Have You Converted to Audio Books Yet?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
alwaysdaddygirl
Currently Reading: The Alienation of Courtney Hoffman
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysdaddygirl.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01DAJTINW

Re: Have You Converted to Audio Books Yet?

Post by alwaysdaddygirl »

Aloha,

I considered audiobooks as books you read. Yes, you listen. It a story. I been on the audiobooks trains for a long time. I still have a few audio books on tapes, and dvd.

Blessings?
"Death ends a life, not a relationship."
Mitch Albom
🦋
Terily
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-terily.html

Post by Terily »

Yes, I've converted to Audible as well although I don't care for female voices in a book mainly involving men.
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

In the 90s, I used to borrow cassette tape audio books from the library. I would sit in Los Angeles traffic for hours getting to work and college classes, so that was my time to get through any required reading for my English class. I rather sit with a book in hand. It's still hard for me to sit with E-books, but I do it if there is not a hard copy option. I thought about giving audio books a try, but I wouldn't know when I would be in the mood to use it. When I am doing chores, I usually enjoy listening to music.
Soccermom5375
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Soccermom5375 »

Just started audiobooks and I love them
wagthefox
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by wagthefox »

I started reviewing Audible audiobooks a couple years ago, just on a lark really after I won a coupon code for one. It has taken some getting used to, as I can get distracted from the flow of the story if I don't give it my full attention, which is hard while working around the house or whatnot.
jlow1325
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by jlow1325 »

I wish I could enjoy audiobooks, but I cannot stay focused on the reader.
Makht73
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-makht73.html
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Makht73 »

I never thought i woukd be able to convert from my paperbacks to my kindle and now i don't think I could go back to them much less listening to audio books. I do listen to them on the way to work or on a road trip but prefer to actually read. I lose focus when listening.
Genaaa
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genaaa.html
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Post by Genaaa »

The only book I've liked that was an audio book was The Dan and Phil audio book. I think the main reason I liked it was based off the fact that it was Dan and Phil who were reading it.
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera
DB44
Currently Reading: Breaths in Winter
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-db44.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00REQKWGA

Post by DB44 »

To me this is just another way of reading a book. It is the content that is important, and each to their own. Amazon and whispersync have made it possible to seamlessly switch between the two with many books, and I do find myself doing this, not all the time, but increasingly often. If I'm reading a book and have an hours drive, I will sometimes listen to the Audiobook on the drive, then resume the book on arrival or return. I also find tts (text to speech) very good on some devices. I find the Ivona Nicole voice quite acceptable, though of course there can be some annoying aspects in listening via tts.

It appears that I am somewhat fortunate in that I can tolerate tts and audiobooks.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

I use physical (physical / ebooks) books and audiobooks differently and in a complementary manner. Books are my "go-to" medium in which to consume a story. For some reason I tend to treat "actually reading" as more important and will consume most of what I want to read in this manner. Audiobooks for me I reserve for either re-reads or books that I know I wont get to within a reasonable amount of time on my TBR. I basically always have an audiobook on the go, but only listen to it when actually reading is impossible (driving, biking, walking, cleaning, etc).
Ama Idim
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

I love reading but I'm yet to try an audio book, would love to do that
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Spontaneo
Favorite Book: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spontaneo.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Spontaneo »

No, I have not converted to audio books yet.

I would not be able to concentrate on listening to the book and concentrate on work.

I feel that if I had to listen to an audio book, I would have to lay on my bed and do nothing else but listen. Maybe during the night it would be OK. However, if during the day, your entire day would be gone.

:)
You Only Grow Old If You Want To
vaz222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vaz222.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by vaz222 »

I have never used audio books. I just don't like the idea at all. I can only listen to music, not books. Reading a story at my own pace is better for me then listening to audio and spacing out.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

I prefer to read books myself, but sometimes I wish I had a book I was reading on audio so I could enjoy while doing housework, taking a bath or long walks.
AlainaElric
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110

Post by AlainaElric »

"...yet" Is a little more like, "won't likely happen."
I don't like to use audiobooks or have anyone read to me. As someone who has mild hearing loss and aphasia it's much harder for me to actually process what someone reads to me; I need to be able to see the words.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”