How many times did you go to the library in your school?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
ilovebooksamillion
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: The Dark Witch
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilovebooksamillion.html
fav_author_id: 3258

How many times did you go to the library in your school?

Post by ilovebooksamillion »

Every morning when I went to school I would always go to the library instead of going to the cafeteria with my friends. Every study hall I had I went to the library, I was recently looking at my hall passes for school and I noticed that I went to the library more than any other place. My friends would always ask me why don't I come to the cafeteria with them and I tell them become I'm at the library. I loved going there it made me fell really comfortable and when I missed homework I would go to the library to finish it and I loved reading so I loved just looking at all the books. :D
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

Since you mention "hall passes" I am assuming you mean high school. In my case I did not use the library that much during high school for two reasons: one; because I was involved in many different activities which left little time for the library; and two, because I was an idiot who, like most highschoolers, did not realize the tremendous advantages of learning as much as possible (regardless of subject) while I had the resources of teachers, and books, and the lack of adult responsibility to do so.

You were wise to have spent so much time in the library. Looking back, I would gladly trade all of the time I spent involved in sports and other nonsensical activities for the advantages I would have gleaned from spending the same amount of time in a library.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
katyg98
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katyg98.html

Post by katyg98 »

For my first two years of high school I was literally always in the library! I was a library helper and also on the book quiz team! Then I got into year 9 and decided I wanted to see my friends a little bit more!!
Janiac02
Favorite Author: Sarah Woodbury
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: After Cilmeri Series
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janiac02.html
Latest Review: "A Cold Wind" by C. J. Brightley
fav_author_id: 3314

Post by Janiac02 »

I hid in the library in college quite a bit. 3rd floor was a quiet zone, I loved it.
Latest Review: "A Cold Wind" by C. J. Brightley
Lilapo9
Favorite Author: Diane Duane
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 29675">The Ministry of Cantors</a>
Currently Reading: Handbook for Cantors
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilapo9.html
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
Reading Device: B00EM3WGYY
fav_author_id: 4363

Post by Lilapo9 »

When I was in the middle school I remember spending so much time in the library that the librarian offered me the chance to work there part-time. By the time I was in 7th and 8th grades I had a work study in the library in the school. That transferred over to when I was in high school where I also had a work study position. As an adult when I got out of the service I would volunteer at the local public library and eventually was given a part time job there. After I went back to college I again had a work study in the library. I am sorry to say that other than a few times a month I do not get to go to the library now. I enjoyed working in the stacks and helping people with their research.
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
Alexavier-Taiga
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Favorite Book: Struck By Lightning by Chris Colfer
Currently Reading: reading five books and they wont fit
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexavier-taiga.html
fav_author_id: 2456

Post by Alexavier-Taiga »

I went in yesterday, but only because I needed to print something, haha! Almost all of the books in my school library are in disgusting condition, a lot of very questionable stains on the pages..
So many books to read, so little time..
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

When I was in elementary and middle school, classes had assigned times on specific days for general library use. I used to love these times and usually checked out the maximum number of books that was allowed. In high school, I mostly used the library for research, although I would occasionally browse through the novels and magazines. By high school, I was buying my own books or receiving them as gifts, so I didn't go to the library for "fun" reading very often.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

DATo wrote:...In my case I did not use the library that much during high school for two reasons: one; because I was involved in many different activities which left little time for the library; and two, because I was an idiot who, like most highschoolers, did not realize the tremendous advantages of learning as much as possible (regardless of subject) while I had the resources of teachers, and books, and the lack of adult responsibility to do so.
That was definitely me too! Once high school hit and I learned I could take the bus other places (I grew up in Chicago, so public transportation was a dream to a teenager!) I went to the mall as much as I could. I didn't really have money, I just liked being out of the house, listening to my headphones and writing. A library would have been awesome for this as well, and the free books to read would have rocked!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
ellemichele
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellemichele.html

Post by ellemichele »

Oh my goodness. I was always in the library. I would check out a book, read it that night, and go back the next day. My mom worked at my elementary school, so all of the librarians knew (and liked) me. I couldn't get enough.
Duende Knocking
Favorite Author: Albert Camus
Currently Reading: Too lazy to update this every day
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duende-knocking.html
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
fav_author_id: 2688

Post by Duende Knocking »

You had permission to go to the library at my high school - no special library hour or study block (not even once a week), and you weren't allowed to just go for no reason at lunch. So needless to say, I didn't go very much, even though I loved reading.
"Everything is a dangerous drug except reality, which is unendurable."
- Cyril Connolly
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
IlonaLove04
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilonalove04.html

Post by IlonaLove04 »

At least twice a week when I take my students. I'm trying to instill a love for reading in them.
I have a lot of students that love to read and some that rather take a bullet. I'm working hard
to change that. Books equal knowledge and knowledge is power!
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I grew up in a really tiny, low budget school that didn't have much of a library. Maybe 3 shelves partially filled with books. Kind of sad. But I went there every week, if I recall. But mostly I just used the encyclopedias.

Then in high school, I NEVER used the library except when we had a special class in there. But in university, I was up in that place at least twice a week.
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

I have always been a big reader, but I never went to the library when I was in high school. The librarian was not friendly, and she never seemed to want students in there. Also, the school library did not have any books meant for "pleasure reading"; they were all meant to be about school subjects or research.

I started utilizing the library more when I was in college. I went to the library at least 4 times a week. My college had a great library with everything I could have ever needed.

I teach high school now, and the one thing I really love is that students love going to the library. They have a lot of books meant for "pleasure reading". I really wish the library in my high school would have had a better library.
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
Snickerdoodle9
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snickerdoodle9.html
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by Snickerdoodle9 »

In middle school I did not go to the library that much. We did not have many opportunities. We went to a library in English class once a week. Other than before and after school for a couple minutes we didn't have time to go to the school library. High school library....was difficult. It will always just depend on the school and the library oppurtunites.
peecancooper
Currently Reading:

Post by peecancooper »

I am sad to say I rarely went to my high school library. It was very small, but I live in a tiny town with tiny schools. The middle school library happened to be almost twice the size of my high school one.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”