Re-reading: pros and cons

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Ecaterina Raileanu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ecaterina-raileanu.html
Latest Review: The Fighting Ibex by Leo Peterson

Re-reading: pros and cons

Post by Ecaterina Raileanu »

What do you think about re-reading the same book multiple times? I like sometimes to read again a book I used to love years ago, just to see if I still feel the same about it.
Melissa Best
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: Love and Marriage
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-best.html
Latest Review: Chameleons by Martin Wyatt

Post by Melissa Best »

Yes, I love it! I often find that there are details I've missed or forgotten, and it can also be a good reminder of why I enjoyed a book so much the first time. No harm in trying to recapture that initial enjoyment! Plus, some books are so tricky in their writing that a second read may be required to fully appreciate the content.
Jreeve
Currently Reading: Girl, Alone
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jreeve.html
Latest Review: The Man Who Fell Too Far by Roger Corea.
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Jreeve »

I enjoy rereading because once I know the ending, I can pick up on little clues that were overlooked in prior readings. I also feel that at different times in my life, I can read different things in between the lines. I recently reread To Kill a Mockingbird, which I read 20ish years ago. I couldn't believe how much of it I had forgotten and felt like I was reading an entirely new book.

Sometimes when I reread, I am not as motivated to continue reading, when I don't pick up on enough new information, which is a downside to rereading.
Donna Walker
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vitality System
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-walker.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Donna Walker »

Ecaterina Raileanu wrote: 21 Feb 2023, 11:10 What do you think about re-reading the same book multiple times? I like sometimes to read again a book I used to love years ago, just to see if I still feel the same about it.
I love to reread my favourite books, and not just the feel-good ones. I've read "The Last Unicorn" about 20 times! I've read all of the Harry Potter series about five or six times, and I've just finished re-reading 1984 for the third time.

Ma Leonarda Castañares
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-leonarda-casta-ares.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Ma Leonarda Castañares »

Re-reading books is such a delightful way to challenge your perception
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Donna Walker
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vitality System
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-walker.html

Post by Donna Walker »

Ecaterina Raileanu wrote: 21 Feb 2023, 11:10 What do you think about re-reading the same book multiple times? I like sometimes to read again a book I used to love years ago, just to see if I still feel the same about it.
I do the same. I feel that there is always something that I missed on the first reading, especially if it was years ago. At the moment, I'm listening to all the classics on audible rather than re-reading them. This also offers a different perspective upon hearing the books narrated. 
Jack King
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Specter of the Past
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jack-king.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jack King »

I don't think there is any cons to it. Before signing up here I would often read books again as there is no cost in that! On occasion I wouldn't finish rereading a book, I'd get halfway through and be able to remember too much of the book that there was no enjoyment in reading it again currently.
We've longed to see the roses, but never felt the thorns
And bought our pretty crowns, but never paid the price
Find me in the river, find me there
Find me on my knees with my soul laid bare
Tamara Bengesai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamara-bengesai.html
Latest Review: Seeking... Finding... Healing... by Becky Lu Jackson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Tamara Bengesai »

I would usually reread books I have read before after some. It feels better the second time around as I get to understand some details I might have missed.
aradwart
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by aradwart »

I love re-reading because usually it makes me appreciate the book more. On the other hand, sometimes I re-read and am completely baffled as to why I liked the book in the first place and that can be kind of startling!
There are so many books I could re-read forever without getting sick of them (like Donna, I've re-read the Harry Potter series so many times and I've also re-read 1984 too many times to count and have felt I learned something new each time), but then there are some books that I loved so much on the first read that I am afraid to re-read them in case my opinion changes drastically.
I never usually re-read nonfiction.
Carlos Mata Saenz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

There are some books that I re read every so often, others that I have re read once and others that I will never read again. I agree with previous comments, there are no pro and cons, just if you feel that you want to re visit the story or not 😊
Maslina
Currently Reading: DentistryXposed
Bookshelf Size: 1035

Post by Maslina »

Love re-reading Classics in particular and always learn something. It's also like visiting with old friends. Absolutely no cons!
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Paul Link »

I dont like re-Reding
Lizzie Mustard
Favorite Book: The Moonstone
Currently Reading: Lessons in Chemistry
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizzie-mustard.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Lizzie Mustard »

I tend not to reread a book until several years after I've first read it. By then, I've forgotten what it was about, so it's like having a new book to read!
Jenni Schmitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Homecoming
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenni-schmitt.html
Latest Review: Nowhere to Hide by Jude Austin
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jenni Schmitt »

I always re-read books, if they're good. Usually I'll read a book a second time right away, then it will sit on a shelf for a while. Books I've re-read the most tend to come to bed with me.
Sameeha Ismail
Currently Reading: Jane Austen at Home
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sameeha-ismail.html

Post by Sameeha Ismail »

Jenni Schmitt wrote: 02 Oct 2023, 06:36 I always re-read books, if they're good. Usually I'll read a book a second time right away, then it will sit on a shelf for a while. Books I've re-read the most tend to come to bed with me.
Yes, I re-read books right away as well. The first time, I will rush through the pages to reach the end and soothe my curiosity, and the second time, I will go slowly, savoring every detail. 
One book, printed in the heart's own wax Is worth a thousand in the stacks.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”