Reading over sleeping

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
CameronC
Bookshelf Size: 0

Reading over sleeping

Post by CameronC »

Have you ever been so immersed in a book that you would read it all night instead of sleeping?
Booklover243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover243.html

Post by Booklover243 »

I know I have. I've done it since I was a kid. I love staying up all night immersed in a book
Shelby_Fox
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelby-fox.html

Post by Shelby_Fox »

Yes. I've found I do that quite often. Sometimes its just one book where you tell yourself "after this chapter I'll sleep" 12 chapters later, you notice that you were suppose to be asleep already.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

I don't think I ever have, but I can see doing it... I've definitely stayed up lat to finish a book! I don't really read very long books, though, (300-400 pages) so in most circumstances it doesn't take too long to finish. I'm worried about when I dive into bigger ones though!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
mathias
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mathias.html

Post by mathias »

I both had to and did. In general it's just because I'm slow.
CataclysmicKnight
Currently Reading:

mathias wrote:I both had to and did. In general it's just because I'm slow.
Now that I'm reading heavier stuff (like this month'a novel The Miniaturist) I'm slow as heck myself lol
Duende Knocking
Favorite Author: Albert Camus
Currently Reading: Too lazy to update this every day
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duende-knocking.html
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
fav_author_id: 2688

Post by Duende Knocking »

Definitely. I've done that at least once a week for the last 2 months. Can sometimes cause some trouble.

I'll be doing it tonight, but this time it's for school and I have no choice in the matter (I should be starting it now actually...)
"Everything is a dangerous drug except reality, which is unendurable."
- Cyril Connolly
Dawn Chandler
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =8954">The Dark Lady</a>
Currently Reading: Potent Pleasures
Bookshelf Size: 578
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Dawn Chandler »

I do it all the time. I also now listen to some books on Audible and I will set the sleep timer so that it will go off and I am supposed to be trying to go to sleep while that is happening, but it never fails. As soon as the story stops I turn it back on and rehit the sleep timer...kinda like a snooze button but in reverse.
rootsys6

Post by rootsys6 »

Every one of us has read something we liked about a particular word in an online dictionary or in some article somewhere. Maybe we have some words that are sentimental to us because our grandma or parents used them a lot when we were little. New words are always being added to the international catalog, and with them new ideas. Maybe there's one going around that we caught and enjoy using when we can in conversation. What's your favorite word today and why?

Currently Reading:

Dawn Chandler wrote:I do it all the time. I also now listen to some books on Audible and I will set the sleep timer so that it will go off and I am supposed to be trying to go to sleep while that is happening, but it never fails. As soon as the story stops I turn it back on and rehit the sleep timer...kinda like a snooze button but in reverse.
LOL reverse snooze! I haven't used audible since I had a free trial and used it for a music CD... Would love to try some audiobooks!
spablo_94
Currently Reading: Redeployment
Bookshelf Size: 317
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spablo-94.html

Post by spablo_94 »

Yes, I've done that because I couldn't wait to finish the book. And sometimes I have to for school because I usually procrastinate when it comes to reading books required in school. For instance, my prof gave us a month to read a book called The Birth of Modern Politics: Andrew Jackson, John Quincy Adams and the Election of 1828. I didn't do it until the last minute.
Last edited by spablo_94 on 20 Feb 2015, 11:09, edited 1 time in total.
puffbear
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-puffbear.html

Post by puffbear »

I only allow myself to do it on the weekends. It is difficult though!
NothingOkGrey
Favorite Author: Daniel Handler
Favorite Book: Don Quixote
Currently Reading: The Late Starters Orchestra
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nothingokgrey.html
fav_author_id: 3229

Post by NothingOkGrey »

Yes, if I let myself I'll stay up all night reading. I try not to do this anymore since it interferes with school.
Duende Knocking
Favorite Author: Albert Camus
Currently Reading: Too lazy to update this every day
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duende-knocking.html
fav_author_id: 2688

Post by Duende Knocking »

spablo_94 wrote:Yes, I've done that because I couldn't wait to finish the book. And sometimes I have to for school because I usually procrastinate when it comes to reading books required in school. For instance, my prof gave us a month to read a book called The Birth of Modern Politics: Andrew Jackson, John Quincy Adams and the Election of 1828. I didn't do it until the last minute.
Haha same!

Even if I love the reading assignment for college, I am a master procrastinator. I am terrified of my dissertation next year not because it's a dissertation, but because I can't do it all last minute... :o
"Everything is a dangerous drug except reality, which is unendurable."
- Cyril Connolly
Ck89reader
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Ck89reader »

I usually go to bed early (7-9pm) and wake up early and read. Just this past week, I woke up at 2:30am and read over 100 page by 5am ,finishing the book. I also love the peace and quiet in the early morning. When I get immersed, I definitely get up early and read. I take meds that make me fall asleep in 5 minutes. If I was not on meds, I never would sleep and I would stay up all night reading.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”