Why You Should Read "Holding Fire"

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Why You Should Read "Holding Fire"

Post by Scott »

Reason #1 That You Should Read Holding Fire

It's going to be book of the month in May! You should always read the book of the month at OnlineBookClub. It's just the cool thing to do. 8)

Reason #2 That You Should Read Holding Fire

This is probably going to be the best book of the month discussion we have had. This is because the book contains 10 different short stories by 10 different authors. That means we will basically have 10 different discussions. It's like discussing 10 books in one. Also, it will be lots of fun to compare and contrast the different stories as a group. Which stories were written best? Which stories were edited best? How do the styles of each story differ? I wonder if everyone will have the same favorites.

Reason #3 That You Should Read Holding Fire

You are bound to really like--dare I say love--some of the stories. When you usually read a whole book, it's an investment of time. It's kind of annoying to read hundreds of pages of text only to think it was mediocre at best. But with 10 different stories, you are bound to find one that is your cup of tea. Let's not forget either that these aren't just random stories. These were selected by judges.

Reason #4 That You Should Read Holding Fire

All 10 of the winning writers get royalties off of each sale. So when you get your copy--for about the cost of a large coffee--you are helping support the career of these deserving writers. It's more than that, though. These writers are so excited to have their stories in a book and being read. Each sale matters to them. Each person who takes the time to read their art matters. Reading Holding Fire is such an easy way for you to provide such a meaningful gesture to these people. I am sure we have all done something in our lives that we wanted others to appreciate; we know how much it means to a person. This is your chance to support them.

Reason #5 That You Should Read Holding Fire

The authors are all registered members of the forum! I got a lot of positive feedback from some members when the author of the current book of the month, Forever Twelve, participated in the book of the month discussions. How cool is it to have a book club in which the author is part of the book club! Well, this time around it's all 10 authors!

Reason #6 That You Should Read Holding Fire

You could be on the ground floor for the next best-selling author. These are 10 talented aspiring writers. Some are still students. They no doubt have talent to have won the writing contest that led to this book. I am sure there will be a lot success stories in this group, whether with novels or other career paths. This is your chance to be a part of that.

Read Holding Fire Now!

You can get a Kindle copy of Holding Fire or get a Nook copy of Holding Fire. Do it right now. If you don't have an ereader, then stop wasting money and read this. :wink:

Of course, just because you do not specifically have a Kindle or Nook doesn't mean you don't have an ereader. Take a look at the Holding Fire page on Bookshelves for info on how to easily read the book on any smartphone, tablet or computer using the free app.

Tip: There are 10 different stories in the book, so take notes while reading so you are prepared for the awesome discussions in May. I suggest writing down a few notes after finishing each story and before starting the next. What did you like best about the story? What did you like least? What made this story different from the others? These are just some of the kind of cool things we will be talking about in May!

Update April 2, 2015 - The book is now available in paperback! Click here to buy a paperback copy of the book!

Update May 9, 2015 - As an update, the special forum to discuss "Holding Fire" is now open.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Got my copy today! Excited to read a book that came out of this wonderful community. :)
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

You had me at Reason #5. It's always nice to support "one of our own"....in this case, "10 of our own". :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
TLGabelman
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tlgabelman.html
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel

Post by TLGabelman »

No hardcopy? I know you love ereaders, but im just not an ereader lover. If it becomes available as a hardcopy I will buy it.
“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

TLGabelman wrote:No hardcopy? I know you love ereaders, but im just not an ereader lover. If it becomes available as a hardcopy I will buy it.
All of the books for official review on this site are now e-books.
TLGabelman

Post by TLGabelman »

Yes I am aware of that and when I chose to review a book I am able to download it onto my laptop. But this is a book of the month (BOTM) and Id still like to be able to support the authors, I just have a preference.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I agree, we all have preferences. This site used to have paper books available for some of the review books; this option was changed recently.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

The book will be released in paperback. The hard copy release is taking me a little longer because it requires proof copies to actually be printed for my approval. I imagine it will take even longer than originally expected because I expect to decline the proofs currently in the mail to me and order some new ones.

However, it is indeed my strong opinion that buying hard copies instead of using an ereader is a waste of money and very inconvenient for the reasons listed here. Many wise people disagree with me about a lot of my various opinions, though, and there are several topics on these forums about the very subject of ebooks vs traditional books. :)
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
TLGabelman

Post by TLGabelman »

I know you have your preferences and i respect that. I dont own and dont wish to own an ereader. Happy ill be able to show my support even if i cant get a copy in time for the start of the BOTM discussion.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

OMG, I love paperbacks! I collect them. I'm willing to wait for the hard copy.

Moving on, I fully agree with Scott. It's downright immoral and sinful to not read the book of the month. ;-)
(He did say that, right?)
TLGabelman

Post by TLGabelman »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:OMG, I love paperbacks! I collect them. I'm willing to wait for the hard copy.

Moving on, I fully agree with Scott. It's downright immoral and sinful to not read the book of the month. ;-)
(He did say that, right?)
Yay! Good to know im not alone in my love for an actual book! I am excited to read this book. This site has very talented writers !
IzzyS
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by IzzyS »

Hey guys, just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone who has bought/will buy the book, whether on an e-reader or in paperback form, and is reading/will read the stories in it, as I am one of the authors! I'm really enjoying reading the other 9 stories, and can't wait for the Book of the Month discussion!
I'd also like to give Scott a massive thank you for this amazing opportunity, and I'm really glad he liked what I wrote.
Thanks everyone! :)
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

To TLG: Heck, yeah. That's what I'm talking about. Physical books rule! Ya hear me?

To Scott: You might be happy to know that 95% of my sales have been Kindle, not paperback!

To IzzyS: Congrats on your story!! Yay!
JessP25
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by JessP25 »

Hey everyone! I'm also one of the authors published in the anthology. It's been amazing to finally have some of my work put out there for the wider public, and it feels magical to be able to say 'I'm published!'. You're all amazing for buying copies of the book - it's great to know there are people out there that would pay to read our stuff! The contest was a great opportunity, and the other 9 writers are also really amazing! Thanks for buying/planning to buy the book :D
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

Got a copy for my Kindle this weekend and have read the first couple stories already (very entertaining so far). Should have them all read way before discussions begin.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”