What is the best book for a 15 year old boy to read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Gary Delfino
Bookshelf Size: 0

Dear jobsfor14

Post by Gary Delfino »

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:47 pm Post subject: I've got a great book for you to read

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conscience of a Dead Killer: Although the title suggests morbid death and carnage, there really is none. It hosts no adult situations or even profanity. It even has a happy ending.

The story: A killer's ghost is forced to go back in time and witness the lives of his victims with a conscience, until he meets an FBI agent who can see him where no one else can.

It can be found on Amazon or ordered through about a million other places.

This book is an easy read and only has 250 pages. I'm sure your 14 year old boy will love it

Gary
vanora

Post by vanora »

A lot of great reading ideas -- Harry Potter series, Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn, The Inheritance series by Christopher Paolini, A Wrinkle in Time. I'm not certain of your reading level, but a great beginning series would be The Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks. There are 4 books. Also, try The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton. And you may want to try The Dangerous Book for Boys by Conn & Hal Iggulden - different but fun!
sexybibliophile

Post by sexybibliophile »

Harry Potter's definitely a good place to start. The Lord of the Rings might be a bit overwhelming to begin with but are something you should definitely look into at some point. Stories by Ray Bradbury are also good. You might also like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The movie's ok but the book's way better. That would be another possibility for your first book.

Happy reading and I'm glad you're deciding to start getting involved with books! Too few people (young kids especially!) read anymore. I hope you find something you love.
MoreCowbell

Post by MoreCowbell »

The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys by Chris Fuhrman, who unfortunately died before his book was published
manoj

Post by manoj »

At this age we can read fiction or technical books. "Harry Potter" is good book to read at this age.
maryc

Post by maryc »

I have a couple of suggestions, too. If you have not read the Percy Jackson series (starting with The Lightening Thief) then these books are an easy, satisfying, adventurous read. Another series you might try is the Warrior Heir series (if that's what they are called). If you are not big on fantasy type books, you also might want to try A Hole in my Life - an autobiography. If you are a strong reader, you might want to consider World War Z. Its short vignette type chapters allow you to put down and pick up the novel whenever you want. Just some suggestions. Happy reading.
fredmeyiere

Post by fredmeyiere »

John Green's books are fantastic for teenage guys and girls. They're all told from a guys point of view though. He's written Paper Towns, An Abundance of Katherines, and Looking for Alaska. If you want to kind of see what he's like it might explain more about his style, he and his brother share a vlog called vlogbrothers.
fredmeyiere

Post by fredmeyiere »

oh! and i just read through the other replies in the forum. I think Green's books are a good place to start because 1 his books don't form a series 2 it's easy to read but written for intelligible teenagers, so there aren't too many words you won't know or a dialect that's harder to read. 3 it's fiction (if you ask me starting with nonfiction isn't the best if you want to ease into reading... they can turn you off of reading pretty fast.) Harry Potter books are also great!
I'd start with Paper Towns if I were you. It won't let me post links but if you type in Paper Towns Reading into google, the first two links will be vids one of him talking briefly about the book, the other of him reading the prologue to the book.
Let me know if you decide to read it and/or like it!
shanshaukat

Post by shanshaukat »

CHACTER BUILDING RELATING BOOK
kennyg

Post by kennyg »

It can be anything depending on what he likes. Personally I would recommend something related to science fiction, for example "Time Machine" by HG Wells
Last edited by kennyg on 01 Aug 2009, 20:07, edited 1 time in total.
pmaterial4

Post by pmaterial4 »

Please seriously consider reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. It just might change your male adolescent life. It's short. Give it a shot and you will be pleasantly surprised. Catcher in the Rye is good too, but that has been suggested to you already. And if all else fails (like if you realize Harry Potter and Twilight suck), go out and pick up your first Chuck Palahniuk book. You won't regret it.
sweetharleygirl

Post by sweetharleygirl »

Everything I was going to suggest has already been suggested, you should be able to find something out of these, if you still can't just go to the library and tell the librarian what you're looking for, we're great at finding good books for people who don't read much! :D
Tomy Chandrafrost
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

"Seven Habits" and Dale Carnegie's books can be a good start if you want to become a better adult.
wedwilson
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 38
fav_author_id: 2460
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 37%

Post by wedwilson »

In the Hall with the Knife: A Clue Mystery, Book One In the Hall With the Knife kicks off a mystery series for teens based on the venerable board game, Clue
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

I would like to post here to mention one of my favorite authors "Ruskin Bond". I loved his stories at that time, and I even enjoy reading them in my 30s now. I stay in India. :)
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”