Have you ever found yourself blankly reading for a while?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
KBirr166
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kbirr166.html

Re: Have you ever found yourself blankly reading for a while

Post by KBirr166 »

I do this all the time! I will try so hard to focus but sometimes I get halfway down the page and realize I have no idea what I just read!
tortoise keeper
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tortoise-keeper.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Reading Device: B0192AFG7A

Post by tortoise keeper »

I have, especially if I'm reading something that I don't find particularly interesting. I will go through several pages and realize I have no idea what I just read.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Thaty
Currently Reading: Peter Pan
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Thaty »

It happened to me yesterday! For like ten minutes, I was going crazy because of that.
But usually it doesn't happen, just when the book begins to be boring or when I'm worried about something.
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

Yes, it happens to me especially if I'm not in the mood, but when it happens, I just stop and re-read everything I have missed.
marles
Favorite Author: Margaret George
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 7">Memoirs of Cleopatra</a>
Currently Reading: Anna Karennina
Bookshelf Size: 27
fav_author_id: 12655

Post by marles »

I usually do this when I'm not very interested in the book I'm reading. That's when I know to move on to something else. I used to power through books that I did not like, but my motto is now "life is too short to read books you don't like".
La Vie en Rose
Currently Reading: I, My Ancestor
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by La Vie en Rose »

marles wrote:I usually do this when I'm not very interested in the book I'm reading. That's when I know to move on to something else. I used to power through books that I did not like, but my motto is now "life is too short to read books you don't like".
What if it is a book you don't like, but has significance? I read 100 Years of Solitude and did not like it, but I finished reading it because I know it has worth.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Unfortunately this happens too often for me! I find if I am stressed and my mind is running, or if I'm exhausted from a long day or long week, or if I'm simply not that enthralled by what I'm reading, I can go pages of reading blankly. Usually this is a sign for me to call it quits for the night or to move on to a different book!
marles
Favorite Author: Margaret George
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 7">Memoirs of Cleopatra</a>
Currently Reading: Anna Karennina
Bookshelf Size: 27
fav_author_id: 12655

Post by marles »

La Vie en Rose wrote:
marles wrote:I usually do this when I'm not very interested in the book I'm reading. That's when I know to move on to something else. I used to power through books that I did not like, but my motto is now "life is too short to read books you don't like".
What if it is a book you don't like, but has significance? I read 100 Years of Solitude and did not like it, but I finished reading it because I know it has worth.
I try, but if it just cant hold my interest, I don't bother anymore. I used to power through them when I was younger, but I finally came to the realization, that to me reading is supposed to be enjoyable, not a chore.
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

Yes I have done that. Most of the time it is a sign of which I am ready to go to sleep.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
easy_dc13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-easy-dc13.html
Latest Review: A Trace of Revenge by Lyle Howard

Post by easy_dc13 »

If I ever zone out, it's because my brain is juiced or the book hasn't commanded my attention. Those are the only reasons I could think of for this kind of thing. It does happen from time to time.
Ashley 1820
Currently Reading: Rebecca
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-1820.html

Post by Ashley 1820 »

It happens. I get lost in somewhere else!
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

Yes! I find myself doing this if there is too much distraction around me or if the book is becoming boring. This is the exact reason why I do not think I could do audiobooks. The reader would be halfway through the chapter before I realize I wasn't listening.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
DiverseSpirit
Currently Reading: Last Train to Istanbul
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diversespirit.html

Post by DiverseSpirit »

I tended to blankly read when I was in elementary school. I guess I felt pressured with large amounts of reading that my mind wanted to focus on other things. I was so annoyed at returning to previous pages and reviewing what I just 'read' or finding anything on the pages for recollection.

Now, my mind is more disciplined to stay focused on reading. After the many expensive textbooks throughout college, it allowed me to work on my focus to actually read. If I were to remember the last time I blankly read, it would be in high school, which was 5 to 9 years ago.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

This has definitely happened to me. This usually happens when I have way too much on my mind to be properly concentrating on what I'm reading. Fortunately, I snap out of it fairly quickly and can convince myself to "read properly".
shish_by_design
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66">Strong Heart</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shish-by-design.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by shish_by_design »

It has happened to me for sometime too.I go on for a couple of sentences or paragraphs before I notice it. I always go back to where I started zoning off and try harder concentrating or I leave the book for a while and finish some chores first before I return to finish the book. I find the latter much more productive cause the mind is already rested

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”