Have You Converted to Audio Books Yet?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Re: Have You Converted to Audio Books Yet?

Post by Monet_va »

I will always prefer holding a book in my hands, but I've found audiobooks excellent for a long work commute or long drives. For me its a lot more enjoyable than listening to music!
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Nope. I kind of can't do audiobooks. It's hard to listen to podcasts, much less full books, because my attention keeps jumping.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eastandalchemy.html
Latest Review: Sir, I'm Not That Kind of Girl! by Mary Lynn Archibald
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eastandalchemy »

I used to listen to an audiobook every day when I had a 2-hour work commute. Because I spent so much time in my car, I often arrived home late and I was too tired to read. My local library had a good selection of audiobooks, which was great since it can be difficult to find used copies (I prefer to buy used books to support local shops). I don't listen to them as much anymore since changing jobs, but I like the idea mentioned above to listen while cleaning the house.
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

I haven't and I don't think I will anytime soon. I love reading books more than listening to audio and so I will stick to that unless I find reason to switch to audio books.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
Cardui
Currently Reading: Legal Guide for the Visual Artist
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Cardui »

I think I will always prefer reading a physical book but I really enjoy listening audio books while painting. It’s not the same experience for me but just a different way to enjoy books. The problem though is that the reader really impacts the story and it can be difficult to find good ones.
ElizaPeaks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by ElizaPeaks »

I will admit, I do use audiobooks! But primarily for assigned readings. I have a hard time keeping up with all of the reading that I'm assigned plus all of the other projects I have going on! It's so nice to be able to pop on an audiobook for class while I'm crafting or tidying up my room.
jkmalik
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jkmalik »

I haven't tried audiobooks. I don't know if they'd be similar to a podcast? I love podcasts, but podcasts center around a specific theme, as you know, and have a series of episodes connected to that theme.

However, I did work with someone once who said audiobooks helped her to "read faster". She "read" a lot of books. According to her, she had so many series she wanted to follow, but unfortunately, because of her busy lifestyle, she didn't have time to read everything. Thus, she checked out audiobooks from the library (she downloaded, I think), and read along with the audiobook.

I'm assuming the audiobooks were helpful, because they helped her keep a pace, and maybe helped her from getting distracted and wandering off, kind of like a treadmill might help you keep your pace set, instead of walking or running outside.

However, it kind of reminds of "popcorn reading" in school, where each student reads a little bit of the chapter. And, I could never pay attention to that and read at the same time.

So, if you're looking for a way to be a more "efficient reader", or if you are on a time constraint, or you want to dive into a story and multitask, or you're road tripping, audiobooks, ahoy!

However, if you just want to zone out and read, like me. Books for books, and podcasts and music for audio.

If you're into historical Hollywood and glamour, with some law and crime mixed in- you should listen to Karina Longworth's You Must Remember This.
jkmalik
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jkmalik »

sharon.gmc wrote: 26 Feb 2009, 02:09 I haven't tried audio books yet because I really love reading. I might try one though because these days. I have poetry audio books and the first time I listened to them, I can't understand them. I'd rather read poetry than listen. But that's just me.
It might depend on who is reading the poetry/narrating the audiobook. Poetry, orated, can sound beautiful. I remember going to Poetry Out Loud competitions in high school. I'd always lose, because I'd get so nervous, and one time, I forgot the last half of "Annabel Lee", which is ridiculous, because it's my favorite poem, but one of my friends won honorable mention for this amazing poem on cultural dualism. I wish I could remember what it was called.

I don't even think a lot of these poems were specifically meant to be "read out loud".

Thus, the problem just may be who is narrating this audiobook of poetry.

However, as you said, you'd rather read poetry. Poetry can be introspective, and I always find it to be much easier to be introspective quietly, rather than out loud.
sevillagirl18
Currently Reading: China rich girlfriend
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevillagirl18.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by sevillagirl18 »

I LOVE audiobooks. I prefer to use them for non-fiction books to help me learn something because I can listen while doing other activities or traveling and multitask. I still love a physical book when I'm reading fiction for enjoyment.
Savannah M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savannah-m.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Savannah M »

I tried listening to audiobook and I can't get focused so I stopped.
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennydelacruz.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Post by jennydelacruz »

What I love about audiobooks is that I can cook, do the dishes, iron the clothes, etc. while listening. Also, since I put it on speaker, my "non-reader" partner gets to listen to them and learn from what I've been listening to. I only listen to self-help, self-development, and any other audiobooks that will help us improve ourselves.
I am still a fan of traditional books, I love turning pages, highlighting significant lines, holding the book, and all the old-school ways of reading.
Jacktone Ogada
Currently Reading: A Cobbler's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacktone-ogada.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by Jacktone Ogada »

I don't need to since I use TTS apps, but it just complements my reading. I usually read along with the audio.
:tiphat: Lead by reading :techie-studyinggray:
Balena
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-balena.html
Latest Review: Black Beach by Olivia Rana

Post by Balena »

Nope, I have not, and I do not intend to.

I feel better when I read books to myself in my head. In my opinion, reading a book and listening to it are quite different, and I feel more comfortable reading it myself, without any audio.
DragonLight877
Favorite Author: Patrick Rothfuss
Favorite Book: The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonlight877.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov
fav_author_id: 3201

Post by DragonLight877 »

For some reason I feel uncomfortable with audio books. I don't like the feeling of this stranger reading to me. And all the weird things they do, like different character voices and sounds they make to sound like things happening. I don't know, I just don't like it.
Amy Murdoch Coleman
Favorite Book: Circe
Currently Reading: Hannah's War
Bookshelf Size: 6988
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-murdoch-coleman.html
Latest Review: Caretaker by George Farrell

Post by Amy Murdoch Coleman »

Since I have to make a 13-hour+ drive twice a year, audiobooks have become my saving grace. My husband and I love to listen to Dean Koontz books on these drives because they are so fast-paced and keep us awake at the wheel.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”