Do you rate/review books you didn't finish?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Kmcarroll
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmcarroll.html

Re: Do you rate/review books you didn't finish?

Post by Kmcarroll »

Every so often, I'll attempt to read a book that is SO bad, I actually do remark on Goodreads that I couldn't finish it, and explain why, and leave three stars. I usually make it at least halfway before quitting, though. I screen books via Amazon sample or preview, and usually if a book is going to be abysmal, it'll show up early on.

Like that one with a cool cover that I checked out, and it was The Last Airbender fanfic with the names slightly changed. :facepalm:

I haven't done it in a long time, mostly because it's been a long time since I made it that far in a book and felt like I could review it. I'll NEVER review it on Amazon that way, though. I know it hurts their ranking, etc. But Goodreads is like social media, and I feel like I can complain a little more over there. Again, not in a while, though.
k madhavilatha
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhavilatha.html

Post by k madhavilatha »

Sometimes we do not feel like reading the entire book if we find it very boring or totally out of our interest. then i stop reading the book and the rating would obviously be : hopeless.
amandacwestbrook
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandacwestbrook.html

Post by amandacwestbrook »

If I cannot find it in my heart to finish a book, I would most certainly state my opinion on why I could not bring myself to finish it, however I would not give it an actual "review." It is an unfair rating based on my interest level of the subject, usually. Someone else may find the book to be the best read ever.
SmLovesBooks12
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smlovesbooks12.html

Post by SmLovesBooks12 »

No because I don't want to judge a book I've only read half of or a few pages. Some authors have twists on their endings and have certain events in the middle of the book that influence how the story ends.If I haven't read that far, why would I rate it? What if that was the meat of the story?
Jazmin17
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades Darker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jazmin17.html

Post by Jazmin17 »

I am always happy to rate a book I haven't finished. This review most likely wouldn't be a good review. If I don't finish a book, it's generally for some reason. This may be because it dragged on, was to complicated or difficult to read or in the worst case was boring and didn't captivate me. Chances are if one person doesn't enjoy reading that book then some others won't either. These books do still need reviews.
steelecanne

Post by steelecanne »

From my own personal experience, I can say that there are a few books that I have been unable to finish. Not out of boredom or "laziness", but because the book has not caught my attention. I feel that this is part of the author's job, to catch the readers attention. Its nothing personal against the author and I do not feel it should be seen as rude. You are told to give an honest review. If you don't/can't finish a book you should at least be able to explain why.
CharChar84
Currently Reading: The Submissive
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by CharChar84 »

Absolutely! Every book deserves an honest review...and sometimes, those reviews are based on the fact that a book was dull, boring or too complicated to finish. It's a very rare instance that I don't finish a book, but with the few that I haven't, I was always willing and able to give a reason why.
kclee94
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kclee94.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by kclee94 »

Some books are horrible but i think that anything can change on any page. I believe its a great thing to push yourself threw the book before you comment
easaands
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-easaands.html

Post by easaands »

No. It is like eating at a caf, and telling all my friends the caf is bad just because i hated a cup of coffee they served. However, if I'm familiar with the author's writing, damn yes!

-- 09 Jul 2015, 09:11 --

Forgot to say, I feel people who rate without finishing, they are not editing the book, so they can rate when they feel like.
KitKat_Reader
Favorite Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat-reader.html
Latest Review: "Hat of Keepings" by D.C. Vincent
fav_author_id: 3662

Post by KitKat_Reader »

dee74 wrote:I don't rate them because I feel that it is unfair by me not finishing the book.
I completely agree with that. If I didn't finish the book then I don't have the right to judge the book in it's entirety and my analysis wouldn't be able to be as beneficial as possible to anyone else thinking about reading the book or even the author themselves.
Latest Review: "Hat of Keepings" by D.C. Vincent
lilaceverdeen
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilaceverdeen.html

Post by lilaceverdeen »

I am not the kind of reader who rate books if I didn't finish it. I feel like I'm being unfair to the author and to those who have read and like the book. Some books have a good start but it can slide down the hill in an instant while there are books that are so slow at the beginning that when I put it down I do not want to pick it up again. But I gave a review at times when I'm really frustrated with the book that I didn't finish. :lol:
CCtheBrave
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2819

Post by CCtheBrave »

If I were to write a professional review on a book, I would feel obligated to finish the entire book, no exceptions! However, if I was only reading a book for pleasure, and I really didn't like it, I would still review it, if only to address how unappealing or badly it was written in the beginning. I agree with a lot of you, though, that if you're going to write "DNF" and give it one star, you should tell readers why it was so bad.
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
IzzyReklaw

Post by IzzyReklaw »

Not really, if I gave up on it because I was bored and wanted to read something else then no. But if I didn't finish it because it is just the worst book on the face of the earth, then you can trust me to write a fifty page essay on it XD
Layla_20_20
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-layla-20-20.html

Post by Layla_20_20 »

No to be honest I am a very conscientious person and whether I like or dislike the book I am disciplined enough to read the book to the very end. If the book is so awful I might skip bits of the texts within the book but on the whole I would say that because I enjoy the challenge of reviewing a book I will strive to read it to the end.
daniellelynne
Currently Reading: We Have Always Lived in the Castle
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniellelynne.html

Post by daniellelynne »

only if its so terribly dry I can not force myself to finish it

-- 16 Jul 2015, 10:26 --

only if its so terribly dry I can not force myself to finish it
Last edited by daniellelynne on 16 Jul 2015, 10:26, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”