Childhood Favorites

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
quadbrookie
Favorite Author: More than one
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quadbrookie.html
Latest Review: "Darker" by Michael Stephenson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Childhood Favorites

Post by quadbrookie »

I would have to say the Goosebumps Series by R.L. Stine, The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Darker" by Michael Stephenson
DarkestbeforeDawn
Currently Reading: The Idiot
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darkestbeforedawn.html
Latest Review: "Padanaram Village" by Jack Burbank

Post by DarkestbeforeDawn »

I remember the first book I read was Frog and Toad by Arnold Lobel. Those were really great. Amelia Bedelia was also a great childhood classic.
Latest Review: "Padanaram Village" by Jack Burbank
PaulaSofia
Currently Reading: You
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by PaulaSofia »

The Little House series. Ah, memories :)
mhebler
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mhebler »

Green Eggs and Ham, definitely
mbeitz
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbeitz.html

Post by mbeitz »

The Magic Tree house books and any Dr. Seuss book
Nesmi
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nesmi.html

Post by Nesmi »

Harry Potter of course haha but in 5th grade I really loved reading A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett and I was obsessed with the Nancy Drew series too. Which Witch by Eva Ibbotson is still one of my favorites too :D
Hannah_Graceful
Currently Reading: Wildwood Imperium
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-graceful.html

Post by Hannah_Graceful »

C.S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia...Beverly Cleary's books...Marguerite Henry's Misty of Chincoteague books. Gertrude Chandler Warner's Boxcar Children series, and of course the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew!
emmad88

Post by emmad88 »

Embarrassingly enough- The Babysitters Club series. I must have read them each fifty times over lol. Also the first book I can remember reading, "The Real Tilly Beany" by Annie Dalton. Which is read to the point that it basically fell apart.
agreenwood
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agreenwood.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by agreenwood »

I had several favorites as a child, but the ones that stick in my mind are "BrookGreen Farms" ( I do not know the author and couldn't find it easily) and Dr. Suess, specifically "Marvin K Mooney, Will You Please Go Now?" And now that I am a parent, I read to my children every single night and they have there own favorites, mostly Berenstain Bears.
readingnation
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingnation.html

Post by readingnation »

Goosebumps, Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Captain Underpants, Arthur, Clifford, and many others.
Tgoody53015
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6356">The Girl On The Train</a>
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tgoody53015.html
Latest Review: "Straight Ahead, In the Dark" by S. M. Bailey

Post by Tgoody53015 »

Unfortunately I don't remember reading that much as a child. Once I got a little older I would go to the library more often to get books but since I didn't really like reading very often I can't say I had any favorites. After working with children from many years now as an adult I LOVE Dr. Seuss. I am due next month with my first child and I have already started collecting book for him. I read daily to him and to the children I baby sit so he is already being exposed to books. I plan to read to him starting when he comes home! I want him to learn to love reading like I have recently learned to do. Pretty sad that I am 24 going to be 25 this summer and just finding that I enjoy reading. Though reading as an adult is obviously different because I am not in school being told what I NEED to read, I am enjoying exploring different genres and authors.
Latest Review: "Straight Ahead, In the Dark" by S. M. Bailey
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

I just thought of some more series that I used to love as a younger kid. First and foremost was The Saddle Club series. I read and re-read so many of these, and I don't think I made it through half the list. One that I loved in elementary school was the Hank the Cowdog series. I loved all of the mischief he got into.
wendy h25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110

Post by wendy h25 »

1) The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan
2) The Giver by Lois Lowry
3) Heidi by Johanna Spyri and Angelo Rinaldi and Beverly Cleary
ErikaP13
Favorite Author: Terry Brooks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erikap13.html
Latest Review: The Eye of Illumination by W.C. Gorski
fav_author_id: 5000

Post by ErikaP13 »

The Percy Jackson books were the first to pop into my mind. They were the first books I bought myself as a kid. I saved for months and made my mom take me to the book shop on my birthday so I could get them for myself. I still have them. So they mean a lot. I loved reading Roald Dahl stories when I was young too. The Harry Potter's and Lord of the Ring type books only started grabbing my attention into my later teen years.
laceepogue
Currently Reading:

Post by laceepogue »

I loved loved loved the Magic Treehouse Books. But I also read Harry Potter as a child. But, the book I carried around and reread and reread and reread and wore out the pages reading was Lacey's Dancing Shoes..Don't ask me why. Actually, I can tell you. My name is Lacee for starters. Same name, different spelling. The other reason is Lacey is clumsy. She messes up. Her self-esteem is very low. Lacey is me. Lacey has always been me. Lacey and I relate. I still love to reread it when I am feeling low. I will probably read it to my future daughter.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”