Childhood Favorites

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
kellythomas38
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kellythomas38.html

Childhood Favorites

Post by kellythomas38 »

Hello there everyone!

Occasionally I get into conversations with my students about books. Actually, it happens often, and I love it when it does. Today, a student asked me the following:

Miss Thomas? When you were little, what were your favorite books?

First of all, I loved the fact that she asked me about my favorite books rather than my favorite book, but this question always gives me hives. For as long as I can remember, I have been a reader. As a child, when people would ask me what I was or what I wanted to be, I'd say a reader. But I can't remember what I read or why I read it...or even what the first book was that I read all on my own.

Today was different, however. Suddenly, at least a dozen titles came swirling into my brain and it made me so happy I almost cried. My favorite books were as follows:

1. the stories of forest animals by Beatrix Potter - I had a collection of them and loved to have them read to me, to read them myself, or to read to others.
2. The Lorax by Dr. Seuss - It was a combination of the drawings, the colors, and the story. I was always very opinionated and liked a good cause.
3. The Nutcracker - As a ballerina, I liked to listen to this story, but I distinctly remember hating to read it by myself.
4. Charlotte's Web - This was my favorite in kindergarten and well into 3rd grade.
5. The Harry Potter series - When I was in 4th grade, I discovered the magical world of Harry Potter and was infatuated (and still am).

So I guess my question is this:

What were your favorite books as children?

-Kelly
Christinar81
Favorite Author: Too hard to pick one
Currently Reading: Barracuda
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinar81.html
Latest Review: "Revelations From the Past" by Lori J Gordon

Post by Christinar81 »

I loved reading as a child. I can't remember a lot of the books that I read, but there are 2 series that really stand out to me. The first one is the Babysitter's Club series. I had the whole series and read them over and over again. The second series were the Nancy Drew books. I loved to imagine myself as Namcy Drew and would make up little mysteries to solve myself.
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”
― Mae West
Latest Review: "Revelations From the Past" by Lori J Gordon
ReadandRoll[
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: There are several
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... nbroken</a>
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower IV
Bookshelf Size: 550
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReadandRoll[ »

Charlotte's Web, Travels with Charley, Tom Sawyer
Spud
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Spud »

Oh great question!
1. The Secret Garden (Frances Hodgson Burnett) - I loved reading about the children exploring the house and grounds and the adventures they had.
2. Any of Sheila K McCullagh's pirate stories. I was obsessed with these in primary school.
3. The Chronicles of Narnia ( CS Lewis) - Children having out of this world adventures, whats not to love?!

There are so many more that i cannot think of right now . . . .
jadestar31
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jadestar31.html

Post by jadestar31 »

My absolute favourite children's novel is The Phantom Tollbooth. I re-read that book as an adult, and it's so wonderful to pick up on things you didn't notice the first time. I think the best children's books are the ones that adults can read and enjoy as well.
Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy. ~Unknown
kimberlyrav

Post by kimberlyrav »

I totally loved, will never forget and have read many times afterward, WIND IN THE WILLOWS. I remember being so caught up in the book, I actually thought it was possible for animals to talk and interact the way they did in the book. Just a bit of fantasy in my mind I guess. Wishing I would come upon a toad or a badger and see them rowing down stream off into the sunset and Id be hiding behind the tress watching their every move.
Another I read even younger was LITTLE WOMEN. I truly loved it, when the movie came out I didnt want to watch it and ruin my idea on how everyone looked or acted. But I wasnt disappointed at all with the movie, it was just lovely.
Another I would like to mention was Heaven by VC Andrews. My mom came home one day and handed the book to me as she had just bought it NEW from the pharmacy in town. I saw the girl on the front and thought how much she looked like me. It was the first book my mom had ever bought me in paperback. Ill never forget the story and to this day Heaven is my fav book after Wind in the Willows.
bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Thumbalina was a book my father read to me before bed. I loved that book.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
d0dridge
Favorite Author: Raymond Feist
Currently Reading: Ethics on the Ark
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-d0dridge.html
Latest Review: "Aeon" by Peter Donovan

Post by d0dridge »

My favourite authors were Willard Price, Enid Blyton and Beatrix Potter. I really enjoyed the Harry Potter series but only started reading them early teens so not sure if that totally qualifies as a childhood favourite.

