Reading more than one book at a time

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
hayisa
Currently Reading: Get a Financial Life
Bookshelf Size: 70

Re: Reading more than one book at a time

Post by hayisa »

I've always done this because I want to read different genres at once.
sayoniwrites
Currently Reading: The Scarlet Letter
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sayoniwrites.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by sayoniwrites »

If it's a non-fiction that requires a lot of time and energy, I will pick up a simple fiction to go with it. Or else I will get bored or bogged down by the dry nature of long informative non-fiction. Or else, I read one book at a time.
stylesreview
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stylesreview.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by stylesreview »

I used to do this: juggle three or four books. Until I found out I wasn't enjoying the books as much as I thought I was. And I also couldn't remember the storylines clearly. These days I just stick to one book at a time.
LS Daniyal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ls-daniyal.html

Post by LS Daniyal »

If I am reading for fun, then no, I don't read more than one book at a time, because I don't want to get confused and I also want to fully immerse myself in the book.
But books for studying, then even 10 at a time. I mean all students go through this.
Today's me is better than yesterday's me.
ErisDecember
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erisdecember.html
Latest Review: Your Father Has Something to Tell You by Dave Riese

Post by ErisDecember »

I do it all the time, too! I sort of have organized all my books into different "reading lists", which translates into me reading more than one book at the same time. Usually, I read one on my Kobo, one I borrowed at the library, one from my bookshelf at home and then I have room for another random one. It can however be hard to keep track of everything sometimes. There's also the forever forgotten ones that I've sort of started but just never got around to finishing.
Cheryl Erickson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

I usually have more than one book going at a time. It depends on my mood.
Arianne Joy Melendres
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arianne-joy-melendres.html
Latest Review: The graveyard and other poems by Mae Bea Sayes

Post by Arianne Joy Melendres »

I LOVE reading multiple books at once ! I used to just stick to one book as well, in fear that I would forget about the others. However, I found that reading multiple ones actually even helped me with enjoying the reads because I could get back to them whenever I actually wanted to versus the feeling of obligation that I got when I forced myself to read just one at a time.
Kayla Archer
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla-archer.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Kayla Archer »

I heard somewhere that reading more than one book at a time is good for your brain because it makes it adjust to the different styles. That's one reason I like to read more than one at a time. I also like to switch depending on my feeling / mood that day.
Christine Tamuno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-tamuno.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Christine Tamuno »

Yes I have found my self reading way more than one book at a time. I do it for school too 😂
Michael Villanueva
Currently Reading: Price Wars
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-villanueva.html
Latest Review: Bambara by Joseph Eidelberg
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Michael Villanueva »

I read multiple books at a time because it keeps up my motivation. If I'm reading for a few hours in an evening, I start to slow down if I'm reading the same book. However, if I read a few chapters of a book, then switch books, it's like getting a second wind.

I think this best compared to when people used to watch sitcoms in the evening. People didn't used to binge watch one show for hours, they would watch a few shows that would keep their attention through the evening. Most of time from what I've seen, whenever someone (myself included) binges a show, its to have something in the background or for some to fall asleep, not to actually watch the show with their full attention.
Charlienmegan Wehner
Currently Reading: Finding Joy with an Invisible Chronic Illness
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlienmegan-wehner.html
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King

Post by Charlienmegan Wehner »

I used to find myself reading multiple books at a time. However, when I have a book I am reviewing, I will focus just on that book so I can stay in the zone with the story.
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King
Betelhem Demsie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-betelhem-demsie.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Betelhem Demsie »

That's what I always find myself doing without even realizing. I start one here and another there. May I call this behavior 'book mixing syndrome'?
Henry Patrovic
Favorite Book: A Touch of Power
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henry-patrovic.html

Post by Henry Patrovic »

I am currently reading 10 books at a time. A lot of my friends say that it’s weird, but I find it great since when I’m not in the mood for a certain genre, I just skip to another book.
Jay Peter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-peter.html
Latest Review: Champagne Widows by Rebecca Rosenberg

Post by Jay Peter »

Im sticking to one book from now on. Its too hard to decide which one to go back to, I would probably never finish any one of them. Im going to finish Haunted House Stories, I should finish it today and go to one I found the other day, a new bio of Alexander The Great.
z3ro
Currently Reading: Binge
Bookshelf Size: 89

Post by z3ro »

Oh, I'm ALWAYS reading multiple books simultaneously. It just always seems to happen that way. I'll get my fill of reading one, but still want to read SOMETHING, so I'll pick up another... I usually don't have trouble keeping the details separate, probably because I read such different genres at a time. In my book club we'll be reading a romance, in my preferred time I'll be going through a memoir or some devotional style book, etc. But yes - it seems I'm always in the middle of half a dozen books!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”