What is the best book for a 15 year old boy to read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
jobsfor14
Bookshelf Size: 0

What is the best book for a 15 year old boy to read?

Post by jobsfor14 »

hi
i have never read a book before..
so i dont know which genre's are interesting

i want to start reading books

which book do you think i will enjoy reading??
is it a best-seller?
will it be available in a public library?
jtothero

Post by jtothero »

When I was about your age I read The Lord of the Rings trilogy. I would recommend that. Of course that was before they made the movies, if you've seen the movies it would spoil the story a little.

The Harry Potter series is supposed to be great and every book is supposedly a page turner. I've never read them, but I'm 22 and want to read them sometime.

Even a book on classical Mythology might be interesting if you're into that type of thing. I recommend Edith Hamilton's Mythology.

Or if you want to read a classic that isn't too challenging you could go for Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451. That would be a great starter book.
Last edited by jtothero on 06 Dec 2008, 17:51, edited 1 time in total.
sharon.gmc

Post by sharon.gmc »

Yes, I was also thinking of the Harry Potter. . . you can also try Catcher in the Rye. . it's like listening to your friend tell a story about a bad day in his life. . .
angeldemon

Post by angeldemon »

I suggest you start reading biographies.
tristanforsey

Post by tristanforsey »

Probably might not want to, but the Twilight series is really good.
I know it's a bit soppy, but if you don't want the typical Harry Potter then yeah it's a good read if you can get past all the lovey dovey stuff.
Both great series', on LOTR is also a great read just very "heavy".
John Marsden's "Tommorow When the War Began" series is good as well
Hope this helps
gekiranger

Post by gekiranger »

Read Lord of the Flies by William Golding,

or

The Gunslinger by Stephen King,

or

Animal Farm by George Orwell.

Farenheit 451 is also a pretty good book.

There are tons and tons of good books that aren't 'harry potter'/popular/twilight. I'd recommend reading those. Check out Steinbeck too - definitely Of Mice and Men
webmagnate

Post by webmagnate »

Start on the Harry Potter series. That's what got my 10 year old brother into reading. Now, he's exploring the classics.
Britannianhero4

Post by Britannianhero4 »

I would suggest The Holy Bible King James Version.

Also safety books too.
flashgordon

Post by flashgordon »

If they are an advanced reader, then "The Outsider" by Colin Wilson would be my recommendation.
Jason44

Post by Jason44 »

gekiranger wrote:Read Lord of the Flies by William Golding,

or

The Gunslinger by Stephen King,

or

Animal Farm by George Orwell.

Farenheit 451 is also a pretty good book.

There are tons and tons of good books that aren't 'harry potter'/popular/twilight. I'd recommend reading those. Check out Steinbeck too - definitely Of Mice and Men
Thats a great list, also another way is just to go to your local library and start opening books that look interesting, you will find stuff you like in no time trust me Image
theodora

Post by theodora »

I would recommend the Inheritance Trilogy by Christopher Paolini. They are a very popular fantasy trilogy. The first is Eragon, then Eldest, and the newest one is called Brisingr. Hope that helps =)
character_education

Post by character_education »

i suggest 2 books:

Val, Tyler, The Time Wreccas

Chris, Priestley, Redwulf's Curse

------------------------
Thanks,
Character Education
nlcd

Post by nlcd »

well!! it's your first time ,no? I recommend to you read "idhun memoirs", it's a nice book, have all!!or also you can read Before I Die, this extraordinary novel celebrates what it is to be alive by confronting what it's really like to die. the last book you can finds in ofertondelibros. com. bye!!!!
TenFootMidget

Post by TenFootMidget »

I agree that the Lord of the Rings trilogy would be good to read. I would recommend that you read the Hobbit first, though. It's easier reading and it gives you some backstory as to what you'll be reading in the trilogy. Also, I'm a big fan of Orwell. Try reading Animal Farm or 1984. Your safest bet, however, would be the Harry Potter books. I haven't met a person who doesn't like them. You can't go wrong with any of these books!
disrobius

Post by disrobius »

the 'power of five' series by anthony horowitz is worth a try. its aimed at slightly older readers than the alex rider, teenage spy series. its a series of five books but he's only up to number 4 so far (raven's gate, evil star, night rise & necropolis').

theyre about a group of 5 14 year olds (gate keepers)who are the only ones who can prevent the world being overtaken by an ancient evil, but they have to fine each other, & understand who they are, before they can do this. they're a mixture of horror, fantasy & action & fantastic reads.

or you could try 'the knife of never letting go' by patrick ness. it's about todd, the youngest inhabitant in a town of men, cursed by the fact that they can all hear one another's thoughts, all of the time. when he's out with his dog todd suddenly comes across a patch of silence & the book focuses on the outcomes of this discovery, & the fact that he must now run for his life. it's really fast-paced & gripping, but as it's rather new i don't know how readily available it'll be in libraries at the moment.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”