There were books I read that had themes and characters that really made an impact on me when I was really young but I can't remember the titles or authors. I've only managed to track down a few of them that I remember.
Latest Review: "Aeon" by Peter Donovan
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Betty Ren Wright--The Dollhouse Murders, and many other good ones! The Secret Window, and A Ghost in the Window--eerie books about a girl with prophetic dreams.
Peggy Parrish--mysteries! Three siblings run around together following the clues!
Four books about Bill and June, who always entered a magical world together and became Bivotar and Juranda! You had to make the decisions, and there was only one correct ending.
Beverly Cleary--Ramona! And one about a girl named Emily living in the 1920's.

Scholastic paperbacks in general... The Girl With the Silver Eyes, and Don't Hurt Laurie! Both by Willo Davis(?)
Back then, all the children's books (for upper elementary ages) were the same size (about half an inch thick), and they all featured an eleven-year-old, usually a girl. So much more variety for the young reader today!

-- 05 Apr 2015, 00:32 --
kimberlyrav wrote: Another I would like to mention was Heaven by VC Andrews. My mom came home one day and handed the book to me as she had just bought it NEW from the pharmacy in town. I saw the girl on the front and thought how much she looked like me. It was the first book my mom had ever bought me in paperback. Ill never forget the story and to this day Heaven is my fav book after Wind in the Willows.
Wowz. I discovered VC Andrews at twelve--I was perusing my grandmother's library of books. To this day, I don't know why I did this, but I read Petals on the Wind, and then I read Flowers in the Attic. I remember thinking during Petals on the Wind, "What are these characters whining about?"

Then I read Flowers in the Attic, and I was just like, "Oh. I'm on board now."

(Also, I was ashamed to be reading them, so I "borrowed" them from Granny. When I returned them, she said I could borrow any time I wanted if I'd return them. That was nice of her.)

(Same thing when I "borrowed" Angels by Billy Graham. I thought that at twelve, I wasn't supposed to be reading such esoteric stuff. But Granny had no problem with it, so I was able to quit hiding in the attic space to read it!)

(I was a weird kid. But I loved to read.)

But anyway, I loved Heaven too. Heaven Leigh Casteel. I read pretty far into that series, but I never made it all the way. And this was twenty years ago, mind you, when I was sixteen. I like how your mom bought you the paperback!
dancing with hugo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancing-with-hugo.html

Post by dancing with hugo »

A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter. Elnora's determination to overcome all obstacles and achieve her goals was inspirational for me as a young girl. Like Elnora, I was beaten down by a bitter, angry mother, impoverished, and ridiculed by my peers. And I fought to rise above all of it.
As well, the language and style of the book resonated with my need for artistry in my life at the time: it seemed so beautifully written as to be almost poetry instead of prose. I tell you, my heartstrings vibrated in tune with the violin music throughout the story!
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

I have a hard time remembering all the books I read as a child. I distinctly remember being engrossed in a children's version of Pilgrims Progress. Loved and still love The Chronicle's of Narnia. Read a bunch of Nancy Drew. When I was very young I remember laughing at Amelia Bedilia and Dr Suess books.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
memory
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-memory.html
Latest Review: "Rogue & Royal" by Alan S. Blood

Post by memory »

I read a ton of the Beverly Cleary books and Madeline L'Engle. I also loved the Bunnicula series that were really funny. I never really got into Dr. Suess although I love "Oh the Places You'll Go" as an adult.
Latest Review: "Rogue & Royal" by Alan S. Blood
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

I loved the Nancy Drew mysteries. There were so many of them they were easy to get at yard sales cheaply. Which was right in line with what my allowance could comfortably purchase.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
michellelindstedt50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michellelindstedt50.html

Post by michellelindstedt50 »

I joined Goodreads, and the site asked for me to rate my favorites. I was surprised to find that many of my all time favorites were not adult books, but children's. The ones that never lose their delight: Oliver Twist, Alice in Wonderland, Alexander's No Good, Very Bad Day, ......The Monster at the end of This Book....! Within several minutes, I had flagged 75 children's books as favorites. I probably could have continued for hours. Children's books are the best. The color, pictures, rhymes, and rhythms.
ReadandRoll[
Favorite Author: There are several
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... nbroken</a>
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower IV
Bookshelf Size: 550

Post by ReadandRoll[ »

SparklingOne wrote:I loved the Nancy Drew mysteries. There were so many of them they were easy to get at yard sales cheaply. Which was right in line with what my allowance could comfortably purchase.
...and Hardy Boys :)
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~Chinese Proverb

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”