Paperback or Hardcover?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
jsmyla
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsmyla.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Re: Paperback or Hardcover?

Post by jsmyla »

Truthfully? E-book. I have entirely too many books for any reasonable living space as is: they fill 3 tall bookcases with extra shelves I made and put in, and they’re still two books deep. I’ve been buying books since I could find enough couch cushion money so I never bought hardcover unless used or on sale cheaper than paperback and I still have those space issues. We’re not going to discuss how many hundreds of e-books I have 😓
I do not think that word means what you think it means- Inigo Montoya, “The Princess Bride” :eusa-think:
Nora Eliana
Currently Reading: Die Sekte - Es gibt kein Entkommen
Bookshelf Size: 2285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nora-eliana.html
Latest Review: The Vine by Adria L. Dunn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nora Eliana »

Definitely hardcover ... while true, they are heavier I actually prefer that while reading. Not while carrying it around (lol) but I like the weight in my hands while cosying up to read. And I also prefer how they look on my shelves. And in my country, some paperbacks cost basically the same as hardcovers so it's not that much of a difference. And for some weird reason, paperbacks are sometimes different heights in the same series, same publisher etc. Like just a couple of millimetres off ... but noticeable! Why??
AlexGrav
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexgrav.html
Latest Review: The Three Heavens by Paul Hitchiner

Post by AlexGrav »

I agree, but there is just something majestic about hard backs.
AlexGrav
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexgrav.html
Latest Review: The Three Heavens by Paul Hitchiner

Post by AlexGrav »

buy mostly paperbacks cause they are cheaper, but I prefer hardbacks
InboardGibbon
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by InboardGibbon »

I enjoy both but hardcovers are more expensive most of the time so paperbacks are more in my price range
T J 6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-j-6.html
Latest Review: Purpose by Gina Bianchini

Post by T J 6 »

I tend to go with paperbacks if I’m not reading on my Kindle. They are easier to manipulate and obviously less expensive. I do love a hard back book, though, and I will splurge on the really great ones.
BravoJedi
Favorite Author: Jason Albano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
fav_author_id: 259269

Post by BravoJedi »

Paperback for my general reads and hardcover for those special books close to my reader's heart. Even if I buy a book via eBook for sake of speed, 90% of the time I will get it in paperback down the road at some point.
Book author of A Story of the Beginning and the No Tears series.
Author Page: https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelves/author.php?a=259269

"I guess every once in a while both suns shine on a womp rats tail." - The Mandalorian
Hee Via
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hee-via.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Hee Via »

For me it’s definitely hardcover. I so much love the feel of it and it gives off this aesthetic vibe that just makes you want to keep going and not drop it although recently i’ve been stuck more with paperback but hardcover would still always be superior haha.
Hee Via
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Hee Via »

Nora Eliana wrote: 12 Apr 2023, 10:19 Definitely hardcover ... while true, they are heavier I actually prefer that while reading. Not while carrying it around (lol) but I like the weight in my hands while cosying up to read. And I also prefer how they look on my shelves. And in my country, some paperbacks cost basically the same as hardcovers so it's not that much of a difference. And for some weird reason, paperbacks are sometimes different heights in the same series, same publisher etc. Like just a couple of millimetres off ... but noticeable! Why??
I definitely agree with the part of cosying up to read as that is actually very satisfying and relieving especially after a stressful day and with a cup of tea but i’m gonna admit i’m also curious as to why they have difference in length, it removes the satisfaction that comes from arranging them.
Hee Via
Currently Reading:

Post by Hee Via »

Merits Anih wrote: 08 Apr 2023, 15:18 It's also worth considering the environmental impact of your choice of book format. While paperbacks may seem more eco-friendly due to their lower production cost and lighter weight, they often have a shorter lifespan and may need to be replaced more frequently. Hardcover books, while more durable, require more resources to produce and transport.
Although I believe hardcovers to be better than paperback in my opinion, i definitely agree with your opinion as well as it makes me look at it from a different point of view and I couldn’t agree more, they do have a shorter lifespan and always have to be handled with care.
Hee Via
Currently Reading:

Post by Hee Via »

Oluwatobilola Olu-awe wrote: 14 Mar 2023, 23:01 The real question is do you have money or not
I have to say, this reply really made me laugh lol but I mean it’s not like you aren’t right. It all comes down to whether or not you have the money for hardcover.
jsmyla
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsmyla.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by jsmyla »

^^^ Agreed. That’s why I have a ton of ebooks
I do not think that word means what you think it means- Inigo Montoya, “The Princess Bride” :eusa-think:
Kirsti Friesen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: A wrinkle in time
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsti-friesen.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Kirsti Friesen »

I prefer hardcover. I have several kids who are little and hard on books and I feel like the hardcovers hold up a little better with grubby little hands. I also ALWAYS keep a book on me and its usually in my purse, so a hard cover is going to withstand my large bag better than a paperback. That being said, I will buy paperback. I just prefer hardcover.
Towfiq Juma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-towfiq-juma.html
Latest Review: Addressing Systemic Discrimination by Reframing the Problem by Dr. Frank L. Douglas

Post by Towfiq Juma »

Hardcover for sure. Durability comes first for me.
Isabela Almeida
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabela-almeida.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Isabela Almeida »

I found the hardcover way prettier to display but to read a paperback is more comfortable to carry and read it

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”