Which: hard book or e-book version?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
likethestate
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Which: hard book or e-book version?

Post by likethestate »

There is nothing like opening a real book. And if it is a book I am likely to read again or is anything other than guilty pleasure reading, I still always get the real book. But, I like always having a stock of guilty pleasure reading on my ipad and phone for when I'm out of the house and need something quick to ready while waiting (or, if I'm totally embarrassed by the book :) ).
ranea89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ranea89.html

Post by ranea89 »

At first I hated the idea of an e-book but I got a kindle fire and I am amazed at all the things I can do. I love having all my books in one place where I can access them with a click of a button instead of having to find space in my home to store them all and keep my 3 year old away from them. I will never go back to hard or paper back books.
jennifeer_1990
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Favorite Book: My best friends girl
Currently Reading: Anne Frank
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by jennifeer_1990 »

I prefer hard books, being able to hold them in my hands and turn the pages, if i want to stare at a screen then i just turn on the television.
MandiKenendy
Favorite Book: Too many to list
Currently Reading: Dance with Dragons Part 1

Post by MandiKenendy »

I'm coming around to e-books. I love paper books as I like to keep them and see books around the house but the more I think about the environment the more it makes sense that e-books are the way forward.
You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body. - C.S. Lewis
hazelk

Post by hazelk »

I use only paper books, I am a senior reader and have no desire to go E, if the day comes when I am unable to read the written word I shall definitely go Audio.
A great joy for me is to admire my great collection of books in my bookcase.
rekha123

Post by rekha123 »

Ebook!
frizzy_lizzy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frizzy-lizzy.html

Post by frizzy_lizzy »

Real, touch-and-feel, put-on-your-shelf books. I think it has something to do with my semi-hoarder personality. :P Also, hope no one judges, but I like the way books smell. My parents always had loads of used books around, so I think it may be a nostalgia thing.
Heather
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Favorite Book: Outlander series
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heather.html
Latest Review: "Differences" by Cristina Monro
fav_author_id: 2373

Post by Heather »

I want the real book. I want to hold it in my hands and turn the pages. I want to be able to look at my bookshelves and see them. I'd choose the real, hard copy every time.
Latest Review: "Differences" by Cristina Monro
CatGitane
Favorite Author: Lewis Carroll
Favorite Book: Alice in Wonderland
Currently Reading: The 5th Wave
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catgitane.html
Latest Review: "Witches" by Mark Taylor
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3309

Post by CatGitane »

I'll go down with the hard book version!

I love to feel the paper on my fingers and be able to sniff it before reading and then from times to times, mostly when I have a surge of affection for the book or when I'm pondering over what just happened in it.

The e-book version is good on vacation, trips and quick reading.
Latest Review: "Witches" by Mark Taylor
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

I live outside of the country for most of the year so for me, the e-readers are a Godsend. I read books very fast and this way, I have a limitless supply. Although for my favorites, I do end up buying them in hardcover. I like to actually "have" them. :D

~Paliden
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
buddyroo
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buddyroo.html
Latest Review: "Planetary Assault" by David VanDyke, Vaughn Heppner, BV Larson

Post by buddyroo »

I like my classics in hard copies and modern books on ebook (I have additional ebook copies of the classics of course). I find I read faster on my e-reader and I enjoy it more because I don't have to lug it around everywhere. It fits in my purse and is light and if I don't know what a word means, I can look it up right there on the reader without having to find a reference book. I find I like reading more with it.
Latest Review: "Planetary Assault" by David VanDyke, Vaughn Heppner, BV Larson
Enomis225
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enomis225.html

Post by Enomis225 »

Hard books for sure. There's just something about holding a good book in your hand that is lost when reading ebooks. Also having books sitting around on bookshelves make a house feel more like a home. Also, it is easier to share the book with someone else when it is in its classic form :D
cunninghame

Post by cunninghame »

i love the feel of real books and being able to dog ear the pages. however, for traveling etc, the ebooks are just so much more convenient! the only issue i have with ebooks is that you have to purchase them, yet they can be taken away by your provider for any number of reasons, which I don't believe is fair. If you buy the ebook it shoudl be yours to do with as you would an actual book, not be subject to the decisions of your provider.
Anandi Iyer Ghosh
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anandi-iyer-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Anandi Iyer Ghosh »

Hard book definitely but I now I have a book reader and mostly use it to read books. But I still miss hard books.
Jon-Ross
Currently Reading: The Lord of the Rings and World War Z
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jon-ross.html

Post by Jon-Ross »

I prefer having a paperback copy of a book, just because it is a physical thing that I can display. I have never purchased an e-book, but the thought of purchasing would be strange.
Although, owning an e-book does have an advantage. I love reading on car trips or train trips, so an e-book might be a good choice so I don't have to worry about a paperback getting damaged.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”