Goodreads: yay or nay?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
JodyVamp
Currently Reading: Undone
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodyvamp.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Re: Goodreads: yay or nay?

Post by JodyVamp »

I don't really use the forums, but I love goodreads. I use it to keep track of my reading lists, great way to get free books, and sometimes decent recommendation come up. Also, the reviews are less forcibly structured, so I basically just use it to make notes for myself as to whether or not a book is worth reading again or if an author is worth following up on.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

My favorite thing about Goodreads is the format of the bookshelves. I use it primarily to keep track of books I WANT to read. I also love staying connected with people I'm close to, like my sister, because even though we live in different countries, I can always see what she's reading and recommend books, etc. Beyond that, it has great book synopses!
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SparklesonPages »

I say yes. I enjoy posting and reading reviews on Goodreads.
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

I am an active user on Goodreads and am a big fan of it! It’s so much fun to participate in groups or challenges. Reading other people’s reviews and updates on books can be very addicting!
~Roxie~
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

When I'm searching for books to buy and I have doubts about one, Goodreads can be useful to understand if I'll like it so for me it's yay.
Ciao :)
Massimo
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

I’m not a member of Goodreads, but I definitely find myself on that site whenever I want to check reviews for a book that I want to read/buy. I use it mostly for reference.
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

I love Goodreads, have thousands of books cataloged there (sadly only 200+ made it over to OLBC). Goodreads has grown since it started so that any book, however ancient or obscure, will be in their database. They are not so good, though, at letting you know when one of your author's has a new book out. I use BookBub (a fairly newish site) for that.
kali09
Favorite Book: The Poppy War
Currently Reading: Ten Directions
Bookshelf Size: 32

Post by kali09 »

I love Goodreads! I have lots of books over there, but I mainly use it for the reading contest and quotes :techie-studyingbrown:
paraphelion
Favorite Book: How to Say Goodbye in Robot
Currently Reading: The American Girl
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paraphelion.html
Latest Review: Days Passed by Mcentry Dunbar II

Post by paraphelion »

Yay, for sure. I don't use the forums, however it's a fantastic way for me to keep track of the books I've read, and it helps me find new books by my favourite authors (the giveaways are also pretty nice)
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

I initially looked up Goodreads years ago because I was trying to find a place to track my lengthy reading history & future prospects. Today it is for this same purpose, and yay.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
kelso9326
Favorite Book: Life Expectancy
Currently Reading: Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelso9326.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by kelso9326 »

I use Goodreads for tracking books more than Online Book Club. I like their website a lot more honestly. Maybe I'm just not a fan of the forum format here or something like that. I've been using Goodreads for like 5 years and will probably never stop using it.
JennyorAlice
Currently Reading: Tales of the Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 151

Post by JennyorAlice »

Emma Woods wrote: 02 Mar 2016, 18:07 So have any of you done the suggestion thing for books? Like when I first signed up, I put in a title I have read, and it came up with (10?) suggested titles. That's how I got most of my "want to read" list.
I have not tried this. I didn't know you could do this on Goodreads. Now I am wondering why I haven't signed up on Goodreads a long time ago.
Aditi Sapate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi-sapate.html
Latest Review: Miracles Love a Believer by Stacy Manning Casaluci

Post by Aditi Sapate »

I love the forums too! They are such a great way to connect and talk about your mist bizarre book habits. But I do enjoy Goodreads too. Obviously, for different reasons. It's a good way to keep track of your TBR and the books you've read.
Reynaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reynaa.html
Latest Review: Sucsexful: by Rachel Martin

Post by Reynaa »

I love Good Reads. The interface is was easier to work with. It seems really outdated on this site 💁
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

I love GR. It works great for me because I keep track of everything I read on there, and I add the books to different categories. It also encourages me to keep reading and recommends me books that I might like. on top of that, I get to see what my friends are reading and become inspired by that also.
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”