Paperback or Hardcover?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Lexie Price 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lexie-price-2.html
Latest Review: Self-Help Sucks! by Tony Blankenship

Re: Paperback or Hardcover?

Post by Lexie Price 2 »

I'm definitely more of a paperback person. Hardcovers can be beautiful, but hard to maintain, plus flipping through the pages doesn't feel as simple.
kmwright98
Favorite Book: A Court of Mist and Fury
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by kmwright98 »

Paperback makes for a more convenient read. It’s much easier to hold in your hands. I think because of this I prefer paperback but I will buy hardcover if it means I’ll get the book right away versus waiting for the paperback version to come out. Especially if it’s a series and I’ve been waiting for the next book for awhile. Hardcovers also hold up better against wear and tear but paperback is also more inexpensive.
Chinedu Nwakaji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedu-nwakaji.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Chinedu Nwakaji »

Most times, after the stress during the day, I might need to lay down, pick up a book to enable me sleep faster..lol
On doing so, I would prefer a paperback which appears lighter than the hard cover.
Chinedu Nwakaji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedu-nwakaji.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Chinedu Nwakaji »

I will generally go for a paperback book. This is because it weighs lighter than that of the hardcover counterpart. Paperbacks are easy to read while in a relaxing position also. This is why I like them.
Taxel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Taxel »

I am always scared to bend paperbacks. I always prefer hardbacks even if they cost more, because I am just scared to read otherwise. I am currently reading the Picture of Dorian Gray as a paperback and I am noticing I am not opening it fully, making me read at an odd angle. Plus its corners are already bending :((
Ol Yinks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ol-yinks.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Ol Yinks »

I prefer paperbacks because they are easier to carry than hardcover
MargotP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by MargotP »

I guess I'm torned between both, paperbacks are just easier to handle and way lighter and often smaller and easier to put in a bag for example. I think they're the easiest for travel and stuff. However they break really easily and if not taken constantly care of (at least for me) they always end up with the spine broken. Hardcover on the other side are, in my opinion better because, one they are beautiful, the covers are always really simple but pretty, they are books that stay a really long time, no matter how many time you read them they never age badly. however they're often really heavy and sometimes to big to carry in a tote for example. They're also an investment, hardcovers are sometimes twice the price of a paper back and can be difficult to buy if you read 3 books a week.

I personally prefer hardcovers but mostly own paperbacks for financial and traveling reasons as I really dislike kindle and phone reading except for short stories.
Book Review Tub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-review-tub.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Book Review Tub »

I prefer hardcover. It feels so sturdy in my hands. It gives me the assurance of its presence. It is like a lover who grabs my hands and whispers in my ear that there will always be there.
Yasmyna Feraru
Favorite Book: The Catcher in the Rye
Currently Reading: Jack frusciante è uscito dal gruppo
Bookshelf Size: 47

Post by Yasmyna Feraru »

Paperback for reading and hardcover to keep on shelves. Usually hardcovers are much prettier but a pain in the a** to read
readingswithsoso
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingswithsoso.html
Latest Review: The Prophecy of the Heron by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by readingswithsoso »

Paperback because they are easier to handle. 👍 But the hardcovers are so beautiful.
Mercy Sos Christopher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-sos-christopher.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Mercy Sos Christopher »

Paperback always. I prefer paperback because It's cheaper than a hardcover. And also handy and less chunky.
Lori Anne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lori-anne.html
Latest Review: Backcomb & Tattoo by Shea R Embry

Post by Lori Anne »

I love paperback books. A lot of this has to do with the fact that I read laying on my back. Hardcovers are heavy.
Amy Fellows
Currently Reading: The Monster in the Hollows
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-fellows.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Amy Fellows »

I vote for hardbacks! I never had a preference until I had kids. Hardbacks stand the test of time but most paperbacks don’t. If it’s not an important book, then I’ll probably save money and get paperback. Have to save money somehow buying all these books!
Melissa Best
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: Love and Marriage
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-best.html
Latest Review: Chameleons by Martin Wyatt

Post by Melissa Best »

Hardcover for sure. Reading paperback, the bending of front and back covers is so sad to me because of the damage. I know a well worn book can be a sign of appreciation for it, but I personally don't like to see the bending and worn spine.
Katharina Hamer
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Katharina Hamer »

I love having hardcovers but paperbacks are just more practical. I don't feel like I have to be overly careful when i carry my paperbacks around or read them. Of course it's nice to have the beautiful hardcovers on the bookshelves but books are made to be read and to be used.

So I prefer paperbacks with folded pages, coffee staines and a broken spine. :)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”