How do you organize your bookshelf?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Hannah Hampton
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-hampton.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Knowledge by Terence H.Young

How do you organize your bookshelf?

Post by Hannah Hampton »

I like to organize mine by how much I enjoyed the books, and also by genre! On my top shelf I have the Harry Potter series, the Golden Compass trilogy, and the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I have a lot of miscellaneous standalone book on my lower shelf, and then my bottom shelf has records and some stuffed animals! I've seen some people organize their books by the color of their covers, and their shelves look amazing! I'm curious how everybody organizes their books?
Melissa Best
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: Love and Marriage
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-best.html
Latest Review: Chameleons by Martin Wyatt

Post by Melissa Best »

When I was younger, I used to organize by the heights of the books, so I could see them descend down the shelf! Nowadays it's less organized, and they usually end up in the order of what's been read last, adding my most recent book to a side once I've finished it. The colorfully organized shelves are nice, honestly I might have to try doing that.
Donna Walker
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vitality System
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-walker.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Donna Walker »

Hannah Hampton wrote: 19 Feb 2023, 15:17 I like to organize mine by how much I enjoyed the books, and also by genre! On my top shelf I have the Harry Potter series, the Golden Compass trilogy, and the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I have a lot of miscellaneous standalone book on my lower shelf, and then my bottom shelf has records and some stuffed animals! I've seen some people organize their books by the color of their covers, and their shelves look amazing! I'm curious how everybody organizes their books?
We would get along great! I have the prettiest collector's edition hard copies of all of the books you mentioned! I tend to display my favourite fancy books on the limited shelves I have and store the others in under-the-bed storage (I know, scandalous), and now I tend to use my kindle more and more as I am constantly travelling and don't have the space for physical books anymore. 
Carlos Mata Saenz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

I have mine organised by genre, and then inside each genre by series. With all the ones about health at the bottom, general in the middle and fiction at the top (HP, LOTR, etc). If I have a book twice (as The Hobbit, normal edition and collector) I have them together.
Curtis Jefferson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
2024 Reading Goal: 104
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Curtis Jefferson »

I've organized different ways over time. Currently, I have three bookshelves side-by-side. The left side has fiction that I've read, the middle has books I've not yet read, and the right side has non-fiction that I've read. Each shelf is organized by author name. I do have another shelf in my home office that has my grad school and job-related books, also organized by author name.
Maslina
Currently Reading: DentistryXposed
Bookshelf Size: 1035

Post by Maslina »

By genre then sub-genres. My Classics and childhood favourites are arranged on my best shelves as they are the most cherished.
Prosper Chukwuemeka 1
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Prosper Chukwuemeka 1 »

I arrange bookshelf According to their importance and the information they carry.
urrutiap
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by urrutiap »

most of the time i organize whatever books i have in my bookcase by how big they are such from hardcovers and paperbacks. If its a huge hardcover like Stephen King's Under the Dome or Bazaar of Bad Dreams, they barely fit in the shelf so i have to slide them in somehow or put them away in a storage tub with other books.

paperbacks are easy to put on the shelf for my 2 shelf bookcase but its books in hardcover that can get to be a pain in the butt since hardcovers both old and new tend to get a big too big to get them to fit on the shelf
AlexGrav
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexgrav.html
Latest Review: The Three Heavens by Paul Hitchiner

Post by AlexGrav »

I have mine organised by genre, and then inside each genre by series. With all the ones about health at the bottom, general in the middle and fiction at the top (HP, LOTR, etc). If I have a book twice (as The Hobbit, normal edition and collector) I have them together.
AlexGrav
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexgrav.html
Latest Review: The Three Heavens by Paul Hitchiner

Post by AlexGrav »

most of the time i organize whatever books i have in my bookcase by how big they are such from hardcovers and paperbacks. If its a huge hardcover like Stephen King's Under the Dome or Bazaar of Bad Dreams, they barely fit in the shelf so i have to slide them in somehow or put them away in a storage tub with other books.

paperbacks are easy to put on the shelf for my 2 shelf bookcase but its books in hardcover that can get to be a pain in the butt since hardcovers both old and new tend to get a big too big to get them to fit on the shelf
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Paul Link »

most of the time i organize whatever books i have in my bookcase by how big they are such from hardcovers and paperbacks.
Kaylyn_Marie
Currently Reading: The Eater of Gods
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylyn-marie.html
Latest Review: H.O.E Hustle Over Everything by Samantha Camel
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Kaylyn_Marie »

Right now my bookshelf is color-coordinated but I constantly find myself struggling with how to organize it. I like having my series together and genres together but the different heights and color schemes make the shelf look too chaotic. So I find myself switching it up way too frequently.
~The Tatted Reader :reading-3:
Kaylyn_Marie
Currently Reading: The Eater of Gods
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylyn-marie.html
Latest Review: H.O.E Hustle Over Everything by Samantha Camel
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Kaylyn_Marie »

I've never tried organizing by genre, but it makes sense. I'll have to try it.
Maslina wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 05:11 By genre then sub-genres. My Classics and childhood favourites are arranged on my best shelves as they are the most cherished.
~The Tatted Reader :reading-3:
Jyotii Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jyotii-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Break up with him now by Lena Lubinka
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Jyotii Reviewer »

Books are categorised into respective genres and then I arrange them according to their height and width,like the thickest one goes to the corner and the thinner ones follow.
devtastic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 442

Post by devtastic »

My favorite series/authors are right at eye level. I used to have it organized by genre/author/publishing date which made it very hard to add to my collection because it involved a lot of rearranging. I am now much more fluid and keep a shelf for "To read" along with individual author shelves. Otherwise, as long as I can easily find it, has some sort of logic (I would never put my classics with guilty pleasures because it just makes my brain stutter out) I let it be fluid.

I've found that by keeping it fluid I can easily identify what I'm in the mood for and how my taste changes or circles back over time.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”