Cover Art Discussion

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Re: Cover Art Discussion

Post by CrescentMoon »

I like all sort of covers. I think it depends on the genre of the book whether or not I like people on them or not. One book called Premonitions by Jude Watson has just a picture of an eye on the cover, and I actually like it that way because the main character is psychic so the cover is actually highly relevant to the plot. The covers that I really like and think are cool are black and white covers that have maybe one object in color to make it stand out. I think those are very attention grabbing and intriguing.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by sevencrows »

moderntimes wrote: 22 Oct 2015, 22:15 Since the books are set in Houston, images of the skyline will also attract local readers. Let's face it --- the purpose of a book cover is to catch the eye of the browsing reader, and these covers should do just that.

Now if the insides can live up to the whole package? Let's blame the author, okay? ha ha
When the spines of books line up and create an image, I feel irrationally happy.
Amy Murdoch Coleman
Favorite Book: Circe
Currently Reading: Hannah's War
Bookshelf Size: 6988
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-murdoch-coleman.html
Latest Review: Caretaker by George Farrell

Post by Amy Murdoch Coleman »

I'm more drawn to covers that don't feature people. When I'm reading, I like to create my own image of the character rather than conforming to an artist's view.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

I always judge the book by its cover so the cover art must be really appealing to me. Aristotle and Dante discover the secrets of the universe has my favorite cover.
Bri C
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bri-c.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov

Post by Bri C »

I prefer not to notice the cover at all. I find my eyes mostly slide across professional-looking covers, and it's primarily amateur or unappealing covers that catch my eye and turn me off a book. If a high schooler with GIMP could make a better cover, it's not a good sign for the inside, sadly.
AlexisLib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexislib.html
Latest Review: The Girl Behind the Wall--Edgar Allan Poe, the Girl, and the Mysterious Raven Murders by Bruce Wetterau

Post by AlexisLib »

I have really noticed how much the cover makes a difference to me in whether or not I am interested in finding out more about the book. I am seeing so many self-published or ebook-only books that have absolutely boring and amateurish covers, like just a color and some lines, which doesn't tell you anything about the content, or old-fashioned, vintage-looking art (which can work if the book is nostalgic, otherwise it just looks like a book from the 50s). I understand paying a graphic designer can be expensive, but it is so worth it in the long run in terms of getting readers interested in a book! I wish I could tell this to all the authors on this site!
AlexisLib
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: The Girl Behind the Wall--Edgar Allan Poe, the Girl, and the Mysterious Raven Murders by Bruce Wetterau

Post by AlexisLib »

Gravy wrote: 17 Dec 2015, 03:47
Graverobber wrote:Image
Next in the seriesImage

Looks (and sounds) very promising :D
And it fits perfectly with the first!
Wow! Because of this post I just discovered this author, and it looks like many of her books will be intriguing to me! Not sure how I missed her; thank you very much!
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

AlexisLib wrote: 17 Jun 2020, 19:06
Graverobber wrote:Image
Next in the seriesImage

Wow! Because of this post I just discovered this author, and it looks like many of her books will be intriguing to me! Not sure how I missed her; thank you very much!

Awesome! 8)
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
AlexisLib
Currently Reading:

Post by AlexisLib »

Gravy wrote: 20 Jun 2020, 21:55

Next in the seriesImage

Awesome! 8)
I love the quote at the bottom of your posts; that's another author I had never heard of until now also!
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

AlexisLib wrote: 22 Jun 2020, 00:22

Awesome! 8)
I love the quote at the bottom of your posts; that's another author I had never heard of until now also!
Also awesome. 8)

I love her writing. Consider her books officially recommended. :lol:

AlexisLib
Currently Reading:

Post by AlexisLib »

Gravy wrote: 26 Jun 2020, 21:25

Awesome! 8)
Also awesome. 8)

I started reading Alice this week and have less than 100 pages left. It's hard to put down! I love it and am amazed at how inventive it is. And dark. Oh so dark.
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

AlexisLib wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 22:11
Gravy wrote: 26 Jun 2020, 21:25

Also awesome. 8)

I started reading Alice this week and have less than 100 pages left. It's hard to put down! I love it and am amazed at how inventive it is. And dark. Oh so dark.
I love Hatcher with my dark little heart. :lol:

car-mbz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-car-mbz.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by car-mbz »

I love cover arts that give an idea of what the book is about. I prefer cover arts with illustrations but not with real people. I also prefer a cover art that is detailed.
"Today a reader, tomorrow a leader." Margaret Fuller
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Faatimah Noormahomed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faatimah-noormahomed.html
Latest Review: Karrana by Anne Skyvington
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Faatimah Noormahomed »

I love illustrated book covers! Especially when there's something on the cover that is significant in the story; it makes me appreciate it so much more after I read the book.

One thing I absolutely hate on book covers is people. Especially when it's like a shirtless man or something like that. Like no. No one wants to see that :lol:
human reader
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by human reader »

If you look up covers for When The Moon Split about Prophet Muhammad, those are good examples to me of minimalist covers. The simple imagery of the moon being cut in half works well and is memorable.

Sometimes a cover is too minimalistic or generic feeling which can make me less likely to consider the book. Every person is different though.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”