Cover Art Discussion

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
FoxyReader1988
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19054">The Giver</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-foxyreader1988.html

Re: Cover Art Discussion

Post by FoxyReader1988 »

I think the cover art should depict something special to the author about the story. The cover should be eye catching and invite the reader to open the book.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Correct on the cover art, Foxy. For my book cover, the outline of Houston's skyline did the job.

It's important, I think, that the browsing bookstore reader be briefly captured with the imagery and stop for a moment to ponder "Hmm" at the minimum. That's the ultimate purpose of a book cover -- to catch the eye.

Per Jabberwocky, I've always wanted to know more about the Frumious Bandersnatch (I think that's it -- too lazy to look it up).
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
CzechTigg
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

Post by CzechTigg »

I always found 'never judge a book by its cover' to be a wishy washy proverb. Business and marketing are always important too.
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Well, the proverb is of course not related to books in fact, but about misjudging people, which of course you know.

Much as many idealist writers want to think otherwise, writing for publication is also a business and it therefore involves advertising and all the hardcore aspects of selling a product.
CzechTigg

Post by CzechTigg »

I know. Just often find that proverb entering my decision making when just browsing. Some things just hang in my subconscious.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I think a good measure of how well a cover fits a book is if you can guess what the book is about without the title or author to clue you in. How do you think this one measures up?

Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
CzechTigg

Post by CzechTigg »

Makes me think of the comic strip tv series 'arrow'.
B3cca 3ll3r
Favorite Author: Jacob Abbott
Currently Reading: Ivy and Pepper
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b3cca-3ll3r.html
Latest Review: "Around the world adventures of Max & Jack FRANCE" by Emily F Overton
fav_author_id: 21085

Post by B3cca 3ll3r »

It just so happens that my favorite artist also did a book cover! The cover done for "Barbie: the big splash" by Tom Tierney. I love Tierney's pictures, he mostly did paper dolls. I fell in love with his work when I was 4 and I never stopped. It probably helped that his book is how I taught me how to read. I may be prejudiced but that's my favorite!
"We read to know we are not alone." ~ C.S. Lewis
Latest Review: "Around the world adventures of Max & Jack FRANCE" by Emily F Overton
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Graverobber wrote:I think a good measure of how well a cover fits a book is if you can guess what the book is about without the title or author to clue you in. How do you think this one measures up?

Not at all well. If you delete the title and all other words, you've just got a sullen guy in a hoodie and what might resemble a bow. With no other info you really don't even know the time period let alone the principal character, and zero info as to it being Robin Hood.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

That's weird. I can reasonably guess the genre, sub-genre, and have a vague idea of even more :eusa-think:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

Graverobber wrote:That's weird. I can reasonably guess the genre, sub-genre, and have a vague idea of even more :eusa-think:
Agreed :wink:
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
B3cca 3ll3r
Favorite Author: Jacob Abbott
Currently Reading: Ivy and Pepper
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b3cca-3ll3r.html
fav_author_id: 21085

Post by B3cca 3ll3r »

Moderntimes you made me laugh really hard with the "sullen guy in a hoodie" comment! You are a funny guy. In that picture, weather or not he is Robbin Hood, he does look super grumpy!
"We read to know we are not alone." ~ C.S. Lewis
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Graverobber wrote:That's weird. I can reasonably guess the genre, sub-genre, and have a vague idea of even more :eusa-think:
Well, take away all the text. Now look at the picture. There's a bow but it might be from some fantasy world like Middle Earth. There's zero indication it's medieval era in our own timeline. And they guy could be a prince or soldier of fortune or thief or bow-for-hire or maybe a modern day adventurer.

So for me, yeah, I MIGHT think Robin Hood but he's NOT wearing forest green as we're told that he wore for camouflage. An all-black outfit is gonna stand out like a sore thumb in the forest, right? So the very non-use of the green hoodie would tell me that it's not RH at all but some other adventurer. And the bow only indicates a less-than-modern compound bow but has no indication or the historical era. In fact the bowstring is not typical of the Robin Hood era at all. It's more modern than that. (I know a little about archery, enough to discern the type of bow and fixings.)

So I'd actually be led AWAY from thinking it's old Robin and instead a fantasy warrior from a pure fantasy and non-historical story line.

And yeah, he IS sullen. But sullen because he's dispossessed per Robin Hood or angry at some supernatural or fantasy critter, that's unknown.
BisMyG
Currently Reading: Nyxe
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bismyg.html

Post by BisMyG »

I like all types of cover art. I think it depends on the book. For action or in the future I like people on the cover or a cool design with font that goes with the theme. I also like it leather bound if it supposed to be historical. In general I like the cover to go with the book's genre.
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

This is critical, that the cover art reflects the book's genre and mood -- look at the cover artwork which my publisher sent me, which I quickly approved.

Per the title, my book's title was deleted from the image so that I won't break forum rules for self-promotion. But the title is set in bold and crooked characters, shoved together as if in haste, with further implies the dark mood and hints of violence and bad stuff about to happen.

Those interested may PM me and I'll give you my website which will give the full image of the cover. Everyone I've shown the book to likes the cover artwork.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”