Childhood Favorites

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Re: Childhood Favorites

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

LivreAmour217 wrote:I used to love reading The Babysitter's Club series and books by Mary Downing Hahn. I also enjoyed reading non-fiction books about dinosaurs.
Hey, Livre, I have a Mary Downing Hahn collection! I've read about half of them. Deep and Dark and Dangerous rocked! As did The Old Willis Place, Closed for the Season, and The Dead Man in Indian Creek.

On my still-to-read list are All the Lovely Bad Ones, Wait Till Helen Comes, and The Doll in the Garden. :)
lois barker
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lois-barker.html

Post by lois barker »

I used to love Jacqueline Wilson books when I was little
SpiMer
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spimer.html
Latest Review: "Cookie Cutter" by Jo Richardson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by SpiMer »

This subject was on my mind earlier! I was just thinking about how I've enjoyed sharing some of my favorites with my kids. So far, the Frog and Toad books have made me the most nostalgic. I still love them! We've also had fun reading Peter Rabbit together, as well as anything Dr. Seuss. I look forward to sharing Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys and Madeleine L'Engle with them when they're older.
Latest Review: "Cookie Cutter" by Jo Richardson
crenner07
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crenner07.html

Post by crenner07 »

I loved Charlotte's Web (which makes my family laugh because I hate spiders with a passion), The Babysitter's Club series, Nancy Drew, The Chronicles of Narnia, the Sherlock Holmes stories, The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. I would read so fast that the local public library allowed us to check out more books than were technically allowed because I could not get there more than twice a week in the summer.

I recently visited Universal Orlando and I wanted to spend all day in the Dr Seuss world. I'd forgotten how much I loved his books.
kriver

Post by kriver »

When I was very little 1-4. My mom would read to me and try to cheat and I wouldn't let her get away with it I knew the stories by heart One had a character called Thumper Pigely wiggley Uncle remimus brior patch something like that don't know the name of it. at 11 yrs I read every Hardy Boy book they had. I was put into military school and the ONLY thing I did was read them. Every other week I would bring 3 pillow cases filled with books and read them all within two weeks. pack them home and bring back another batch. I didn't do one test or any home work or school work at all. I would put any answer down so I could go back to reading. I was trying to flunk I wanted to get straight F's so I would get thrown out. It didn't work I got straight A's instead. I didn't learn a thing academically. I did learn a love for reading and books in general though. Through books I was able to run away.

-- 19 May 2015, 18:21 --

Peter Rabbit was the book I was trying to think of.

-- 19 May 2015, 18:36 --

for girls: Nancy Drew series. boys Hardy Boys series Tom Sawyer Huck Finn and other Mark Twain books. Swiss family Robinson, Robinson Cursoe, Prince and the Pauper.
Wizzy56
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wizzy56.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Wizzy56 »

I so remember the magic that books can bring to a little boys mind. Treasure Island, Moby Dick, Charles Dickens books. Those books transported me to another world....
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:
LivreAmour217 wrote:I used to love reading The Babysitter's Club series and books by Mary Downing Hahn. I also enjoyed reading non-fiction books about dinosaurs.
Hey, Livre, I have a Mary Downing Hahn collection! I've read about half of them. Deep and Dark and Dangerous rocked! As did The Old Willis Place, Closed for the Season, and The Dead Man in Indian Creek.

On my still-to-read list are All the Lovely Bad Ones, Wait Till Helen Comes, and The Doll in the Garden. :)
Awesome! Wait Till Helen Comes and The Doll in the Garden were childhood favorites. I remember checking out Dead Man in Indian Creek in fifth or sixth grade, but for some reason did not finish it (I think it was toward the end of the school year, so I had to turn it in before I was done). Hmm...I guess I'll have to put that one back on the reading list!!!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
beebee216
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beebee216.html
Latest Review: "Braineater Jones" by Stephen Kozeniewski
fav_author_id: 2475

Post by beebee216 »

I always loved the Amelia Bedelia books, since I felt I could relate to her so well. Also absolutely loved the Magic Treehouse series and the Series of Unfortunate Events books. Dr. Seuss always. Anything Beverly Clearly. But especially the Little Critter books.
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying" -Oscar Wilde
Latest Review: "Braineater Jones" by Stephen Kozeniewski
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

LivreAmour217 wrote:
zeldas_lullaby wrote:

Awesome! Wait Till Helen Comes and The Doll in the Garden were childhood favorites. I remember checking out Dead Man in Indian Creek in fifth or sixth grade, but for some reason did not finish it (I think it was toward the end of the school year, so I had to turn it in before I was done). Hmm...I guess I'll have to put that one back on the reading list!!!
Great!! I love a straightforward ghost story. They don't write too many anymore, but a current author is Dan Poblocki. When I was a kid, I also loved the books of Betty Ren Wright. If you haven't read her The Dollhouse Murders, Livre, then please put that at the top of your list!!! It's actually still in print!
Aisha_watson
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-watson.html

Post by Aisha_watson »

Hi everyone,

As a child I use to love to read books like Scooby-Doo and a book called "little boy Blue". I read that book so much when I was little, that I still to this day remember every last one of that book.
sagarverma
Favorite Author: William Shakespeare
fav_author_id: 2482

Post by sagarverma »

During childhood time, I do watch and read harry potter series.
Lilapo9
Favorite Author: Diane Duane
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 29675">The Ministry of Cantors</a>
Currently Reading: Handbook for Cantors
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilapo9.html
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
Reading Device: B00EM3WGYY
fav_author_id: 4363

Post by Lilapo9 »

The books I loved as a child were the Little House Series by Laura Ingalls Wilder, any of the Jean Craighead George books, and The Wizard of Earthsea trilogy by Ursula K LeGuin. I also liked the Dragonriders of Pern written by Anne McCaffrey.
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
Lovely_Loreley
Favorite Author: Donita K. Paul
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 776">Light of the Oracle</a>
Currently Reading: The Blue Fairy Book
Bookshelf Size: 370
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovely-loreley.html
Latest Review: "Vanished in Berlin" by Gry Finsnes
Reading Device: B00UB76290
fav_author_id: 13786

Post by Lovely_Loreley »

I read A LOT as a kid, so I had a lot of favorites. My parents quickly realized that the best way to keep me busy was to get me hooked on series, especially ones with a lot a books. Some of these series were bedtime stories that my parents read, and some of them were my own reading materials:

Magic Treehouse series
Goosebumps series
Animorphs series
Pony Pals series
Animal Ark books

And when I was old enough to get through chapter books on my own, without my parents' help, I started reading Little House on the Prairie, Nancy Drew, Chronicles of Narnia, and Warriors. The Warriors books by Erin Hunter are like my guilty pleasure now haha

Oh, and in middle school I discovered that the Wizard of Oz was actually an entire series so I read all of those too!
Latest Review: "Vanished in Berlin" by Gry Finsnes
reyesmaribel47
Currently Reading: Light of Day
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyesmaribel47.html

Post by reyesmaribel47 »

I loved reading books as a child and still today. Some of my all time favorites were Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister and all the Junie B. Jones book series by Barbara Park as well as the Captain Underpants series by Dav Pilkey.
cap78
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by cap78 »

I was a big fan of Roald Dahl (BFG may have been my favorite) and Matt Christopher (The Kid Who Only Hit Homers was my favorite)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”