was my favorite place to be.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”