Do you write your name inside your book cover?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Vt_Momma2010
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vt-momma2010.html

Re: Do you write your name inside your book cover?

Post by Vt_Momma2010 »

Nope! My MIL puts her initial in her book covers after she reads them though
VinuW
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinuw.html
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
fav_author_id: 782

Post by VinuW »

When I was a kid, my mother used to write my name inside the book cover. She still does this when I forget to.
“He who jumps may fall, but he may also fly. It’s time to jump.” Lauren Oliver, Requiem
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

This topic just brought back a whole bunch of memories from my childhood. I used to write my name on the inside of book covers all the time. I remember our teacher encouraged us to do this so we could keep track of the books we read. Me and my friends actually had competitions about who read which book and who read the most. I don't do this anymore though.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Sun_Loving_Bookworm
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sun-loving-bookworm.html

Post by Sun_Loving_Bookworm »

Absolutely not! At least not since high school. I am very meticulous about books. I like them to stay in brand new condition. No marks, dog ears, or spine-bending ever allowed in my books :)
bookloversclubhouse

Post by bookloversclubhouse »

I usually don't until after I've read the book. If it was a totally awesome book that I'm going to keep forever, then I put my name in there, in pen, because I'll be loaning it to someone and want to be sure it gets back to me. Otherwise, if it wasn't great, if my name isn't written in it I can sell it. Plus my books are often borrowed from the library due to a shortage of funds, and they frown on autographs unless you happen to be the author of said book. :)
wckedly_
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wckedly.html

Post by wckedly_ »

I always write my name on the first page of the book + the date I bought/received the book.
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

I did when I was little because my mom insisted that our names were on literally everything that went to school with us. Otherwise I only ever did it with college books because it's nice to know that in a room filled with the same book you're going home with your own copy. Now I just don't feel the need.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
Zoe303
Favorite Book: And Then There Were None
Currently Reading: Around the World in Eighty Days
Bookshelf Size: 240

Post by Zoe303 »

I won't dare to! When I read books, I keep them looking as if they've just been bought! I didn't even know I did that until a friend pointed it out to me. I lent her a book but she said she couldn't read it once she realized that I keep my books looking brand new even after they've been read! :lol:
“Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.” –P.J. O’Rourke
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

No way.
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
lvaughn331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lvaughn331.html

Post by lvaughn331 »

Yes I do, usually just my first name and the date I finished reading it :)
Reviewed_By_Julie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewed-by-julie.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reviewed_By_Julie »

Why do I always write my name and phone number on the inside of my book cover? Well, I am not too sure if it comes from years of watching my grandmother put my name on everything that I own. Yes, that's right! She put my name inside my book covers, on my pencil box, my book bag, and even on my underwear.

You see my grandmother survived the Great Depression where you had very little belongings. You had to take care of what you had and make do with what you got. It was a very simple lifestyle she lead, but she gave each child and grandchild a good sense of value and frugality.

So why now? Why still write my name on the inside cover of my books? It's tradition. It makes me think of grandma. She made me think of the value of owning my own book and taking care of my book. If I should ever leave the book in a strange place, the book has my name on it. I can claim ownership to the book, and the person who finds the book may decide to return it to its original owner.
amberlk
Currently Reading: Teaching from Rest
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberlk.html
Latest Review: Hearts Set Free by Jess Lederman

Post by amberlk »

I don't ever right my name in my books as usually once I finish them they go in the garage sale and then I find more at garage sales. Makes it cheaper to read without going to the library. I get so overwhelmed there. It usually takes me forever to find a book and if I go in there with an idea of what book I do want to read they usually don't have it.

My mother-in-law writes little notes on the books she gives to my boys. Usually it is just To: ___ From: __ but sometimes if she knows they are really into something the book is about she will write a longer letter in it about always learning.
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

I think I will always and forever have an aversion to writing in books, I just can't bring myself to do it. But my sister did buy me a little library set for Christmas, so I can mark down who my books went out to and keep tabs on them that way. :)
MatthewAlexander
Currently Reading: It's Kind of a Funny Story
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matthewalexander.html
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret

Post by MatthewAlexander »

I don't write on the cover, but I put a Post-It note on the inside with my name on this. I'm not sure why I used to...maybe because I come from a big family and didn't want anyone touching my things? Now I do it because my roommate and I have a lot of the same books, but neither of us are willing to get rid of ours. (And seeing as mine are nicer, I don't want any confusion!)
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret
1_2_5_am
Currently Reading: Once Upon a Time in Korea
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1-2-5-am.html

Post by 1_2_5_am »

I've NEVER done this because I would personally feel I'm ruining the book...
But I always feel warm and fuzzy inside when I receive a used book with someones name in it.
It's kind of sweet, you know? It feels like the previous owner's experience/memory is being shared with you along with the story.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”