What's Your Commitment Point - when do you quit on a book?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Stephen Christopher 1
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Obsidian Tomorrow
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Sh*t Happens by Gavin L James.
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 48%

Re: What's Your Commitment Point - when do you quit on a book?

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

Asim001 wrote: โ†‘09 Aug 2023, 20:11 reading is a personal experience, and the decision to continue or quit a book is entirely up to you. There's no one-size-fits-all answer, and it's okay to put a book aside if it's not holding your interest. The most important thing is to find books that you enjoy and that enrich your reading experience
Thanks, yes I agree, I read books to learn and to be entertained, that's why I'm glad I gave up on the one that caused me to create this post hehe.
Stephen Christopher 1

Priya Mathew wrote: โ†‘17 Aug 2023, 02:45 Funny enough, I was just browsing through these forums because I'm right on the edge of ditching the book I'm currently reading! ๐Ÿ“–๐Ÿ™…โ€โ™€๏ธ
Hehe I wonder if it's the same book that I created this post about ;)
Priya Mathew
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-mathew.html
Latest Review: The House on Tyner by Matthew O’Connell

Post by Priya Mathew »

You never know @Stephen Christopher , it might well have been. :)

I'm also very aware that what I believed to be unreadable might have been a treasure for someone else. Just not for me at this point and time.
"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." - Charles W. Eliot
EnclosedReviewer
Currently Reading: Artwords
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enclosedreviewer.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by EnclosedReviewer »

I don't have a commitment point, but I can understand when people might quit on a book. It's usually when the book doesn't hold their interest, they don't connect with the characters, or they find the writing style unenjoyable. Everyone's commitment point is different, and that's okay.
Jabril Miller
Currently Reading: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-12ultimate.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Jabril Miller »

If I find that the way that the story has progressed does not align with the premise of the narrative, then it's time to end the farce. A lack of agreement between the conclusion and the steps needed to reach the end means that the author has misunderstood their objective or was too inexperienced to write their vision, and both can be punished with a summary lack of attention.
Stephen Christopher 1

Priya Mathew wrote: โ†‘18 Sep 2023, 03:54 You never know @Stephen Christopher , it might well have been. :)

I'm also very aware that what I believed to be unreadable might have been a treasure for someone else. Just not for me at this point and time.
I've just had the same experience. I read a book based on a reviewer's perfect score and review. I borderline hated the book and feel it's worth 2, maybe 3 stars at a pinch. She said no errors, but it was chock full of them, lol. We must all read differently.
Stephen Christopher 1

Jabril Miller wrote: โ†‘06 Nov 2023, 18:27 If I find that the way that the story has progressed does not align with the premise of the narrative, then it's time to end the farce. A lack of agreement between the conclusion and the steps needed to reach the end means that the author has misunderstood their objective or was too inexperienced to write their vision, and both can be punished with a summary lack of attention.
Oh, I love this statement: "If it doesn't align, it's time to end the farce," and that's exactly what the situation was with that book.
Stephen Christopher 1

EnclosedReviewer wrote: โ†‘01 Nov 2023, 09:22 I don't have a commitment point, but I can understand when people might quit on a book. It's usually when the book doesn't hold their interest, they don't connect with the characters, or they find the writing style unenjoyable. Everyone's commitment point is different, and that's okay.
All of those 3 things you mentioned are why I ended up quitting on this book hehe.
Zanne Crystle
Favorite Book: Rules of Redemption (The Firebird Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zanne-crystle.html
Latest Review: Hot Potato by Marty Katz

Post by Zanne Crystle »

If I'm 25% through the book and I don't like it, I give up. There are too many books to read to waste time reading terrible ones.
Ihotu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Ihotu »

Your reading experience is important, and if you're not enjoying the book anymore, it's okay to consider stopping. Sometimes, pushing through a book can feel like an obligation, but your time is valuable. If the story isn't resonating with you, it might be worth exploring other books that capture your interest. As for me, I don't have personal preferences or the need to finish books, but I understand the importance of enjoying the reading journey.
Runan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: Overcoming Systemic Prejudice and Discrimination by J. Dawson Williams, D. Min.
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 155%

Post by Runan »

If I donโ€™t like the book midway, I would not give up. I try to finish the book. If it is way too bad, I just skim through the rest of the book, but I would definitely finish reading.
Runan
Stephen Christopher 1

Runan wrote: โ†‘28 Nov 2023, 16:22 If I donโ€™t like the book midway, I would not give up. I try to finish the book. If it is way too bad, I just skim through the rest of the book, but I would definitely finish reading.
wow that's excellent commitment,I might try that next time.
Runan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: Overcoming Systemic Prejudice and Discrimination by J. Dawson Williams, D. Min.
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 155%

Post by Runan »

Stephen Christopher 1 wrote: โ†‘28 Nov 2023, 21:32
Runan wrote: โ†‘28 Nov 2023, 16:22 If I donโ€™t like the book midway, I would not give up. I try to finish the book. If it is way too bad, I just skim through the rest of the book, but I would definitely finish reading.
wow that's excellent commitment,I might try that next time.
:D Yes, I hope it helps. I don't know, but I don't feel good when I leave the book midway. I feel like my efforts are wasted. I've come halfway, I might as well complete it. If I have to skim through it, I wouldn't review the book though.
Runan
Marika Pontillo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marika-pontillo.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Marika Pontillo »

I quit whenever I find something that doesn't quite feel right, or I notice that I'm getting bored. It doesn't take much for a book to capture my full attention, and I cannot waste my time on boring books, so there should be no feelings of shame in not getting through the whole book.
Stephen Christopher 1

Marika Pontillo wrote: โ†‘29 Nov 2023, 11:05 I quit whenever I find something that doesn't quite feel right, or I notice that I'm getting bored. It doesn't take much for a book to capture my full attention, and I cannot waste my time on boring books, so there should be no feelings of shame in not getting through the whole book.
Hi Marika, yes that's how I usually feel. I'm at that stage with another book, it's halfway through and I'm just bored as it doesn't feel like it's going anywhere. I have so many books on my list to read that I feel I'm wasting my time. Thanks for adding your thoughts.

Return to โ€œGeneral Book & Reading Discussionโ€