How do you choose the next book you will be reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Ecaterina Raileanu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ecaterina-raileanu.html
Latest Review: The Fighting Ibex by Leo Peterson

How do you choose the next book you will be reading?

Post by Ecaterina Raileanu »

When you finish a book, how do you decide what’s next? Do you like to keep the same genre for a long time or do you switch between categories book by book?
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Ecaterina Raileanu wrote: 21 Feb 2023, 11:05 When you finish a book, how do you decide what’s next? Do you like to keep the same genre for a long time or do you switch between categories book by book?
That’s an interesting question. When it’s time for me to choose my next book to review, I look through all the genres that I read, which is pretty much all of them except for sci-fi and romance (but I’ve learned to never say never and have enjoyed reading a few books in those genres too). When a sample is available, I always sample the book. Doing this has spared me on a few occasions when I could tell immediately that I did not connect with the writing style or storyline. Sometimes, when I have finished a heavy nonfiction or historical-fiction read, I will choose a children’s book if I find one I like. They relax my mind, and I enjoy the illustrations and the lessons they often share. A couple of times, I knew I had chosen the right book when I was literally excited after selecting it.

How do you decide?
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

It depends on which blurb interests me. Oftentimes, I chose historical fiction, nonfiction, and other fiction but now I am broadening my horizon about genre books. It's been a while since I want to read a children's book but at my level, it is still unavailable.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Ecaterina Raileanu
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ecaterina-raileanu.html
Latest Review: The Fighting Ibex by Leo Peterson

Post by Ecaterina Raileanu »

MsH2k wrote: 22 Feb 2023, 18:37
Ecaterina Raileanu wrote: 21 Feb 2023, 11:05 When you finish a book, how do you decide what’s next? Do you like to keep the same genre for a long time or do you switch between categories book by book?
That’s an interesting question. When it’s time for me to choose my next book to review, I look through all the genres that I read, which is pretty much all of them except for sci-fi and romance (but I’ve learned to never say never and have enjoyed reading a few books in those genres too). When a sample is available, I always sample the book. Doing this has spared me on a few occasions when I could tell immediately that I did not connect with the writing style or storyline. Sometimes, when I have finished a heavy nonfiction or historical-fiction read, I will choose a children’s book if I find one I like. They relax my mind, and I enjoy the illustrations and the lessons they often share. A couple of times, I knew I had chosen the right book when I was literally excited after selecting it.

How do you decide?
Reading a sample in advance is a really good idea. I only used to read the description of the book but sometimes, even if the topic is attractive, I might just not like the writing tone.
When it comes to deciding what to read next, it really depends on the mood. Sometimes I get caught up in a specific period of time (like WWII) or on the contrary I want a change and I choose something really different. Sometimes I want to read more of the same author just to make a better view of his writing style and to discover more of his talent. All in all, I like books where you can find well-developed characters, and where there is more than action and suspense. For me it’s important to learn something from a novel, to be able to take something with me from the experiences of the characters.
Hannah Jones 8
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Cruising Through The Teens, Easier Than It Seems
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-jones-8.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Hannah Jones 8 »

I have been considering this recently, as I am looking to read a new book and am unsure of whether to stay with the same genre. Overall, I think it personally depends on what kind of mood I am in at the time. Do I want to be philosophical, looking inwards at my own psyche and spirituality? Do I want to become savvier with finances? Do I want to learn something completely new? Or do I simply want to get lost in a book and be transported to a completely different place?
Donna Walker
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vitality System
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-walker.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Donna Walker »

I tend to always be reading about six or seven different books at the same time and jumping between them depending on my mood. The genres are pretty well mixed up. So my next choice is usually whatever takes my fancy at the time, and it can be based on the genre book I just finished reading. 
Ma Leonarda Castañares
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-leonarda-casta-ares.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Ma Leonarda Castañares »

Based on the first sentence. You'll know when a book is worth reading if its opening sentence is mind blowing
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
MesfnKalu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mesfnkalu.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by MesfnKalu »

Ichoos
Kaylyn_Marie
Currently Reading: The Eater of Gods
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylyn-marie.html
Latest Review: H.O.E Hustle Over Everything by Samantha Camel
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Kaylyn_Marie »

This is going to sound ridiculous but I actually use a random number generator to choose my next book.

It will choose a random number and then I'll correlate that to my list and choose that book.

However, if I'm looking for more specific genres/moods I'll look at my bookshelves on Goodreads and browse until I'm attracted to a book cover or description (I know, judging a book by its cover *tsk* *tsk*).
~The Tatted Reader :reading-3:
Angie Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1082
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angie-fernandez.html
Latest Review: Level 1 Decodable Phonics Reader-Short Vowels by Sara Gross

Post by Angie Fernandez »

I follow several book club suggestions, and I read the blurb on the book cover at the library. I have also found that an attractive book cover often catches my eye. Of course, I have my favorite authors too, and I am always on the lookout for their newest releases.
Kaylyn_Marie
Currently Reading: The Eater of Gods
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylyn-marie.html
Latest Review: H.O.E Hustle Over Everything by Samantha Camel
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Kaylyn_Marie »

I also keep an eye on my favorite authors and their new releases but sometimes find it hard to keep up and make room in my reading schedule to read the books right away.
Angie Fernandez wrote: 13 Jul 2023, 10:03 I follow several book club suggestions, and I read the blurb on the book cover at the library. I have also found that an attractive book cover often catches my eye. Of course, I have my favorite authors too, and I am always on the lookout for their newest releases.
~The Tatted Reader :reading-3:
Seetha E
Currently Reading: The prodigy slave
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seetha-e.html
Latest Review: The Reverend Psychopath by Dr Andrew Rynne

Post by Seetha E »

The book is usually referred to me... after which I still look up references to ascertain if I would like a particular book or now. Generally it will depend on the current mood, if a light read or something absorbing.
Solex2424
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Solex2424 »

I don't easily switch to another genre when i t comes to reading instead, I will dwell on a particular genre for a long time just so I can get a bigger picture of the whole thing. .
Jovana Vukojicic
Currently Reading: Requiem For A Queen
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jovana-vukojicic.html
Latest Review: Mithra by John M. Rattenbury
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Jovana Vukojicic »

I often choose the book by the title. If I feel like it's calling me I will read the book.
Love bite
Cara Wilding
Favorite Book: Sierra Six
Currently Reading: Global Vice
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-wilding.html
Latest Review: Family Business by James Jack Fauser
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 7%

Post by Cara Wilding »

I've been making my way through an author's entire series via audiobook; I listen to these before going to sleep. I remember when I got to my last book of my last series, which took me nearly a year to finish, I was sad. It was a "book-hole" so to speak! I was recommended an author by the 'system' based on my reading preferences, and I found a whole new series to enjoy!

For my print books, I've got a handful of books I keep on my "want to read" bookshelf after having read some great reviews here. If I find the author I'm currently reading has additional books, I may jump to those before my bookshelf. I switch genres often, mostly based on my mood and energy levels. When I want something "easy" and distracting, I go with fantasy or science fiction. When I'm feeling particularly energetic (my brain wants to be stimulated), I'll take on non-fiction or historical non-fiction.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”