What's Your Commitment Point - when do you quit on a book?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Stephen Christopher 1
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Snow That Never Fell
Bookshelf Size: 139
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Photofinish by Cheryl Kerr
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 52%

Re: What's Your Commitment Point - when do you quit on a book?

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

The Keeper Jr wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 23:51 I would stop reading if the book doesn't capture my interest by the first few pages or chapters ( same as Kaylyn ). Sometimes I end up with some book expecting to be fun and interesting but then it turns out to be the opposite, so I can't continue reading that. It feels really tiring to keep on reading something that isn't of my interest.
Spot on, and that's exactly what happenned to me. Once you lose interest in the story, there really is no point continuing.
Julie Basil
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Currently Reading: Launchpad Republic
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-basil.html
Latest Review: Voices from a Forgotten Letter by Seif-Eldeine
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Julie Basil »

I have definitely finished a book just for the sake of finishing it in the past, but I have grown more willing to DNF books as I have grown older and have more priorities vying for my time. If I am starting to lost interest in a book I will usually keep reading for one more chapter to see if there is any improvement and if I am still losing interest I will stop there.
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what's essential is invisible to the eye." ~ Antoine St. Exupery
Seetha E
Currently Reading: The prodigy slave
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seetha-e.html
Latest Review: The Attenuating Puritan by Robert McGuiness

Post by Seetha E »

Stephen Christopher 1 wrote: 01 Aug 2023, 21:43
Seetha E wrote: 28 Jul 2023, 23:35 I

What is the tipping point for you, when would you stop flipping the pages? I recently read a book (won't name the book). I had to look up the dictionary too often but the subject was interesting, so I finished it. It was a shame that such an interesting and pertinent subject may get dismissed just because of the sophisticated vocabulary.
In this case, it was the plot. The book took off in a totally unexpected direction, but it was a topic that was very difficult to read about, and it made me almost feel ill. That was the end for me. I read to enjoy, not to be made sick hehe.
When the plot deviates from the topic, that is undoubtedly upsetting. But if it's making the reader unwell, you simply ought to quit. I agree with you.
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

If i don`t enjoy the book by chapter 5 i quit the book.
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
Stephen Christopher 1

Julie Basil wrote: 01 Aug 2023, 22:43 I have definitely finished a book just for the sake of finishing it in the past, but I have grown more willing to DNF books as I have grown older and have more priorities vying for my time. If I am starting to lost interest in a book I will usually keep reading for one more chapter to see if there is any improvement and if I am still losing interest I will stop there.
wow that's a really smart suggestion, one more chapter and then call quits if it doesn't improve. I'm going to apply that rule in the future, thank you.
Stephen Christopher 1

Jolyon Trevelyan wrote: 02 Aug 2023, 16:56 If I don`t enjoy the book by chapter 5 I quit the book.
that's a great commitment point right there, give it X number of chapters and then decide. I like that!
Nimra Kiran
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimra-kiran.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Nimra Kiran »

Yes, I also lose interest in a book when it sways away from the main plot. Unnecessary details, useless dialogues which have nothing to do with rhe story and sometimes the characters themselves are too confusing, they seem week in a sense that their development along with the plot is so confusing which means they are not well written.

Another thing that loses my interest is the most "perfect" protagonists. Like, why? Being a protagonist doesn't mean you are not prone to weaknesses and making bad decisions or even you're not average looking or in terms of money and bank balance, you may not be wealthy and extravagant.

My commitment to a book depends upon sticking to the main story without useless details and that protagonist thing. Thats all I ask for!
"A bear knows seven songs and they are all about honey."
Asim001
Currently Reading: First Survivor
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asim001.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Asim001 »

reading is a personal experience, and the decision to continue or quit a book is entirely up to you. There's no one-size-fits-all answer, and it's okay to put a book aside if it's not holding your interest. The most important thing is to find books that you enjoy and that enrich your reading experience
human reader
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by human reader »

Depends on how long it takes for me to realize it's not what I expected or just not for me. The last book was two chapters, but they were unusually long chapters, at least the length of four standard chapters.
Priya Mathew
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-mathew.html
Latest Review: Champagne Widows by Rebecca Rosenberg

Post by Priya Mathew »

Isn't it incredibly exasperating? It's like everyone else had a blast with the book, or could it be that the positive feedback is just on an endless loop, becoming all we notice? It's great that you found that breaking point for putting down a book. For me personally, I usually give a book a couple of chapters. If I can't envision delving deeper or immersing myself in the scenes, I'd throw in the towel and move on to the next read. With so many books out there, it's not worth trying to force a connection with something that doesn't resonate, right? Funny enough, I was just browsing through these forums because I'm right on the edge of ditching the book I'm currently reading! 📖🙅‍♀️
"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." - Charles W. Eliot
anninjeri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anninjeri.html
Latest Review: life.............connected by jacksel

Post by anninjeri »

If I am between 70 to 90 pages into the book and I still can't understand the storyline, characters and generally just what's going on, I quit reading it.
Susann Heidy Castro Garnica
Currently Reading: Angel of Death
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susann-heidy-castro-garnica.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Post by Susann Heidy Castro Garnica »

Through Beta Reading, I've learned to establish solid boundaries, so if a plot crosses that boundary, I quit; I will not subject myself to read books that include:
- Abuse (physical and emotional)
- Cruelty (to humans, animals and plants)
- Horror, Erotica, and
- Hate speech (white supremacy propaganda, racism, anti-Semitism, etc.)
Susan Ledezma
Favorite Book: House of Hollow
Currently Reading: The Warrior's Curse
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-ledezma.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
2024 Reading Goal: 125
2024 Goal Completion: 32%

Post by Susan Ledezma »

I usually won't quit on a book once I start it and get past the first chapter, but if it's part of a series and I absolutely hated the first book I won't continue the series.
“Great books help you understand, and they help you feel understood.” -John Green :techie-studyinggray:
Sasikala gupta
Currently Reading: The Temple Of Truth And Lies
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sasikala-gupta.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Sasikala gupta »

Reading a book should be both fun and relaxing. If I get any book that feels like a chore then it's goodbye from me...
Reading is like opening a door to another world :techie-studyinggray: :techie-reference:
Stephen Christopher 1

Nimra Kiran wrote: 08 Aug 2023, 02:47
Another thing that loses my interest is the most "perfect" protagonists. Like, why? Being a protagonist doesn't mean you are not prone to weaknesses and making bad decisions or even you're not average looking or in terms of money and bank balance, you may not be wealthy and extravagant.
Yes! I reviewed a book where not only the protagonist but every other major character was flawless; they all went to the best schools, were handsome or beautiful, muscular or athletic, and had zero negative traits. I actually mentioned it in my review. By book 2 in the series, suddenly, everyone had flaws.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”